The Student Room Group

How to tackle anxiety when writing in English?

I am very excited today because I am going to visit my new school. This is a typical English school and it is for girls only. They offered me a place based on my performance of the interview and my academic results. Also, they have probably contacted my previous school to get me a reference.

Although everything goes well, I am still worried that I may not be able to do well in my study. I choose a lot of humanity subjects, which means there will be a lot of pieces of essay to write. I don't mind writing essays but my fluency of English really stress me out. I am worried that the teachers will criticise me a lot because I cannot write like a native speaker. I tend to change my wording constantly and to correct myself but this is not helpful at all. This habit actually brings down my efficiency and makes the essay sounds even more unnatural.

What's interesting is, sometimes I feel I can write better when I stop thinking of the grammar. The words flow better when I am relaxed. However, it is difficult to control my anxiety, especially when I want to do well.

Can anyone help?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellen_419
X

What's your first language?
Tagging someone that might know something about this.
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
What's your first language?
Tagging someone that might know something about this.

My native language is Chinese.

I see. Well, it would be helpful to know that most teachers would be understanding of this fact and wouldn't get angry with you or anything. Most native speakers of English can't write perfectly either, and regularly make errors, so just try to keep that in mind. :smile:
Be sure to get plenty of practice in writing and jsut read a number of different types of text before you start in this new school. This may help to give you a better grasp of different texts and improve your fluency! :smile:
Reply 5
Your post here was fine. Didn't spot any errors, nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by emmarough
Be sure to get plenty of practice in writing and jsut read a number of different types of text before you start in this new school. This may help to give you a better grasp of different texts and improve your fluency! :smile:

Yes. I have considered it as one of my solution. However, whenever I write I tend to feel stressful which is rather weird. I don't like this psychological reaction and I think it will affect my study a lot.

By the way, how do you feel the post I've just wrote? Does it sound fluent?

Even some native English speakers can't string or write a sentence in English grammatically correct.
Reply 8
Original post by Hydeman
I see. Well, it would be helpful to know that most teachers would be understanding of this fact and wouldn't get angry with you or anything. Most native speakers of English can't write perfectly either, and regularly make errors, so just try to keep that in mind. :smile:

Ok. I will try. Thank you:h:
Reply 9
Original post by justag
Your post here was fine. Didn't spot any errors, nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?!! This is such a great comfort to me.:u:
Yes. I have considered it as one of my solution. However, whenever I write I tend to feel stressful which is rather weird. I don't like this psychological reaction and I think it will affect my study a lot.

By the way, how do you feel the post I've just wrote? Does it sound fluent?

Practice makes perfect and writing as a kind of "hobby" during the holidays will help to take the pressure off of a teacher 'looming' over your work if that makes sense and turning off spelling and grammar checker until you're finished will help to improve it even more and definitely! You're obviously highly academic and I couldn't tell until you said that English isn't your first language, I'm sure you'll continue to adapt to the changes though just keep on practising, plenty of English work and you should be fine!

Hi !
My native language is French and I applied abroad for English programms, my English is not 100% perfect and I still make a few mistakes when I am writing.

I am fluent since 3 years only and I was very stressed out at 1st because of the mistakes and stuff , I was so afraid to be judged. But people are very understanding of all of this ! I am not in the schools I applied yet, but I could talk to a few teachers etc, and they did not judge me at all, even though I noticed after sending my mails that I've made a few mistakes :afraid: :lol:

So yes, really don't worry about it everyone will perfectly understand your situation ! To be fair, teachers tend to like foreign students because they had the courage to go abroad :yep:

Also, If you practise you won't be that stressed. I joined TSR to practise my English, I was suuuuper stressed at 1st, then you got so used to it that you're not stressed anymore, I promise !

Anyway good luck with your new school, if you have any questions don't hesitate :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 12
Practice makes perfect and writing as a kind of "hobby" during the holidays will help to take the pressure off of a teacher 'looming' over your work if that makes sense and turning off spelling and grammar checker until you're finished will help to improve it even more and definitely! You're obviously highly academic and I couldn't tell until you said that English isn't your first language, I'm sure you'll continue to adapt to the changes though just keep on practising, plenty of English work and you should be fine!

I am reading The Economist and Bill Bryson's work. Sometimes I struggle but they should be able to help in long-term. I will try my best!:h:
I am reading The Economist and Bill Bryson's work. Sometimes I struggle but they should be able to help in long-term. I will try my best!:h:

Ooh very good! As long as you put as much work in as possible there's no more that you can do. Little slip-ups mean nothing in the long run and chinese is a very different language to English, I tried it for a year but it was so difficult, I'm sure you'll be fine and you wouldn't have gotten in if it was that bad!!
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
if you have any questions don't hesitate :h:

Can you recommend a good proofreader? :cookie:
Original post by Hydeman
Can you recommend a good proofreader? :cookie:

Evil Homme Caché :colone:
Sure !

Spoiler

:innocent:
Reply 16
Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Hi !
My native language is French and I applied abroad for English programms, my English is not 100% perfect and I still make a few mistakes when I am writing.

I am fluent since 3 years only and I was very stressed out at 1st because of the mistakes and stuff , I was so afraid to be judged. But people are very understanding of all of this ! I am not in the schools I applied yet, but I could talk to a few teachers etc, and they did not judge me at all, even though I noticed after sending my mails that I've made a few mistakes :afraid: :lol:

So yes, really don't worry about it everyone will perfectly understand your situation ! To be fair, teachers tend to like foreign students because they had the courage to go abroad :yep:

Also, If you practise you won't be that stressed. I joined TSR to practise my English, I was suuuuper stressed at 1st, then you got so used to it that you're not stressed anymore, I promise !

Anyway good luck with your new school, if you have any questions don't hesitate :h:

Thank you! I feel so much more confident and relaxed. I will try my best to improve my English at my new school. Good luck to you too!
Reply 17
Ooh very good! As long as you put as much work in as possible there's no more that you can do. Little slip-ups mean nothing in the long run and chinese is a very different language to English, I tried it for a year but it was so difficult, I'm sure you'll be fine and you wouldn't have gotten in if it was that bad!!

Thank you very much. I feel like a relief because I was always worrying about my grammar and vocabulary. In fact, I shouldn't think about them that much and just carry on with what I am doing! Are you still learning Chinese at the moment? If so, I am very happy to help at any time.:biggrin:
Thank you very much. I feel like a relief because I was always worrying about my grammar and vocabulary. In fact, I shouldn't think about them that much and just carry on with what I am doing! Are you still learning Chinese at the moment? If so, I am very happy to help at any time.:biggrin:

You shouldn't do! I'm sure it will develop further overtime and your accuracy improve which is a huge part of being a student and you shouldn't let it affect you! Just know you're doing ace and I'm not sorry :frown: I took French instead because I was guaranteed a better grade as it was my strongest second language
Reply 19
You shouldn't do! I'm sure it will develop further overtime and your accuracy improve which is a huge part of being a student and you shouldn't let it affect you! Just know you're doing ace and I'm not sorry :frown: I took French instead because I was guaranteed a better grade as it was my strongest second language

That's alright. In fact, I took Chinese in my GCSE too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending