The Student Room Group

Why Can't We Have a Cromwell Day?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by calmingforzzzz
and he did so when the Kings before him didn't. and his goal as Lord Protector was tolerance, and his supporters did things that he didn'tn condone.

Cromwell became an archetypical dictator, assuming more and more personal powers because in his opinion no-one else could safely exercise power. Then financially the only people he could trust were his family and so he creates an hereditary republic.

People like Papa Doc, Castro and Kim Il Sung don't set out to be dictators. They are leaders of a cause. What makes them dictators is when the people who should have power under the structures they set up, don't want to exercise it to further the cause but to pursue their own different agendas. So we end up with nominated Parliaments and all power passing to the leader.

What it always shows is the quality of Washington because Revolutionary America was no less fractious that Revolutionary England or Revolutionary France. There were men willing to impose sectarian rule; men more interested in petty disputes with other colonies and men promoting agendas destructive of all government. Washington could easily have decided that he was the only man capable of keeping the show on the road.
Original post by Trapz99
lol who's cromwell?
I sincerely hope you're not English. Because every English schoolchild learnd this stuff in school.

Or they did when I was at school :emo:
Original post by calmingforzzzz
lolol.... Charles I deserved it. he abolished parliament,

No he didn't. He merely did not summon one as was his right.

levied taxes unconstitutionally,

Experts at the time differed on this. Medieval kings had done likewise with forced loans etc. It is only afterwards that this comes to be accepted as unconstitutional.

to say Cromwell was wrong, when he wasn't even the main mover/shaker behind the "trial" execution is pretty silly.

That isn't right. Cromwell is clearly the main mover and shaker and everyone else is wanting Cromwell to tell them whether the King should live or die.

Charles I caused the war,..

Parliament denied the King's right to govern. That is an important step on our road to democracy but was unjustified by the standards of the time. The King's subjects had rebelled from their duty to him and he was entitled to crush that rebellion.
Original post by Tootles
I sincerely hope you're not English. Because every English schoolchild learnd this stuff in school.

I am but I forgot lols. I spent most of my history lessons having some banter with the lads.
Original post by Trapz99
I am but I forgot lols. I spent most of my history lessons having some banter with the lads.
GTFO :getmecoat:
Original post by Tootles
GTFO :getmecoat:

Lol I always found history kinda boring tbh and so did everyone on my row so we just played phone games and had some bants
Original post by Tootles

Never learned about him at school.

All I know about him was that a tank was named after him.
Original post by Vikingninja
Never learned about him at school.

All I know about him was that a tank was named after him.
What you're taught and what you actually learn are two different things, especially at school.

Oliver Cromwell was an evil piece of ****. Basically, England's own Hitler.
Original post by Tootles
What you're taught and what you actually learn are two different things, especially at school.

Oliver Cromwell was an evil piece of ****. Basically, England's own Hitler.

Well I never heard about him at all until I heard about the tank so yeah.
Where has all the freedom gone and where is Parliament?
What happened to our individual rights and parliamentary privilege?
Is there not a leader who will restore liberty?
The King's courts run wild and I see good Puritans flee.

I need a Cromwell
I need a Cromwell to restore the rightful Parliament tonight.
Restoring godliness, banishing tyranny and injustice from the land.

I need a Cromwell,
I need a Cromwell to spread Puritanism overnight.
Stop the tyranny, abolish monarchy and sentence all the royalists to die, the royalists to die.
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
He and his kind turned England into a fanatical religious state where mass hysteria and paranoia flourished resulting in sectarian conflict and witch burnings. Similar to what we seen in the Islamic State

Expand.

Quick Reply

Latest