The Student Room Group

AQA Chemistry Unit 2 (resit) CHEM2 10th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chocofudge123
Can you remember what other questions section b asked aside from the mechanisms

The conditions for Hydration of Ethene
The advantages and disadvantages of Fermentation (these two being 5/6 marks combined)
You were asked to name a product I think from one of the mechanisms (1 mark)
You had to explain why the secondary carbocation from the Electrophilic Addition mechanism (I think this was 2 marks)

If I remember right there were only two mechanisms in section B and mechanisms are usually 4/5 marks each
Original post by KennedyTonks
Ugh thanks, I'm so annoyed because I know my stuff but when I go into an exam I panic and don't read anything! I super panicked in this exam too because it was a new exam writer and phrased everything weird ): at least people who did this exam have a heads up on phrasing and stuff! Just sick with stress it will be as bad as unit 2 :/

I'm the exact same. I can get 90+ out of the exam environment then I go blank and drop loads of stupid marks.

The phrasing was so incredibly odd this year, I agree. Plus the rarity of HSW questions and they just drop a four marker in. I only remember one or two markers for HSW on our spec. Not four:frown:
I thought some of the phrasing was odd in physics too so maybe AQA are trying a new style for all the exams...which could be the worst thing ever for me:frown:
Im just happy we can resit next year :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope AQA base the grade boundaries on our results rather than taking into account that we are all A2 and raise them higher than if we weren't, that would just be unfair
Original post by emsieMC
I really hope AQA base the grade boundaries on our results rather than taking into account that we are all A2 and raise them higher than if we weren't, that would just be unfair

That's not how UMS works... They look at how everyone has performed in the current year and compare is to the marks everyone received the year before and make sure that if one exam has shown to be more difficult (lower raw marks across the board) then the grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly (i.e. If we all performed worse because the exam was more difficult this year a raw mark of let's say 89 this year will get the same UMS mark as what a raw mark of 92 gave you the year before)

Check out this link if you want to read into how the grade boundaries are worked out: http://schoolsweek.co.uk/they-think-its-all-over-but-its-not/
Original post by Hopefulmedic15
That's not how UMS works... They look at how everyone has performed in the current year and compare is to the marks everyone received the year before and make sure that if one exam has shown to be more difficult (lower raw marks across the board) then the grade boundaries will be adjusted accordingly (i.e. If we all performed worse because the exam was more difficult this year a raw mark of let's say 89 this year will get the same UMS mark as what a raw mark of 92 gave you the year before)

Check out this link if you want to read into how the grade boundaries are worked out: http://schoolsweek.co.uk/they-think-its-all-over-but-its-not/

Thank you, I know it's not how it works, it's just I saw some people posting about contacting AQA about the grade boundaries earlier regarding if it makes a difference that we are all resorting, in this thread, and they were not very clear about the answer. So I just wanted to make sure as this exam was very different compared to the previous ones due to the people sitting it, so I was curious if they would bend the usual rules. Thank god they're not, honestly I was getting a little scared, thanks for clearing it up
Original post by emsieMC
Thank you, I know it's not how it works, it's just I saw some people posting about contacting AQA about the grade boundaries earlier regarding if it makes a difference that we are all resorting, in this thread, and they were not very clear about the answer. So I just wanted to make sure as this exam was very different compared to the previous ones due to the people sitting it, so I was curious if they would bend the usual rules. Thank god they're not, honestly I was getting a little scared, thanks for clearing it up

No worries, and as a piece of advice, don't listen to the people making up random stuff on the student room because 99% of the time it's not correct or they're just stating their guesses.

Only time will tell how us all being A2 students will affect the grade boundaries because it could go either way in terms of what the raw marks were like. From one perspective we've all had an additional year learning more advanced A2 chemistry so in theory the AS stuff should be simple in comparison and our marks would increase as we resit, but on the other hand, all the people who achieved full/very high ums last year would not be sitting the exam again and all the year 12s who would get full ums if they sat it aren't taken into consideration so it potentially means the the grade boundaries could drop.

To say the least that Chem 2 paper was not what I would say has typically come up in past and the wording of questions were far more obscure but that may have due to them making the paper slightly more difficult to account for A2 students only sitting it so that the grade boundaries wouldn't fluctuate. It's a fine balance. Either way, we've all done our part now and it's time to put this paper to rest and prepare for the next exams.

Good luck tomorrow for chem 4 (I won't be sitting it - I'm just resitting some papers during my gap year) and hopefully you'll do great!
Ye I thought that but would it be flame in steam?
Does anybody remember all the Mechanisms questions that came up? All I could remember was the sulfuric acid mechanism...
Anyone able to answer? For the question about comparing the rates of hydrolysis I wrote the wrong answer then below that I wrote the correct answer will I still get the marks if the first part of my answer is wrong but the last part is correct? Thank you
Reply 370
Grade boundaries on AQA are crazy low?! Not sure if I believe them!??
71 for an A? 59 for a B? wtf?
Original post by cowie
Grade boundaries on AQA are crazy low?! Not sure if I believe them!??
71 for an A? 59 for a B? wtf?

I know!! At first I thought it was a mistake because last year it was 85 for an A.....don't really know what to think about it being lowered that much /:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone

Happy results day! How did Chemistry go for you?

Congrats to everyone on finishing their exams - you did amazing for getting through them no matter what grade you got

If you need any advice on results, adjustment, clearing or uni go check out our Applications and UCAS forum

chem

(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest