The Student Room Group

factorising quadratic equations

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RueXO
with my exam board you have polynomials in c1, and quadratics in every module in some form or the other

We have polynomials in C1 but dont have quadratics in any other ones tbh, im not too sure about C2 as i did it last year but im still quite sure we dont have it
Original post by Ayaz789
We have polynomials in C1 but dont have quadratics in any other ones tbh, im not too sure about C2 as i did it last year but im still quite sure we dont have it

I'm pretty sure regardless of what exam board that you do, quadratics will come up either way... I'm pretty sure there's no paper that has not had quadratics in them.
Original post by xColourReign
I'm pretty sure regardless of what exam board that you do, quadratics will come up either way... I'm pretty sure there's no paper that has not had quadratics in them.

We dont have quadratics in the C1 Paper , nor the c3 and c4 paper!
Reply 83
Original post by Ayaz789

Heyaa can you please explain how to do this.
I'm finding it a bit hard.

I don't want answer please x
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as the total number of girls is 6 more than the boys you can put in any combinations of numbers you want, there's no 1 correct answer for this question
Reply 85
Original post by Big white
As long as the total number of girls is 6 more than the boys you can put in any combinations of numbers you want, there's no 1 correct answer for this question

Doesn't work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

does work

lets assume the number of girls is 26 and the number of boys is 14
Reply 87
Original post by Big white
does work

lets assume the number of girls is 26 and the number of boys is 14

Oh okayy thanks ":smile:)

This is what the mark scheme states

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e
Oh okayy thanks ":smile:)

This is what the mark scheme states

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok seems alright then
Reply 89
Original post by z_o_e

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could form simultaneous equation if you ever have doubts, let the empty square in girls column = a
and let the empty square in boys column = b.

click on spoiler if you want the equations

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Icyytea
You need to form simultaneous equation, let the empty square in girls column = a
and let the empty square in boys column = b.

click on spoiler if you want the equations

Spoiler

Ohh tyy so did I do it wrong before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by z_o_e

Posted from TSR Mobile

EDIT yeah I think you did it wrong because the number of girls wasn't 6 more than the boys in the picyou posted but if you did it simultaneously you would get a = 12 and b = 5 which works out
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by Icyytea
EDIT yeah I think you did it wrong because the number of girls wasn't 6 more than the boys in the picyou posted but if you did it simultaneously you would get a = 12 and b = 5 which works out

Wb this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by z_o_e

Posted from TSR Mobile

wholly sorry that's my fault, the number of girls should be 6 more than the boys and the difference between the number should be 6
Original post by Icyytea

thanks for pointing that out ^-^
Reply 94

I don't know what that picture is showing
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by Ayaz789

Yeah we do but they're in different form like sin^2(x) + 2sin(x) +1 = 0
or with e instead

Edit: nvm thought you were talking about Edexcel
(edited 7 years ago)

No, there isn't really a method for this just common sense. They say that there are 6 more girls than boys. What i like to do here is half the number, to get 20 and then go three up to get 23 and then 3 down to get 17, in this case there are 23 girls and 17 boys, whcihc is the only solution. Any other answer is wrong!
Have you learned the quadratic formula or how to 'complete the square'?

It makes solving tricky polynomials so much easier and quicker, especially when you can use a calculator in the later modules:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest