Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Jack354
Reducing agent H2/Ni- to protonate the inner ring

CH2

goes from 120 to 109.5

ah ok thanks
Original post by mbh16
A trimer is a polymer with only 3 monomers in it, the answer to this question is basically the product formed in step 3 but with an extra monomer of ethanal added.
so it should look like this i think: Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 15.26.50.png

Please could you explain why there is another -OH group in the trimer? As far as I see it the molecule X is an aldehyde with a hydroxyl group and ethanal is being added to it so there should be only one OH?
(edited 7 years ago)
Do they ever actually require specific temperatures and pressures when naming conditions or is "high temperature" for examples always sufficient?
Original post by Jack354
Reducing agent H2/Ni- to protonate the inner ring

CH2

goes from 120 to 109.5

How did you get ch2 as the ef i dont get it - i did the pp last nyt i got c3h6 as the usuall molcular formula is c6h12
Original post by ahsan_ijaz
How did you get ch2 as the ef i dont get it - i did the pp last nyt i got c3h6 as the usuall molcular formula is c6h12

The empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio in whichthe atoms of each element in a compound are found.

The formula of cyclohexane is C6H12. Dividing each number of atoms by the smallest number (6) gives us CH2 as the empirical formula. CH2 cannot be further simplified to a whole number ratio and so is the simplest whole number ratio.
Original post by Splashoid
The empirical formula is the simplest whole number ratio in whichthe atoms of each element in a compound are found.

The formula of cyclohexane is C6H12. Dividing each number of atoms by the smallest number (6) gives us CH2 as the empirical formula. CH2 cannot be further simplified to a whole number ratio and so is the simplest whole number ratio.

I usually / by 2 to get the simplest ratio until you cant half anymore to get a simple number - just curios why it didnt work here
I usually / by 2 to get the simplest ratio until you cant half anymore to get a simple number - just curios why it didnt work here

Because 12 and 6 have a higher common factor than 2 of 6. So C6H12 ÷ 6 = CH2. Empirical is the *simplest* formula.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When you divide 6/2 you get 3 which is an odd number. Dividing by two each time would only work if you had a ratio of even numbers.
the mark scheme called the ester (1)-methylethyl ethanoate, however i didn't put the(1) as i didn't think it was needed as the methyl group couldn't come off anywhere else, would i get the mark?
Reply 149
Original post by thomaarrss
the mark scheme called the ester (1)-methylethyl ethanoate, however i didn't put the(1) as i didn't think it was needed as the methyl group couldn't come off anywhere else, would i get the mark?

If the one was in brackets then I think you can still get the mark

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VokeA
If the one was in brackets then I think you can still get the mark

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank you! i thought so
Reply 151
Original post by thomaarrss
thank you! i thought so

You're welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 152

c3h6 cancels down to ch2
Reply 153
Original post by Aerosmith
Please could you explain why there is another -OH group in the trimer? As far as I see it the molecule X is an aldehyde with a hydroxyl group and ethanal is being added to it so there should be only one OH?

here you go: Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 20.51.33.png You basically have to repeat the steps to add another monomer. I forgot to put a OH- which is formed as well on the last step
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 154
Original post by Lilly1234567890
(i) Outline a mechanism for the dehydration of butan-2-ol into but-l-ene.
this for example^. its not in the book is it?

Is this elimination?
Original post by mbh16
Is this elimination?

Yes
Original post by mbh16
Is this elimination?

yeah
Original post by Windowswind123
Do they ever actually require specific temperatures and pressures when naming conditions or is "high temperature" for examples always sufficient?

good question, i dont think you need to specify the temperture
What do we need to know about the M+1 peak?
Original post by NobodyCares
Methylethyl 3-methylbutanoate

I'm 95% sure you can't have "methly" twice in a IUPAC name

Quick Reply

Latest