The Student Room Group

D in GCSE Maths with a First class degree in CS - Advice

Not sure if this is the right place to be seeking advice, so apologies in advance.

I'll start with some background, to hopefully give you some context on my situation.

I left school with a good set of GCSEs in Physics, Biology (failed Chemistry), English Language and Literature etc. I failed GCSE Maths, leaving on a D. After sitting it 3 times, on the foundation paper which it makes it all the more worse.

I went onto college to take on an Extended Diploma in IT, where I acquired a D*D*D* after 2 years. Which I think I was lucky to get on, as they explicitly asked a C or above in Maths.

Fast forward to my extended diploma award date, I hadn't actually applied to university, even though I wanted to. I just didn't think I'd get in, as a lot of my preferred universities were asking for a C or above for admittance to Computer Science. My plan was to take another year at the college to re-take my GCSE then apply. However, one of my tutors encouraged me to try and get on a course through clearing, and to my surprise I did so that plan went out of the window.

Now fast forward three years. I am now in my final year, ready to graduate this year, with a (scraped) first class (all my provisional grades are released). The problem now is I still have that D on the back of my mind (and my CV), and worried it's going to reflect negatively. I'm already applying for as many graduate schemes/roles as I can, and so far it's going better than expected, with a few interviews lined up, but there is a lot I'm not hearing back from and I'm worried that D is the reason.

I'm just wondering if it's even at all worth going back to college at this stage to re-take the GCSE (considering distance learning, but it's free at my college back home, for students enrolling with a D). It'll be really painful having to take a year out to study, whilst my cohort are going directly into graduate schemes/jobs.

What would any of you do? I feel now I'm more mature, I could easily take on the GCSE, I just don't want to be hindered by taking another year out to study when I could be working.
Original post by Pedderp
I just don't want to be hindered by taking another year out to study when I could be working.

I would say go back and get at least a C. You have your whole life to work, 1 year of study will help you in the future. Plus, everyone that retakes their exams (or does A Level for example) always says GCSE is much easier than it felt at the time. Good luck anyway!
Original post by Pedderp

I would think that if you have a first-class degree in CS, you would be able to do GCSE Maths without a year of study (or indeed without any study).
Reply 3
Thanks for the responses. Going to try and look into registering as an external candidate (I think I can do this?).
Reply 4
Original post by Pedderp
Thanks for the responses. Going to try and look into registering as an external candidate (I think I can do this?).

Yes you can. The next opportunity to take it is in November (you need to be entered by the end of September). You could just find a exam centre willing to accept you as a private candidate and teach yourself - there are loads of resources and videos on line.
Reply 5
I got an E in maths at school and I got to 40 and wanted to change this so I did loads of past papers and say it again last week and I'm confident I have the C I've always wanted , just proves it can be done ( hopefully) better late than never lol . Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by paulab123
I got an E in maths at school and I got to 40 and wanted to change this so I did loads of past papers and say it again last week and I'm confident I have the C I've always wanted , just proves it can be done ( hopefully) better late than never lol . Good luck!

That was meant to be sat it last week

Quick Reply

Latest