The Student Room Group

Deflecting ateroids/comets...

Does anyone have a good website for the advantages and disadvantages of deflecting an asteroid on collision course with the Earth? Thanks.
Reply 2
+ we don't all die

- I'm sure disadvantages couldn't really outweigh the positive...
Original post by Alexion
+ we don't all die

- I'm sure disadvantages couldn't really outweigh the positive...

Lol
I wish such an answer would be sufficient to gain me three marks in a physics exam!
Reply 5
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
Lol
I wish such an answer would be sufficient to gain me three marks in a physics exam!

I feel like it's the most important thing at least :3 :lol:
+ We don't all die

- We all survive
- Oh, and if we managed to survive a very large asteroid impact, it may offer valuable resources. Doubtful though.
Original post by Alexion
I feel like it's the most important thing at least :3 :lol:

I concur.
Original post by Jazzyboy
+ We don't all die

- We all survive

What do you mean by your final point?

- Oh, and if we managed to survive a very large asteroid impact, it may offer valuable resources. Doubtful though.
Stick Brian Lara up there with a giant cricket bat and project some hologram wickets onto Earth using the ISS.
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
What do you mean by your final point?

If we survive a very large asteroid(let's say with a diameter of 10 miles) impact without deflecting it, there's a chance it might offer rare metals. However, apparently most asteroids mostly consist of iron or silicone, which are both common. Even if an asteroid does contain more valuable metals, it's doubtful that they would be worth more than whatever infrastructure the asteroid destroyed during it's collision.

I'm not a physicist though(nor do I study any other sciences atm), so I can't really say much else on the matter xD
Original post by Jazzyboy
If we survive a very large asteroid(let's say with a diameter of 10 miles) impact without deflecting it, there's a chance it might offer rare metals. However, apparently most asteroids mostly consist of iron or silicone, which are both common. Even if an asteroid does contain more valuable metals, it's doubtful that they would be worth more than whatever infrastructure the asteroid destroyed during it's collision.

I'm not a physicist though(nor do I study any other sciences atm), so I can't really say much else on the matter xD

Ah yes I see what you mean. Thanks for your contribution.

Quick Reply

Latest