The Student Room Group

Medical schools should stop cherry picking league data

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
On the wards is where clinical research happens. Drug trials, trials of diagnostic approaches, etc.

I think that is a tragic, tragic attitude and until your approach changes you will be a significantly worse doctor than you would otherwise be.

Yeah I get that you think it is tragic, but you are not in a position to make that judgement unfortunately! I got through medical school just fine thanks, and not one doctor has called into question my abilities or competence. Forgive me if I dont lose any sleep.

Not once in 5 years either did I once come across any research happening on the wards in real time while I was studying. Maybe you did, and thats great, but I am commenting on my experience, and offering that as perspective based on the earlier comment questioning a universities research quality and the relevance to a students education.

Thanks for keeping it civil, much appreciated
Reply 21
Original post by Zakadoh
Yeah I get that you think it is tragic, but you are not in a position to make that judgement unfortunately! I got through medical school just fine thanks, and not one doctor has called into question my abilities or competence. Forgive me if I dont lose any sleep.

Not once in 5 years either did I once come across any research happening on the wards in real time while I was studying. Maybe you did, and thats great, but I am commenting on my experience, and offering that as perspective based on the earlier comment questioning a universities research quality and the relevance to a students education.

Thanks for keeping it civil, much appreciated

I find that a bit strange. Did your uni not make you do audits? Did you never attend grand rounds, or do oncology? I'm wondering if you did see primary research but didn't notice because it didn't look how you expected.

I agree with you in principle that I don't want to get too bogged down in research when I'm trying to learn the practical stuff about the job, but I also think it gets more important as you increase in seniority. Certaintly I have heard plenty of discussions amongst consultants about the validity of the primary research certain guidelines are based on, for example

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course Ive done audits etc. Im not an idiot Im aware it is there! What I meant was on the wards, in real time. The other poster seemed to think that while I was going about day to day I should have been steeped in research! As I mentioned earlier in this thread keepin your finger on the pulse is important, and I am very aware that research plays a role in all of our lives, but I stand by my comment that research is such a small part in a med students life that it isnt important when choosing a med school.
Original post by Ghotay
Or alternatively, it would serve to highlight the large differences in achievement between unis, and some of them would start to get VERY unpopular

In that case, the university shouldn't be accepted by the GMC as an institution where a medical degree can be awarded unless their graduates can fulfill the minimum standard. The exams and accepted standard obtained by a USMLE exam ensures PATIENTS are treated by doctors of an accepted level. Fundamentally the licensing exam ensures that we have safe practicing doctors with a core knowledge base.

The popularity issue is less of a problem than having safe doctors. Frankly, a university shouldn't be worried about its popularity if it offers a medical degree since the overly competitive nature of applications means there'll be no shortage in applications.

We have one of the best healthcare systems in the world, to keep our place at the top we need to evolve. I feel as though a USMLE board type exam would help and its success can be seen by its use in the USA, Canada and Australia. We have postgraduate board MRCP/MRCS FRCP/FRCS exams, I don't see why an undergrad board exam shouldn't be implemented!
Original post by Ghotay
Or alternatively, it would serve to highlight the large differences in achievement between unis, and some of them would start to get VERY unpopular

Original post by Zygomaticus
In that case, the university shouldn't be accepted by the GMC as an institution where a medical degree can be awarded unless their graduates can fulfill the minimum standard. The exams and accepted standard obtained by a USMLE exam ensures PATIENTS are treated by doctors of an accepted level. Fundamentally the licensing exam ensures that we have safe practicing doctors with a core knowledge base.

The popularity issue is less of a problem than having safe doctors. Frankly, a university shouldn't be worried about its popularity if it offers a medical degree since the overly competitive nature of applications means there'll be no shortage in applications.

We have one of the best healthcare systems in the world, to keep our place at the top we need to evolve. I feel as though a USMLE board type exam would help and its success can be seen by its use in the USA, Canada and Australia. We have postgraduate board MRCP/MRCS FRCP/FRCS exams, I don't see why an undergrad board exam shouldn't be implemented!

You mean like the one med students starting this year will be taking?

http://www.gmc-uk.org/news/26549.asp

I guess we'll see what happens in 2020/1
Original post by nexttime
You mean like the one med students starting this year will be taking?

I guess we'll see what happens in 2020/1

Step in the right direction IMO and I think a good think for British medical education. I'd interested to see how deciles and SJT and other things factor in, and whether employers use the score attained in the exam the same way they do for the USMLE in the states!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending