The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lion467
I haven't really gone over factions, what information would I include?

I would look at the influence of social conservatives/moderates in the Republican party, or the influence of the left or conservatives in the Democratic party as potential questions!
Original post by MelissaaC
What would you write for assess the significance of invisible primaries/ primaries ? could you say:

- Strong showing, Bush had a weak showing thus dropped out in January as he was too moderate in comparison to Rubio, Trump and Cruz
- Finance, Obama gained the endorsement of Oprah in 2007 and finance wise by October 2015 bush had already raised $120,000
- Media coverage, Trump has gained loads of free air time and has allowed him to become renowned amongst the public, invisible primaries is when he first introduced the idea of building a wall between Mexico = reaction amongst the media

I don't really know what else to say?

oh I've just planned this now :smile:
Okay so one paragraph would be just to define it and give an example (so you could use Trump/Clinton from 2016 and the wall example)

Then I personally have:
Important - narrows down the pool of candidates who know they won't get success in the actual primaries
Not Important - The invisible primaries have no political significance because it is no longer 'invisible' as candidates are announcing their campaign to run much earlier (I think Clinton announced her campaign only a month after the invisible primary began)

Then the last paragraph is just a judgement so you sum up whether it is important or not (I concluded that formally it's not important but it allows candidates to gain endorsements and gain recognition)

I think your points are really good though! Just add a definition at the beginning and it's a full essay. I feel like I've been taught it differently haha
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
oh I've just planned this now :smile:
Okay so one paragraph would be just to define it and give an example (so you could use Trump/Clinton from 2016 and the wall example)

Then I personally have:
Important - narrows down the pool of candidates who know they won't get success in the actual primaries
Not Important - The invisible primaries have no political significance because it is no longer 'invisible' as candidates are announcing their campaign to run much earlier (I think Clinton announced her campaign only a month after the invisible primary began)

Then the last paragraph is just a judgement so you sum up whether it is important or not (I concluded that formally it's not important but it allows candidates to gain endorsements and gain recognition)

I think your points are really good though! Just add a definition at the beginning and it's a full essay. I feel like I've been taught it differently haha

Oooh perfect thank you!! What do you mean by it has no political significance?? because it's a v good point I just don't know how I would expand it! Sorry to be annoying and keep asking questions!!
Does anyone have a plan / general idea for a 45-mark question on Obama's record on immgration, or any 45-mark question on immigration reform?
Oooh perfect thank you!! What do you mean by it has no political significance?? because it's a v good point I just don't know how I would expand it! Sorry to be annoying and keep asking questions!!

It's no problem, it's helping with my revision too :smile:

It is only a short period of time and it is not as politically important as the actual primary as there is no delegate vote at the end of the invisible primary. Popularity in the invisible primary does not always mean popularity in the actual primary/voting of the delegates. A good example would be that during the invisible primary in 2008 Clinton gained more endorsements than Obama yet he still won the nomination in the actual primary. :smile:
It's no problem, it's helping with my revision too :smile:

It is only a short period of time and it is not as politically important as the actual primary as there is no delegate vote at the end of the invisible primary. Popularity in the invisible primary does not always mean popularity in the actual primary/voting of the delegates. A good example would be that during the invisible primary in 2008 Clinton gained more endorsements than Obama yet he still won the nomination in the actual primary. :smile:

Thank you so much!! Hope this question comes up tomorrow now!! Praying it'll be a good paper
Thank you so much!! Hope this question comes up tomorrow now!! Praying it'll be a good paper

No problem! And same I'm so nervous! I have a 2 hour exam in the morning too :frown:
Hi, could anyone help me with structuring two part 15 mark questions? For example 'why do pressure groups seek to influence the Supreme Court, and what methods do they use?' I'm unsure whether to make 3 or 4 points on why and then interwine the methods or just to do 2 on why and 2 on methods?
Original post by chloe456
Hi, could anyone help me with structuring two part 15 mark questions? For example 'why do pressure groups seek to influence the Supreme Court, and what methods do they use?' I'm unsure whether to make 3 or 4 points on why and then interwine the methods or just to do 2 on why and 2 on methods?

I'd probably do one paragraph on why and two paragraphs on what methods they use because you can use more examples, but as long as you answer both part of the questions I don't think the examiners will particularly care!
Original post by Lion467
I haven't really gone over factions, what information would I include?

I found this article of the influence of the left in the Democratic party
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/02/no-liberals-dont-control-the-democratic-party/283653/
Original post by imaaniee
I found this article of the influence of the left in the Democratic party
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/02/no-liberals-dont-control-the-democratic-party/283653/

Thank you!!
What is meant by ‘party renewal’, and has it happened? - possibly as a 15 marker?
Original post by Lion467
What is meant by ‘party renewal’, and has it happened? - possibly as a 15 marker?

so, party renewal is the theory suggesting that parties are increasingly important in elections, fundraising, congress etc... could be argued that it is taking place due to:

- Parties regaining control over presidential candidate selection process, due to super delegates etc. (SDs had large influence in getting obama elected over clinton)
- Nationalising of campaigns, meaning parties are seen as less state-based and more ideologically cohesive. e.g. 2006 dem '6 for '06' and 2010 gop pledge to america.
- Increasingly partisan voting seen in congress --> obamacare passing without single gop, the extremely split impeachment and trial of clinton.

tbh i think they would use it as a 45 as you could then counter with the theories of party decline in USA..?
hope this helps- if anyone has any more recent examples though it'd help as well :smile:
Original post by Lion467

Yeah I saw this as well! Would probably do one paragraph on what it is and then one paragraph saying it has happened and talk about parties still funding candidates during elections e.g the Democrats and Obama raised $967 million for the 2012 election and Obama has just endorsed Hillary, also split ticket voting has declined and is now 19% but then I would also counter it and say it hasn't because pressure groups have taken up the role of political parties e.g think tanks and enthusing voters (rock the vote) and they are still broad coalitions so they don't have a particular ideological stance as the Democrats encompass progressive liberals, moderates and Conservatives
If the 45 marker was on pressure groups, what type do you think it would be? In 2013 (I think) the Pressure group question was about what determines PG success, so do you think it will be about how democratic they are?
got 5 paragraphs

- Relations with Mexico improved
- Deportation of the felons
- States
However he's failed
- Dream Act
- His executive orders can be overturned by next President
If the 45 marker was on pressure groups, what type do you think it would be? In 2013 (I think) the Pressure group question was about what determines PG success, so do you think it will be about how democratic they are?

Yeah it could be how undemocratic are pressure groups or along those lines
Reply 237

Maybe it could becwhether they are more influential than political parties?
Original post by nta786

What would points be for that? All I can think of is pressure group membership is higher than party membership
Original post by nta786

I'm hoping it's not that, it came up in 2014

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending