The Student Room Group

The UK needs to STOP growing! (Out the EU I say)

Scroll to see replies

But if we still want full access to the single market which we can use to import food to sustain our growth, we will need to accept EU free movement in order to have that single market access.
Reply 61
Original post by loginrunner
But if we still want full access to the single market which we can use to import food to sustain our growth, we will need to accept EU free movement in order to have that single market access.

But out the EU we have better opportunity to open up to the world and trade globally.
But you do realise my plan's are about becoming self sufficient and not relying on imports?
Original post by 2016_GCSE
But out the EU we have better opportunity to open up to the world and trade globally.
But you do realise my plan's are about becoming self sufficient and not relying on imports?

But there will likely be tariffs from trading globally, but if we are in the EU we won't have tariffs imposed on us when importing food from Europe.
And the UK has always been reliant on foreign goods ever since the colonial years, why would the UK be able to be self-sufficient now?
Reply 64
But there will likely be tariffs from trading globally, but if we are in the EU we won't have tariffs imposed on us when importing food from Europe.

But Europe bring's thing's we just don't need, immigrants, policy's on electrical's etc.

Out the EU we can be just fine trading with commonwealth nations and other nations. A door is there waiting to be opened.

Plus my aims are not to import food from Europe or anywhere, very possible.
Reply 65
And the UK has always been reliant on foreign goods ever since the colonial years, why would the UK be able to be self-sufficient now?

We just need to adjust the agricultural sector a little.

Farmers produce there goods as usual. Government equally distributes food to the people. No one starves, No one risks obesity. saves NHS money. Money goes back in to farming for government provided equipment.

With global warming we can look to increase our yearly yields by double in parts of England giving us the edge in getting self sufficiency.

This keeps the UK safe on food in event's of War , Global warming and Storms.
We just need to adjust the agricultural sector a little.

Farmers produce there goods as usual. Government equally distributes food to the people. No one starves, No one risks obesity. saves NHS money. Money goes back in to farming for government provided equipment.

With global warming we can look to increase our yearly yields by double in parts of England giving us the edge in getting self sufficiency.

This keeps the UK safe on food in event's of War , Global warming and Storms.

Just no. You're using global warming as a defence against global warming?
We could possibly grow a lot of these in large greenhouses.

Sorry dude - you have lost it. You are suggesting we convert arable land that could grow high calorie versatile crops like wheat or corn and instead build heated greenhouses growing desirable crops that people want all year round like melons and blueberries?

This idea of self sufficiency does not exist anywhere other than Tom and Barbara's little piece of suburban fantasy. Almost nowhere on earth is self sufficient - and that is a good thing for peace and security. Russia is less likely to nuke the USA for fear of a public backlash from people unable to obtain iPhones... which are ironically manufactured in China with inputs from all over the world.
Reply 68
Original post by ByEeek
Sorry dude - you have lost it. You are suggesting we convert arable land that could grow high calorie versatile crops like wheat or corn and instead build heated greenhouses growing desirable crops that people want all year round like melons and blueberries?

This idea of self sufficiency does not exist anywhere other than Tom and Barbara's little piece of suburban fantasy. Almost nowhere on earth is self sufficient - and that is a good thing for peace and security. Russia is less likely to nuke the USA for fear of a public backlash from people unable to obtain iPhones... which are ironically manufactured in China with inputs from all over the world.

Large greenhouses are something that could be done on area's like moor land as guess what they are not arable.

And you know almost nowhere on Earth is self sufficient so you know that with India's rate of population increase Indian supply's are out the window and so we need to gain back self sufficiency.

it's not impossible at all!
But Europe bring's thing's we just don't need, immigrants, policy's on electrical's etc.

Out the EU we can be just fine trading with commonwealth nations and other nations. A door is there waiting to be opened.

Many immigrants go into laboursome jobs like farming so EU immigration could be seen as a good thing as they are producing lots of food for the UK, if we lost this workforce we could be left with a lack of workers in agriculture harvesting our crops.
Reply 70
Many immigrants go into laboursome jobs like farming so EU immigration could be seen as a good thing as they are producing lots of food for the UK, if we lost this workforce we could be left with a lack of workers in agriculture harvesting our crops.

As I have said before we have machines that can do this job and the government can put funding in to this through what remains as budget not used by the NHS from obesity related disease because the equal share of our food eliminates obesity.
this thread is terrible....

And you know almost nowhere on Earth is self sufficient so you know that with India's rate of population increase Indian supply's are out the window and so we need to gain back self sufficiency.

But it isn't a problem because there are fortunately lots of countries that have a surplus, so India can import the additional food it needs. I am not really sure what your issue is. Food, or population. If population growth is you beef, surely introducing and encouraging birth control is a much more effective policy than building heated (do we really have the energy to heat) greenhouses on our moorland?

:facepalm2:

Sorry but I'm glad you're not old enough to vote
Reply 74
Original post by ByEeek
But it isn't a problem because there are fortunately lots of countries that have a surplus, so India can import the additional food it needs. I am not really sure what your issue is. Food, or population. If population growth is you beef, surely introducing and encouraging birth control is a much more effective policy than building heated (do we really have the energy to heat) greenhouses on our moorland?

We got the energy to do it today but we don't have to have the greenhouses.

Source: http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/ (Checkout the demand dial, as long as not in red we fine.)

birth control is something else we need to cap to keep our country stable in it's population.

British attitudes towards food do need to change:
Reply 75
Original post by scrotgrot
:facepalm2:

Sorry but I'm glad you're not old enough to vote

But we don't need these when it comes to this matter.
OP looks like slides in a powerpoint presentation for a GCSE assignment

Thank god you can't vote.
Why would commonwealth nations, many of whom we treated appallingly historically, welcome us to trade with open arms?
Reply 78
Original post by leinad2012
Thank god you can't vote.
Why would commonwealth nations, many of whom we treated appallingly historically, welcome us to trade with open arms?

Claims many are treated badly, yet many retain Union Jack on there flags. Logic?
We got the energy to do it today but we don't have to have the greenhouses.

But I thought we were a net importer or energy too? How do you square that one in your quest for self sufficiency? I mean, it is fine having plenty of crops in the field, but how are we going to harvest, process and distribute them in a self sufficient model?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending