The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Also guys, is reliability and validity of diagnosis different to reliability and validity of dsm? So we need to know both?
Original post by Jablonski
Who did that study that showed afro americans were more likely to be diagnosed with SZ and white people more likely to get diagnosed with mood disorders?

neighbors et al
Original post by harrietaa
neighbors et al

nah it was Cooper et al
Original post by benhartley05
nah it was Cooper et al

Oh, in my textbook it says Neighbors :/ maybe they found the same thing
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
its because they give you a little description of the study and want you to evluate it from that

you need to know all the key issues from all 5 approaches last year
Oh, in my textbook it says Neighbors :/ maybe they found the same thing

never heard of neighbours we dont use textbooks in my school but Cooper found - 'US+UK psychologists were shown the same video exhibiting the same actions - NY psychs diagnosed schiz twice aften often as London psychs who diagnosed mania & dep twice as often'
Reply 606
Can someone help me out by explaining the environmental breeder hypothesis as a second explanation for schizophrenia? I'm having trouble knowing what key points I should write
Reply 607
as it says on the spec we need to know a study for field, lab, interviews, case studys correlational stuff ect.. (cant remember what else jeez theres so many) do we need to know the studies in full detail? aim method results conclusion evaluation?! I really hope not...how do they expect us to remember so much? we're not superhuman!
neighbors et al

that's the one, yep. neighbors et al 2003
Original post by rileystringer1
Thanks dude! Yh I think I'm gonna have to.. nature/nurture can do one cos it came up last year, things like ethics studies and contributions I'll just skim over cos after all contributions can be blagged to some extent

They better let me revise after french ! Ill just make a few sticky notes on the things I find hard to remember (like social causation which is wishy washy) and take them for tomorrow as well as my prac/key issue notes so i dont feel like ive got as much to revise

Good luck all . I know I'll need it

i find social explanation hard to remember as well. bleh.
with contributions you really only need to know how it's useful to society, basically, right? i mean haven't seen a question that means you need to explain the whole thing. i dunno. i'm going through 18 markers now because they require different elements and i need to learn how they need to be answered.

Original post by FemaleBo55
No you do need to remember compulsory studies and experiments because the conference we went to the edexcel psychology examiner said that we must be able to evaluate it and suggest improvements

Posted from TSR Mobile

so an improvement for Milgram could be 'in order to not deceive ps he should have told them the true aim so they could have given their informed consent' is that right? i can suggest something even it means that another part of the study will lack?

and what else did the examiners say o: anything about social control? any tips generally?
Original post by chickenfoot
with contributions you really only need to know how it's useful to society, basically, right? i mean haven't seen a question that means you need to explain the whole thing. i dunno. i'm going through 18 markers now because they require different elements and i need to learn how they need to be answered.

so an improvement for Milgram could be 'in order to not deceive ps he should have told them the true aim so they could have given their informed consent' is that right? i can suggest something even it means that another part of the study will lack?

and what else did the examiners say o: anything about social control? any tips generally?

Dno if you'd get the mark for saying 'don't decieve ppts', I'm doing it as an ethics study and my improvement is 'choose a less distressing task such as taking points as oppose to administering shocks'
Original post by rileystringer1
Dno if you'd get the mark for saying 'don't decieve ppts', I'm doing it as an ethics study and my improvement is 'choose a less distressing task such as taking points as oppose to administering shocks'

thanks. what's one for Hofling? if you're doing that. please :h:
Does anyone have detailled notes on the last 2 spec points about nature and nature?!! I lost my notes for that!! I've looked for the past 1hour :frown: !!!
you need to know all the key issues from all 5 approaches last year

apparently you dont as they tend to never come up due to them being the same thing as contributions
Original post by chickenfoot

I dont think that would be worthy for a mark, as deceiving the participants was important to avoid demand characteristrics otherwise the study would be completely useless. Also Milgram and his team predicted none of the participants would go to 450 volts

I think a better way to improve the study would be to maybe emphasise the right to withdraw more
(edited 7 years ago)
apparently you dont as they tend to never come up due to them being the same thing as contributions

they do come up every other year or so and tend to be worth no less than 5 marks - usually 5-8 so not worth the risk - help with revision for contributions as well as info from key issues can be applied to contributions but contributions info cant really be applied to key issues if you don't know what the key issues are and what eval points they have for them
they do come up every other year or so and tend to be worth no less than 5 marks - usually 5-8 so not worth the risk - help with revision for contributions as well as info from key issues can be applied to contributions but contributions info cant really be applied to key issues if you don't know what the key issues are and what eval points they have for them

key issue has never come up or issues and debates
key issue has never come up or issues and debates

i am literally doing a past paper and the question is evaluate a key issue you studied on your course - not from clinical
i am literally doing a past paper and the question is evaluate a key issue you studied on your course - not from clinical

what year?
Reply 619
do you guys think its easy to get an E or D in this exam opposed to a C or above? Like is it easy to lose marks on different questions? urgh i need a C in it so bad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending