The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tinka99
It took you 2 years to gather evidence? I have never heard of the process taking so long.

Yep. Maybe other schools don't tell the students what's being sent off as evidence. My SENCo told me everything she was sending off, so I know that in total, it was around 2 years to collect everything I needed to supply the exam board with full evidence I needed it.
Original post by Shiba_Inu
As someone who gets 25% extra time, I think it's perfectly fair for certain people to receive extra time. People who say to me it's not fair that I get more time often do not understand the reasons why I get extra time. I get extra time because my processing speed is incredibly low (my test result was below the first percentile) and because I find it difficult to concentrate (so if my mind wanders during the exam, I still have time to finish it).

I do understand however that indeed, it is unfair when people cheat the system to receive extra time. However, it is incredibly difficult to successfully do this, as you must have evidence that before the extra time you were underperforming and not finishing exams, have a low test score in at least 1 section that supports any disability you have, and mountains of evidence that after receiving extra time your exam results are improving.

In total, it took me 2 years to gather all the evidence I needed, so unless you fail exams on purpose for 2 years and fail the test on purpose, then you shouldn't be able to get extra time for no reason in exams.

Why shouldn't these skills be tested on exams?I think they can be very difficult skills to master for a lot of people who can struggle with processing and concentration skills.

If I was an employer I would hire someone with high/normal processing speed(I would want them to produce as much work as possible in their 9-5 job to a good standard) and good concentration(I would want them to be focused on their work) over someone who had low processing and poor concentration if they had the same skills elsewhere.So its clear to me that individuals without these important skills must have to make it up elsewhere so they shouldn't get extra time.

I think exams test the strength of your brain, depending on which exam different areas of the brain will be tested those good for Math or Language etc and thus people with learning disabilities due to weaker areas of the brain shouldn't get extra time(most learning disabilities have be shown to be due to weaker areas of the brain).
Reply 462
Original post by Shiba_Inu
Yep. Maybe other schools don't tell the students what's being sent off as evidence. My SENCo told me everything she was sending off, so I know that in total, it was around 2 years to collect everything I needed to supply the exam board with full evidence I needed it.

Head of SENco at my school conducted some extra time tests which took about 2 days to complete and really I never got told what else they sent off. All I had to do was complete those tests the school did everything else for me and like within a month I got granted 25%, extra time, reader and a separate room.
Original post by Tinka99
Curious about your thoughts.

For the majority of people yes, it would be unfair to most of them to not have the extra time, HOWEVER there are some people who get extra time who some people may argue that they don't need it.
Original post by Tiger Rag
A learning disability isn't an excuse. It's well documented that people with Autism do have problems with how they understand language.

I think it is :u:
Reply 465
Original post by OturuDansay
I think it is :u:

You have no idea how tough life can become with a disability. It's irritating when you can't concentrate in an exam thus waste valuable time, it's irritating when you find yourself processing the information much slower than others and it's not pleasant in an exam when you can't understand what the questions asking. Try living this life once then you can come and say a disability is an excuse for extra time.
No it isn't. Communism at its finest.
Original post by Tinka99
You have no idea how tough life can become with a disability. It's irritating when you can't concentrate in an exam thus waste valuable time, it's irritating when you find yourself processing the information much slower than others and it's not pleasant in an exam when you can't understand what the questions asking. Try living this life once then you can come and say a disability is an excuse for extra time.

This is so true. I wish more people could understand this before ranting on about how they want the extra time and it's unfair that we get it DESPITE we cannot handle exams without accommodations being made for us.
Original post by Tinka99

I don't know you and you don't me, but everyone has been in the same posistion as you in an exam, but they just get on with it. If you can't do something as well as another person, you can mostly likely do something better than them. The purpose of an exam is to evaluate and assess an individual and so if you cannot finish an exam in time, you should be penalised for it.

Extra time is a slap in the face to a lot of people who are under so much pressure to finish an exam. How do you think they finish? Why should YOU be an exception? I don't know your circumstances so i'm not judging you; but just the extra time system. Physical and "mental" conditions are exceptions.
Everyone should be under the same conditions because that is what some people call a FAIR evaluation.

Example: 2 people (Bill and Joe) hypothetically have the exact same intellect as one another, but Joe gets extra time. They both take an exam. Bill gets 36/50 and Joe gets 42/50. An A = 41/50 and a B = 35/50. Thus Joe receiving an A and Bill a B. Due to Joe's extra time he recieved a better grade even tho they
hypothetically have the exact same intellect as one another.
Would you call that fair?
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know you and you don't me, but everyone has been in the same posistion as you in an exam, but they just get on with it. If you can't do something as well as another person, you can mostly likely do something better than them. The purpose of an exam is to evaluate and assess an individual and so if you cannot finish an exam in time, you should be penalised for it.

Extra time is a slap in the face to a lot of people who are under so much pressure to finish an exam. How do you think they finish? Why should YOU be an exception? I don't know your circumstances so i'm not judging you; but just the extra time system. Physical and "mental" conditions are exceptions.
Everyone should be under the same conditions because that is what some people call a FAIR evaluation.

Example: 2 people (Bill and Joe) hypothetically have the exact same intellect as one another, but Joe gets extra time. They both take an exam. Bill gets 36/50 and Joe gets 42/50. An A = 41/50 and a B = 35/50. Thus Joe receiving an A and Bill a B. Due to Joe's extra time he recieved a better grade even tho they
hypothetically have the exact same intellect as one another.
Would you call that fair?

How do you know Joe receive a better grade due to extra time?

I read slowly due to various reasons, therefore, give me the same amount if time and I'm not being tested under the same fair conditions.
Original post by Tiger Rag
How do you know Joe receive a better grade due to extra time?

I read slowly due to various reasons, therefore, give me the same amount if time and I'm not being tested under the same fair conditions.

Ummm Joe basically told me after that he answered 2 more questions in the extra time period and also he said that it took loads of pressure of him for having received more time:h: But i do know that Joe is now gonna be called Joesaphine because he's a lil beesh by getting extra time and doing better than my main man Bill.

Spoiler

Original post by V ugvg jhi
Also, more people in private schools get extra time.Just another way to disadvantage those not from the upper class.The system is being abused by the private schools, and doesn't reflect how things would be in real life. Many people who know how to fail the test deliberately do so, to make sure they get the time without deserving it.

SCRAP EXTRA TIME!!!!!

OK this just got unnecessarily rude. I go to a private school. We do not "abuse the system" - one person in my year has extra time, out of about 180. About three have supervised rest breaks. How exactly do we abuse the system? Everyone has to get diagnosed by doctors, and so do we - we do not abuse the system.
Original post by V ugvg jhi
I am predicted 8A*s and 4 A's(and I am not the the smartest in my year) so your grades aren't a big deal.Secondly, YOU said you would fail, without extra time.

Don't blame me for what you said.Really, extra time should just be abolished.If I knew when I was being tested by disabilities, I would have gotten extra time too. The system is subject to widespread cheating, and it is easier to be rid of it.

This is totally unfair - how can you rid of it because of cheaters. You cannot say that everyone cheats- there are tens of thousands of children nation wide with genuine disabilities - it is totally unfair to scrap the system just because some people are cheating on it. What you should do is make it harder to cheat. Full stop.
Original post by Dalek1099

If I was an employer I would hire someone with high/normal processing speed(I would want them to produce as much work as possible in their 9-5 job to a good standard) and good concentration(I would want them to be focused on their work) over someone who had low processing and poor concentration if they had the same skills elsewhere..

That right there is disability discrimination in the work place, something which is completely illegal. So tell me, how does it feel to be a bigot? :biggrin:

Example: 2 people (Bill and Joe) hypothetically have the exact same intellect as one another, but Joe gets extra time. They both take an exam. Bill gets 36/50 and Joe gets 42/50. An A = 41/50 and a B = 35/50. Thus Joe receiving an A and Bill a B. Due to Joe's extra time he recieved a better grade even tho theyhypothetically have the exact same intellect as one another.Would you call that fair?

How about i give you an example now? I'll use the names Bob and Steve

Bob and Steve both are taking the same Psychology exam and the same IQ, but Steve finds it hard to recall information normally when under heavy stress so he will need extra time for reading and gathering his thoughts. Steve also happens to have severe Dyslexia and therefore will need extra time to correct a huge number of spelling mistakes.

When Bob and Steve get their results Bob is still likely to get a higher score than Steve did even with the extra time. That's because the extra time is only worth 25%(The top amount of extra time you can get), and therefore Steve still didn't have enough time to answer all the questions and correct their horrendous spelling. This means that Steve will still lose at least 5% on every question due to poor spelling.
Original post by Devinely
That right there is disability discrimination in the work place, something which is completely illegal. So tell me, how does it feel to be a bigot? :biggrin:

Bob and Steve both are taking the same Psychology exam and the same IQ, but Steve finds it hard to recall information normally when under heavy stress so he will need extra time for reading and gathering his thoughts. Steve also happens to have severe Dyslexia and therefore will need extra time to correct a huge number of spelling mistakes.

When Bob and Steve get their results Bob is still likely to get a higher score than Steve did even with the extra time. That's because the extra time is only worth 25%(The top amount of extra time you can get), and therefore Steve still didn't have enough time to answer all the questions and correct their horrendous spelling. This means that Steve will still lose at least 5% on every question due to poor spelling.

Awww poor Steve.
Steve is under a lot of pressure isn't he:frown:
Steve has an unfair advantage over Bob and he still gets a lower score...Well I think Steve should look up to Bob and see how hard he works :colone:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Whilst it could be seen to be wrong you have to remember what he is basing his decision on:

For example if I am hiring a juggler, just because I don't hire all the applicants who have no arms, I'm not being a bigot or being discriminatory - they just can't juggle, so obviously I'm not going to hire them to be a juggler. What you've got to remember here is that I'm not not hiring because of their disability, but because of the fact that they can't juggle - anyone who can't juggle won't be hired.

So i guess it could argued that if the criteria for the job is being able to have extreme concentration, good work rate and high processing speed, one is not being discriminatory by not choosing someone with those qualities - even if it is because of their disability.

P.s - I do not believe this, but I'm just explaining why it could technically make sense.
I think extra time is fine for people who actually need it. Same goes for special considerations and adjustment. I asked my school to apply for special consideration for my exams because I lost 2 close family members a week before the exams started. My school refused saying there was no point because the request would be rejected.
On the point of the rich paying their way to the extra time It really does happen and it gets to me...
Only thing i find funny is that alot of the people in this thread would probably have the complete opposite opinion if they themselves had severe dyslexia or the like that meant it would be impossible for them to complete an exam without being granted extra time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Awww poor Steve.
Steve is under a lot of pressure isn't he:frown:
Steve has an unfair advantage over Bob and he still gets a lower score...Well I think Steve should look up to Bob and see how hard he works :colone:

Spoiler

Er what? In both our examples we both gave the two people the same IQ and although neither of us mentioned it I presume we were both doing the examples based off of the assumption that they studied equally as hard? Therefore I can't say I understand your comment about Steve having "to look at how hard bob works".

Also how the heck is being disabled having an unfair advantage? Here's a definition of disability "a disadvantage or handicap, especially one imposed or recognized by the law." The very definition of disability says a person is at a disadvantage so i'm unsure how Steve's suppose to of had the advantage?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Martins1
Whilst it could be seen to be wrong you have to remember what he is basing his decision on:

For example if I am hiring a juggler, just because I don't hire all the applicants who have no arms, I'm not being a bigot or being discriminatory - they just can't juggle, so obviously I'm not going to hire them to be a juggler. What you've got to remember here is that I'm not not hiring because of their disability, but because of the fact that they can't juggle - anyone who can't juggle won't be hired.

So i guess it could argued that if the criteria for the job is being able to have extreme concentration, good work rate and high processing speed, one is not being discriminatory by not choosing someone with those qualities - even if it is because of their disability.

P.s - I do not believe this, but I'm just explaining why it could technically make sense.

While I can see from the point of view you are writing this in you have to remember the person I was initially replying to didn't mean it in the context you do.
Original post by sufiyan1999
I think extra time is fine for people who actually need it. Same goes for special considerations and adjustment. I asked my school to apply for special consideration for my exams because I lost 2 close family members a week before the exams started. My school refused saying there was no point because the request would be rejected.
On the point of the rich paying their way to the extra time It really does happen and it gets to me...

I feel very bad for you and am truly sorry for your losses, and hope that you are not doing too badly. I cannot believe that it would be rejected - that is definitely something which deserved extra time. I've never heard of the rich in my school paying their way to extra time as they would have to bribe doctors LOADS and it isn't even worth it in most exams for people without disabilities, who therefore have no need for it.
While I can see from the point of view you are writing this in you have to remember the person I was initially replying to didn't mean it in the context you do.

True, but at the same time I like to represent all sides of the argument - I just like putting one viewpoint out there - one that I too admit is valid, despite sharing your viewpoint.

Latest