The Student Room Group

Why are the majority of invigilators old?

what the title says (?)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:colonhash:bump
I have no idea, I always have this old invigilator and she always looks and acts like she's going to die especially when she collects our papers I thought she was going to collapse
(edited 7 years ago)
Because many have got no GCSE's or Uni grades so are not able to get any idea of the papers and share them on and help students with questions.
Wait, why did you delete the pic...oh....
Because their wives died 20 years ago, and the only opportunity they have to cure this crippling loneliness is to spend two weeks in a sports hall every year where they are within smelling distance of 15-year-olds. The tragedy is that they don't even get to talk to the kids or their colleagues. They are forced to imagine conversation they might have with this youthful crowd as they stand there watching; and for them this is enough.
When people are old and lonely invigilating just keeps them busy since it's quite a relaxed 'job' without any requirements and for them it still feels like they are doing something useful. Where I live, most of the old, retired people are either exam invigilators or magistrates.
Reply 7
A lot of them are ex teachers... I guess it's just another way to earn money in a relaxed ish way.
Most of the invigilators at my school are lovely, the kind of people you would expect to have as a grandparent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Younger ones have better things to do. Probably an easy albeit boring way to be involved in the education system, which is presumably something they enjoy since they are mostly ex teachers. I've no idea if they get paid for it, I assume they do.

A lot of the other comments here are pretty disgusting. They're people too, guys.
It's a little bit of pocket money for retired/semi-retired people.
I suspect because it would be difficult to support yourself financially off some occasional work that happens for two months of the year. This is therefore going to only be an option to those not in full time employment/education, namely the retired.

I've no idea if there are any requirements regarding qualifications or anything like that which might also exclude many younger people interested.
Reply 11
Original post by homeland.lsw
Wait, why did you delete the pic...oh....

someone keeps on deleting my posts...wtf
Original post by s.mo
someone keeps on deleting my posts...wtf

if your posts are being deleted, that means you're breaking the rules. If you have any queries it's best to post in AtCT!
Original post by Lord Hoffman
Because their wives died 20 years ago, and the only opportunity they have to cure this crippling loneliness is to spend two weeks in a sports hall every year where they are within smelling distance of 15-year-olds. The tragedy is that they don't even get to talk to the kids or their colleagues. They are forced to imagine conversation they might have with this youthful crowd as they stand there watching; and for them this is enough.

That was so dark :biggrin:
Because you're either a genius who finished the examination paper well ahead of time or most probably an idiot who did not prepare enough and is left with no other option than to kill time by looking around and making 'discoveries'.
Eureka!? .-.
Reply 15
Original post by The Joker ~
Because you're either a genius who finished the examination paper well ahead of time or most probably an idiot who did not prepare enough and is left with no other option than to kill time by looking around and making 'discoveries'.
Eureka!? .-.

what does this have to do with their age :colonhash:
Original post by s.mo
what does this have to do with their age :colonhash:

Perspective young Robin~ !! Persective~ xd
They age more quickly watching students sit exams
Well at my school, the invigilators are nearly all women... Probably differs by the school, but i think it comes down to "who has the time?" (More women / elderly choose not to work than men / young people)
Reply 19
all the invigilators I've had are foreign and fairly young

Quick Reply

Latest