The Student Room Group

Applying to uni with a bad grade in math

Hi,

So I'm french and I have a baccalaureat with a grade of 14.02 (That's a triple A), I had a 20 out of 20 in English, and I had very good grades except in Math where I had a 6 out of 20, which is a pretty bad grade. So I want to apply to university in England, I tried Birmingham, BCU and Aston, first Aston told me that I am more than welcome to apply to business school but then I told them about my bad grade in math and they said that they can't offer me a place. Same for BCU and Liverpool university, they said my grade in math was bad and therefore I can't apply to management and human resources. I've had a 15 out of 20 in human resources, I did good with math in human resources and Economy where I also had a 15, which is a good grade and yet, my only bad grade in math prevents me from applying.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit discouraged, I really wanted to study and live in the UK, it is a dream for me. I sent a message to Brighton university and Manchester, I looked for other courses where there is no math and I'm waiting for their answers.

I guess my questions are, do you guys think I have a chance to get in uni with such a bad grade in math? And do you think I have a chance through clearing? How does clearing work if you have had a bad grade in math or any other main subject? And last thing, are there any universities that are ok with a bad grade in math?

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Riley94
Hi,

So I'm french and I have a baccalaureat with a grade of 14.02 (That's a triple A), I had a 20 out of 20 in English, and I had very good grades except in Math where I had a 6 out of 20, which is a pretty bad grade. So I want to apply to university in England, I tried Birmingham, BCU and Aston, first Aston told me that I am more than welcome to apply to business school but then I told them about my bad grade in math and they said that they can't offer me a place. Same for BCU and Liverpool university, they said my grade in math was bad and therefore I can't apply to management and human resources. I've had a 15 out of 20 in human resources, I did good with math in human resources and Economy where I also had a 15, which is a good grade and yet, my only bad grade in math prevents me from applying.

Not gonna lie, I'm a bit discouraged, I really wanted to study and live in the UK, it is a dream for me. I sent a message to Brighton university and Manchester, I looked for other courses where there is no math and I'm waiting for their answers.

I guess my questions are, do you guys think I have a chance to get in uni with such a bad grade in math? And do you think I have a chance through clearing? How does clearing work if you have had a bad grade in math or any other main subject? And last thing, are there any universities that are ok with a bad grade in math?

Thank you!

It entirely depends on the course. eg. you don't need maths for arts&humanities courses (except Economics at some universities)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
It entirely depends on the course. eg. you don't need maths for arts&humanities courses (except Economics at some universities)

Posted from TSR Mobile

So since I have good grades, if I apply to something where there's no math, it should be good then? They won't ask me about my grades in math? Because I had the impression that they all wanted a minimum of 10 in math in every courses which I find a bit silly if math aren't related to the course...
Original post by Riley94
So since I have good grades, if I apply to something where there's no math, it should be good then? They won't ask me about my grades in math? Because I had the impression that they all wanted a minimum of 10 in math in every courses which I find a bit silly if math aren't related to the course...

If you apply through UCAS then you should be declaring all of your grades.

Universities can then chose to ignore poor results in subjects that aren't relevant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending