The Student Room Group

Failed first year what are my options?

My current university requires you get 60% total in each unit to pass (advance to second year i imagine). At this point finishing up my final exams they have released the marks for the previous work before exams that counts towards grades, and it will basically be mathematically impossible for me to pass 1 unit and i will almost definetely fail 1 more (out of 6).
I hated those units in this course, i felt like no matter how much i tried/ studied for them i just couldn't do it, and i had to keep up with the other 4 units to which was no walk in the park. I probably could have studied harder earlier in the year which would have made the later year earlier, but when you're not really interested thats hard to do.
Anyway, i definitely want to go to university still. I'm more confident about the course i want to change to (Accounting and Finance or economics. I failed computer science, the units mainly involving coding in C or Java are the ones i failed). I want to start in sep 2016 to be honest, but i understand this might not be possible now, so i'l wait until 2017 if i must. I went to a top 10 UK uni with D*, D*, D* grades at A-level (BTEC in IT, i understand its not exactly the same as 3 A*'s in A-level to all unis).
I just want to know, what will happen with my current uni, i had booked accomadation for the 2nd year (a uni owned accomadation) and student finance keep telling me to sign up for another year, but i dont know whether i should since i don't think il be at uni for the next year (although im not sure yet).
I understand il be contact with them about this but i would like an idea what will happen, (whether they will just kick me out, or give me options to take other courses/resit). And also how other unis will view this and how likely they would accept me starting uni at 20 years old, having failed first year previously at another uni doing a different course. Finally any tips in general in my time in-between (if there will be any) would be appreciated.
Original post by Antby11
My current university requires you get 60% total in each unit to pass (advance to second year i imagine). At this point finishing up my final exams they have released the marks for the previous work before exams that counts towards grades, and it will basically be mathematically impossible for me to pass 1 unit and i will almost definetely fail 1 more (out of 6).

x

A requirement of 60% seems very high. Which uni is this?
As said the 60% thing seems very high. The mornal requirement is 40% but it might just be becayse of your subject.

What will happen nobody knows from here becayse the way each uni treats its students is individual to the Uni.

What I think will most likely happen is that you will be given an opportunity to resit and your grade for that course will be capped. It is unlikely first year results count for much. If you fail the resit, then you will be offered a chance to retake the module or year.

Its up to you to look at your departmental rules to see what happens. They will have been in the student handbook or on the website.

n the event that you wih neither to resit or retake , but prefer to leave, then its a case of fining Unis that will accpet you and whether its for a course you want. If you get to know whether you are leaving or decide to and wnat to transfer, then get contacting unis asap before the A level results come out.

Fo and speak to your student union reps and tutor as well as look up the rules.

Be very wary of funding as SFE will only allow 1 extra year of this sort.
Original post by Antby11
I hated those units in this course, i felt like no matter how much i tried/ studied for them i just couldn't do it, and i had to keep up with the other 4 units to which was no walk in the park. I probably could have studied harder earlier in the year which would have made the later year earlier, but when you're not really interested thats hard to do.
Anyway, i definitely want to go to university still. I'm more confident about the course i want to change to (Accounting and Finance or economics. I failed computer science, the units mainly involving coding in C or Java are the ones i failed). I want to start in sep 2016 to be honest, but i understand this might not be possible now, so i'l wait until 2017 if i must. I went to a top 10 UK uni with D*, D*, D* grades at A-level (BTEC in IT, i understand its not exactly the same as 3 A*'s in A-level to all unis).
I just want to know, what will happen with my current uni, i had booked accomadation for the 2nd year (a uni owned accomadation) and student finance keep telling me to sign up for another year, but i dont know whether i should since i don't think il be at uni for the next year (although im not sure yet).
I understand il be contact with them about this but i would like an idea what will happen, (whether they will just kick me out, or give me options to take other courses/resit). And also how other unis will view this and how likely they would accept me starting uni at 20 years old, having failed first year previously at another uni doing a different course. Finally any tips in general in my time in-between (if there will be any) would be appreciated.

the 20 years old bit isn't a problem, people start uni at any age. It's the having failed a year before previously. Student finance only fund one extra year unless there were extenuating circumstances such as illness at play so if you start a new degree you'll have to pay £9000 for the first year out of your own pocket.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
A requirement of 60% seems very high. Which uni is this?

Lancaster Uni, most other courses only need 40% here too but not computer science major units. To explain better, we need 40% total to pass overall, however the department requires we get above 60% in every major unit (which is 4 out of 6 units).
Original post by Antby11
Lancaster Uni, most other courses only need 40% here too but not computer science major units. To explain better, we need 40% total to pass overall, however the department requires we get above 60% in every major unit (which is 4 out of 6 units).

I had a look at the Lancaster regulations and came away thoroughly confused because of the grading scale they use. What does an 'aggregation scale of 10.3' mean? Of 9?
It sounds like your university has some pretty obscure rules.

SPEAK TO YOUR TUTOR - they'll be able to explain what happens if you fail a core module and should be able to help you sort out switching to a new course.

You MIGHT be able to stay at Lancaster if the departments all agree. If you like the uni apart from the course then that's worth exploring (again your tutor should be able to help).

If you want to go elsewhere then you'll need to apply via UCAS - with a reference from your current tutor (which is another reason to speak to them ASAP to talk about your options). Call universities you're interested in ASAP to ask if they're likely to have space available.

Finally FILL IN YOUR SFE APPLICATION ASAP - assume you'll be continuing on your current course at Lancaster. It's easy to change the course and uni details with SFE later on but if you miss the deadlines you risk spending Autumn term with no funding!
Reply 7
Original post by PQ
It sounds like your university has some pretty obscure rules.

SPEAK TO YOUR TUTOR - they'll be able to explain what happens if you fail a core module and should be able to help you sort out switching to a new course.

You MIGHT be able to stay at Lancaster if the departments all agree. If you like the uni apart from the course then that's worth exploring (again your tutor should be able to help).

If you want to go elsewhere then you'll need to apply via UCAS - with a reference from your current tutor (which is another reason to speak to them ASAP to talk about your options). Call universities you're interested in ASAP to ask if they're likely to have space available.

Finally FILL IN YOUR SFE APPLICATION ASAP - assume you'll be continuing on your current course at Lancaster. It's easy to change the course and uni details with SFE later on but if you miss the deadlines you risk spending Autumn term with no funding!

OK thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending