The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Biology 2016 Predictions thread (F214/F215)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dahlx
Not sure if this was directed at me, but I thought I'd share my list anyway! It's mainly just a guess from what came up last year and the year before that (and I happened to guess fairly accurately for the F212 exam on Tuesday so hopefully my luck will continue haha). I've split the list into two sections, one being topics/questions that came up last year and therefore might be unlikely come up again, and topics that didn't come up so may be in this years paper. Ideally you should revise everything, but with only about a week to the exam, you kind of have to prioritise topics (or at least I do anyway):

F214 - Topics that came up in 2015:
Structure and how adaptations relate to functionality of chloroplasts
Limiting factors of photosynthesis
Adrenaline
Insulin secretion
Where reactions happen within the mitochondria
Anaerobic vs Aerobic respiration
Dialysis
Motor Neurone structure vs Sensory Neurone structure
Homeostasis

F214 - What could come up this year:
Action potentials and depolarisation
Synapses
Ornithine cycle
Osmoregulation
General kidney function
1st/2nd messengers
Control of heart rate
Structure of liver lobules
Oxidative phosphorylation and respiration in general (as wasn't in last years exam)
Diabetes - causes of, treatments etc
The pancreas - glucose regulation with insulin and glucagon etc.

Those are just what I'll personally be cramming before the exam, but OCR seem to like catching people out with unlikely questions on topics... so best to cover everything the best you can!

Amazing. Do you have anything for f215 if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by ImNervous
Amazing. Do you have anything for f215 if you don't mind me asking?

Not at the moment, I'll try to get it done today or tomorrow and I'll post it on here. :smile:
Original post by dahlx
Not at the moment, I'll try to get it done today or tomorrow and I'll post it on here. :smile:

Thanks you very much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by dahlx
Thank you for this list, has helped me to make one of my own :smile: Though, surely anaerobic respiration is fairly unlikely to come up as there was a 5 marker in last year's paper?

I was first thinking this too, but it hasn't been tested much over all the past papers. i don't think a long question will come up, maybe just 2-3 marks
Original post by dahlx
Thank you for this list, has helped me to make one of my own :smile: Though, surely anaerobic respiration is fairly unlikely to come up as there was a 5 marker in last year's paper?

Oh could i see you list please? :smile:
thanks!
Reply 45
Original post by bakedbeans247
Oh could i see you list please? :smile:
thanks!

I posted my F214 one on the previous page of this thread. I'll try to do F215 tomorrow (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dahlx
Not sure if this was directed at me, but I thought I'd share my list anyway! It's mainly just a guess from what came up last year and the year before that (and I happened to guess fairly accurately for the F212 exam on Tuesday so hopefully my luck will continue haha). I've split the list into two sections, one being topics/questions that came up last year and therefore might be unlikely come up again, and topics that didn't come up so may be in this years paper. Ideally you should revise everything, but with only about a week to the exam, you kind of have to prioritise topics (or at least I do anyway):

F214 - Topics that came up in 2015:
Structure and how adaptations relate to functionality of chloroplasts
Limiting factors of photosynthesis
Adrenaline
Insulin secretion
Where reactions happen within the mitochondria
Anaerobic vs Aerobic respiration
Dialysis
Motor Neurone structure vs Sensory Neurone structure
Homeostasis

F214 - What could come up this year:
Action potentials and depolarisation
Synapses
Ornithine cycle
Osmoregulation
General kidney function
1st/2nd messengers
Control of heart rate
Structure of liver lobules
Oxidative phosphorylation and respiration in general (as wasn't in last years exam)
Diabetes - causes of, treatments etc
The pancreas - glucose regulation with insulin and glucagon etc.

Those are just what I'll personally be cramming before the exam, but OCR seem to like catching people out with unlikely questions on topics... so best to cover everything the best you can!

Thanks! :smile:
So you think those diabetes questions will come up, aw man i hate those! :frown: But haven't they come up a lot in recent years already? Oh and are you talking about pages 26-27?
And im not sitting f215 btw, pheeew :P
Thanks! :smile:
So you think those diabetes questions will come up, aw man i hate those! :frown: But haven't they come up a lot in recent years already? Oh and are you talking about pages 26-27?
And im not sitting f215 btw, pheeew :P

I don't think the insulin side of diabetes will come up, I think it will be more the other lot and type 1 and type 2 type questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by OriginaSid
I don't think the insulin side of diabetes will come up, I think it will be more the other lot and type 1 and type 2 type questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed. My teacher also said this
Reply 49
Original post by sfarquhar0

This is true - I was just thinking it could come up as to do with homeostasis or for exocrine/endocrine type questions, and it seems to have come up pretty regularly other than last year, seems like OCR like asking about it so I thought there's no reason why it might not be back! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50

Original post by dahlx
This is true - I was just thinking it could come up as to do with homeostasis or for exocrine/endocrine type questions, and it seems to have come up pretty regularly other than last year, seems like OCR like asking about it so I thought there's no reason why it might not be back! :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your teachers are so nice!! My teachers don't tell me anything ahaha
Just posting 2015 papers here since i can't attach them in PM's? And no, sorry, i don't have f212!

GL with exams, god willing we will smash them!
Just posting 2015 papers here since i can't attach them in PM's? And no, sorry, i don't have f212!

GL with exams, god willing we will smash them!

Legend

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Hey man the MS is still not working for that practice paper you posted. Please help.
Reply 54
Any ideas on what the big mark questions will be?
Also the negative feedback and ectotherms/endotherms responses, you don't think it is possible to come up?
So glad I spent the 2 months after mocks hammering biology so i could focus on other subjects closer to exams. Going over this stuff now seems so easy :smile: roll on F214
@sfarquhar0 Fantastic thread, thank you thank you! I do love adding a bit of structure to my cramming :smile:

What is meant by not the insulin stuff on diabetes 😂
Hello all. Just thought I would compile a list of predictions for F214 and F215 exams based on teachers and my personal ideas. Feel free to add c:

F214:
Excretion
- ornithine cycle
- (possibly) cause of respiratory acidosis
- detoxification
- selective reabsorbtion

Photosynthesis
- experiments (most likely an application question)

Communication
- maintaining a resting potential
- local currents
- myelination (benefits)
- adrenaline (use of first and second messengers)
- control of heart rate

Respiration
- coenzymes (used where)
- oxidative phosphorylation & evidence for
- anaerobic respiration
- respiratory substrates

What is meant by local currents?
Original post by AlexH123
What is meant by local currents?

This refers to the action potential moving down the cell as sodium ions diffuse along.

Quick Reply

Latest