The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

[Official] UClan Q&A Section Thread 2016

Hi All,

This is the official Questions and Answers thread, I will be providing links to different sections of UCLAN that may be of interest to you.

If there are any other questions or queries, please either post in the thread or send us a private message.

Search for a course:
Course Search

Beginning a Application:
Application Page

Book on one of our Open Day:
Opens Days

Already an Applicant?:
Applicant Days

We welcome all International Applicants:
International Students

Want a taste of University Life?:
Flying Start Program

Thinking of Further Study?:
Postgraduate Study

Information on the fees:
Fees and Funding

Looking to live at University?:
Student Accommodation

A number of research opportunties:
UClan Research Busaries and Studentships
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
How would I find out the start date of pre reg nursing. Sept 16? I know nursing courses don't follow the standard uni term dates.
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Original post by kjp06
How would I find out the start date of pre reg nursing. Sept 16? I know nursing courses don't follow the standard uni term dates.

Hi kjp06,

I will contact the relevant people for you now, I hope to get a reply by the end of the day,

Regards,

Adam
Hi, I received an offer for music production in january and they called me today to book an interview?! What's that about? I already got the offer...
Reply 4
Hello,
I've got my unconditional offer, and also applied for accommodation to uni halls. When is moving in day at UCLan? And does everyone move in on the same day, or is there a system?
Thanks!
Original post by EGCrowe
Hello,
I've got my unconditional offer, and also applied for accommodation to uni halls. When is moving in day at UCLan? And does everyone move in on the same day, or is there a system?
Thanks!

Hi EGCrowe,

I have received a message from the accommodation services, they ask to e-mail - [email protected]. This is so you can receive the most accurate information about your moving day.

You should get a quick reply today!

Regards,

Adam
Reply 6
Great, I'll do that. Thank you very much!
Original post by Adam & Molly @ UCLan
Hi EGCrowe,

I have received a message from the accommodation services, they ask to e-mail - [email protected]. This is so you can receive the most accurate information about your moving day.

You should get a quick reply today!

Regards,

Adam
Original post by Rcknrll182
Hi, I received an offer for music production in january and they called me today to book an interview?! What's that about? I already got the offer...

Hi Rcknrll182,

I have sent a private message to you about this, please get back to me ASAP!

Regards,

Adam
Original post by kjp06

Hi kjp06,

Terribly sorry for the delay, the department misplaced my e-mail.

The start date for Pre-reg nursing is 19th September 2016.

I hope that answer your question, if you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Regards,

Adam
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi Molly/Adam

Please could you explain the difference between term and semester dates?
image.png
Original post by Excited
Hi Molly/Adam

Please could you explain the difference between term and semester dates?
image.png

Hi Excited,

Term dates are relative to the teaching of lecturers.

Semesters is the length of the academic year.

For example you see that term one ends on the 16th December 2016, this is before the Christmas holidays, it is the same with Term 2 and Term 3 which end before Easter and before the Summer break up respectively.

So your teaching usually ends early-mid May, but you may still have assignments/exams in Semester 3. Tutors are still available during this time, but they will not be teaching (useless otherwise stated). Most exams and assignments end early-mid May for Undergraduates (depending on what course).

Semester 3 is usually there for Postgraduate courses, since you use that Semester for Dissertation. But this were undergraduates break up for the summer holidays.

Hope that clears it up!

Regards,

Adam
Reply 11
Hi Excited,

Term dates are relative to the teaching of lecturers.

Semesters is the length of the academic year.

For example you see that term one ends on the 16th December 2016, this is before the Christmas holidays, it is the same with Term 2 and Term 3 which end before Easter and before the Summer break up respectively.

So your teaching usually ends early-mid May, but you may still have assignments/exams in Semester 3. Tutors are still available during this time, but they will not be teaching (useless otherwise stated). Most exams and assignments end early-mid May for Undergraduates (depending on what course).

Semester 3 is usually there for Postgraduate courses, since you use that Semester for Dissertation. But this were undergraduates break up for the summer holidays.

Hope that clears it up!

Regards,

Adam

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation Adam!
Reply 12
Where do we get parcels delivered to if your staying in Halls?
Original post by EGCrowe
Where do we get parcels delivered to if your staying in Halls?

Hi EGCrowe,

Which halls are you staying in? When I was in Eden, there was a shared letterbox and everyone in the flat had access to a key. For bigger parcels, the postman would ring on your flat and you would come and collect it.

Hope this helps,

Adam
Reply 14
Hi EGCrowe,

Which halls are you staying in? When I was in Eden, there was a shared letterbox and everyone in the flat had access to a key. For bigger parcels, the postman would ring on your flat and you would come and collect it.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Hi, Im going to be in Ribble! if you arent in when a parcel arrives, do they take it back to the post office? Thanks
Original post by EGCrowe
Hi, Im going to be in Ribble! if you arent in when a parcel arrives, do they take it back to the post office? Thanks

Hi again,

Sorry for the delayed response! Yes bigger parcels are taken to Christian Road Royal Mail Depot (if sent by RM). It is about a 15 minute walk from Ribble halls, They should leave a parcel slip in the letterbox if no-one is in.

Hope this helps!

Adam
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Hi, what specifically do you learn in the health and social care foundation certificate? Because I tried to look at the specification and I didn't completely understand it.
Thanks
Original post by Pricey98
Hi, what specifically do you learn in the health and social care foundation certificate? Because I tried to look at the specification and I didn't completely understand it.
Thanks

Hi :smile:

The course we have available on our website is delivered at two of our partner institutions - St Mary's College and Kendal College, so you would study it at one of those institutions instead of here at UCLan.

The course content depends on the institution, so if you were interested in that you would have to contact the college directly. Following this course, you could come and study Health and Social Care at UCLan starting from Year 1.

If you have any more questions let me know!

Molly
Hello,
I have to put down my choices for accommodation. I am confused about Pendle hall- it is a "self-contained flat". Could someone please explain what a self-contained flat is? Is it an en-suite flat or do we have to share the bathroom? What are the facilities we would have to share?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending