The Student Room Group

why are people so annoying bc i dont have a phone

im 15 & my phone was taken away like a year ago and i just dont want it back now. my phone distracted me and my grades went from like C's/B's to A's/A*'s without it
plus when i had it i was so self obsessed and social media obsessed
and fights with friends were more frequent

now all my friends are like omg get a phone! even though ive explained this to them a million times and they know it pisses me off-.- they dont understand bc they are so phone obsessed like their lives revolve around it

whats the nicest way to tell them to shut the **** up

ty xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gameofno
im 15 & my phone was taken away like a year ago and i just dont want it back now. my phone distracted me and my grades went from like C's/B's to A's/A*'s without it

now all my friends are like omg get a phone! even though ive explained this to them a million times and they know it pisses me off-.- they dont understand bc they are so phone obsessed like their lives revolve around it

ty xxx

They probably want to contact you, but having a phone for emergency is a good thing maybe you should invest in a cheap phone that dosent have the Internet on or camera?
You could tell your friends you don't have the money to buy one, your parents wont buy you one or continue to ignore them.
Reply 2
Get a tablet.

:wink:

ty xxx

How do you usually stay in touch with them outside school? Do you use a laptop or tablet?

I went through something similar when I was your age. It was that time when social media didn't really exist yet but kids in school were starting to use mobile phones. And I didn't get one till I was 17, because my tutor recommended it to my parents. It can make you feel really left out, I know. I actually lost quite a few friends over it. But I don't think they were real friends.
Probably because it's easier to contact you? It's iust the norm these days, when I was 15 it was perfectly normal to not have a phone, or if you did it was a brick and only good for the occasional text and downloading ringtones to. Just buy a really cheap pay as you go thing, for emergencies - don't even need to get a data plan.
Reply 5

ty xxx
Ooooh teenage prima donnas.

If your grades are so important GTFO and get back to your studying.
Reply 6
Original post by godivaontherocks
How do you usually stay in touch with them outside school? Do you use a laptop or tablet?

I went through something similar when I was your age. It was that time when social media didn't really exist yet but kids in school were starting to use mobile phones. And I didn't get one till I was 17, because my tutor recommended it to my parents. It can make you feel really left out, I know. I actually lost quite a few friends over it. But I don't think they were real friends.

yeah like they have ways to keep in touch w me but idm not having a phone because like i dont really like talking to them outside of school which is why i didnt ask for a phone back :\
yeah like they have ways to keep in touch w me but idm not having a phone because like i dont really like talking to them outside of school which is why i didnt ask for a phone back :\

I can totally understand that. It was a little similar with me. I was very devoted to piano practice and extracurricular activities, so I rarely found time outside school to hang out with friends at 15/16 years old. But it was difficult to make them understand that because they automatically assumed that meant I wasn't interested in them.

I think your friends need to understand that studying is a big priority for you, and that you feel like a more positive person and a better friend without social media involved. If they're good, true friends, they might be annoyed at first, but they should eventually understand that. The tough part will be trying to make them see that side. I know it can be tough. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by godivaontherocks
I can totally understand that. It was a little similar with me. I was very devoted to piano practice and extracurricular activities, so I rarely found time outside school to hang out with friends at 15/16 years old. But it was difficult to make them understand that because they automatically assumed that meant I wasn't interested in them.

I think your friends need to understand that studying is a big priority for you, and that you feel like a more positive person and a better friend without social media involved. If they're good, true friends, they might be annoyed at first, but they should eventually understand that. The tough part will be trying to make them see that side. I know it can be tough. Good luck! :smile:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you xxxx

ty xxx

Nice improvement. Your A levels matter more. If you dont miss it, then dont go back or get a dumb phone. You can still use the computer. See what your results are but if they are much improved, then you have your answer about whether to get one or not.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Nice improvement. Your A levels matter more. If you dont miss it, then dont go back or get a dumb phone. You can still use the computer. See what your results are but if they are much improved, then you have your answer about whether to get one or not.

yeah true! jeez i wish people would understand this :smile: ty xxx
yeah true! jeez i wish people would understand this :smile: ty xxx

I wouldnt want to be anti social, but your exams do matter more.No matter how you do in your exams, when you get the results you wont have the guilt as in you wish youd spent more time on snap chat instead of revising.

Dont abandon your friends, but maybe keep in contact in a more passive medium hat isnt so time consuming or just doing something each week in real life?
omg.I thought I was the only one!
My friends keep on saying get a phone,but the thing is I don't want one and now they're like we have to add you in the Whatsapp group so you better get one.Its really annoying but I told them to get over it.

ty xxx

Tbh I'm happy for you. People just don't like seeing others do well. Just tell them to leave you alone because they're not doing you any good. If that doesn't work, ignore them. Simplle.

ty xxx

I'm in the same boat as you. At the start of year 11 I stopped using a phone and I don't have one since but everyone keeps bugging me to get one it's so annoying.
I can empathise with you.
Reply 15
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Tbh I'm happy for you. People just don't like seeing others do well. Just tell them to leave you alone because they're not doing you any good. If that doesn't work, ignore them. Simplle.

thank you & yeah thats so true smh!
Reply 16
Original post by hafsa473
I'm in the same boat as you. At the start of year 11 I stopped using a phone and I don't have one since but everyone keeps bugging me to get one it's so annoying.
I can empathise with you.

seriously its so bloody annoying!
Reply 17
Original post by tamil fever
omg.I thought I was the only one!
My friends keep on saying get a phone,but the thing is I don't want one and now they're like we have to add you in the Whatsapp group so you better get one.Its really annoying but I told them to get over it.

SAME and then if something happens and i dont find out people are like 'yeah well if you had whatsapp...' like just stfu
thank you & yeah thats so true smh!

I personally don't have any mainstream social media which has helped but even when I used, girls just stalked me :laugh:
Reply 19
Original post by Mrs.Grey
I personally don't have any mainstream social media which has helped but even when I used, girls just stalked me :laugh:

people are so stalkerish, same, even when i had social media people would randomly know crap about me, like damn son find something else to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending