The Student Room Group

Not going on NCS...

Is this a huge mistake? Will it seriously affect my uni applications? I intend on getting a job in the summer instead as I don't think I will enjoy it and my parents don't want me to go (don't know why, presume as I won't have friends with me). Anything I can do instead? Is it better to go? Thanks!🌻🌻
Reply 1
no
Reply 2
im going but i know people who went and didnt even put it in their personal statement. Apparently its just a filler and doesnt help much. I dont wanna go anymore :/
Reply 3
Don't worry about UCAS, think about what you want this summer, personally I'm not going because it sounds kind of crap (soz lol don't get mad) and the way the advertise it and send me a million emails makes it seem kind of dodge haha

Anyway it will not, just think how many people will be doing it and you'll have something differednt to say: maybe even volunteer/take up a new hobby/sport? Theres tons you can write about in UCAS and it doesn't have to be conventional :biggrin: Best of luck!
Reply 4
I went last year and really enjoyed it but was nervous to go. However it probably isn't for everyone, and it is unlikely to be the deciding factor in your uni application. In my personal statement I think it made up two lines, and I know plenty of people who didn't go and still got all their offers. Just make sure you do something worthwhile this summer so you have enough to talk about in your PS.
Reply 5
Original post by drogon
im going but i know people who went and didnt even put it in their personal statement. Apparently its just a filler and doesnt help much. I dont wanna go anymore :/

Don't Go then! Unless its a confidence/boredom thing...
Reply 6
NCS probably does help, but you can do other things as well to make your uni application look good (i personally didn't do NCS, did work experience in the field that my uni course leads to, along with did about 6 months of volunteering that i found myself last year)
not doing NCS doesn't put you at a disadvantage, so long as you are willing to do other things to improve your application.
Reply 7
Original post by veganavb
Don't Go then! Unless its a confidence/boredom thing...

I've paid £35 already and i can't get a refund now
Reply 8
Original post by drogon

ahh alright but if you know you'll hate it still don't go, time spent happy is more important than £35
Reply 9
90/91 people in my year didn't do NCS (I was the 1). They all seem to have sorted out places fine :yep:
Reply 10
i did nothing last summer and got 5 offers lol dw about it
Original post by drogon

i'd pay more than £35 not to have to go to that utter tripe
Reply 12
Original post by splashywill
i'd pay more than £35 not to have to go to that utter tripe

My parents wouldnt let me! Tbh i dont even care, it's not like im doing anything at home anyway.
I was going to do it but phase 1 or whatever wasn't appealing to me...They also called me on my mobile 12 times and my landline a few times as well

I'm just going to enjoy my summer and relax :smile:
Original post by drogon
My parents wouldnt let me! Tbh i dont even care, it's not like im doing anything at home anyway.

lucky escape in my eyes! just get a summer job and save some extra cash for uni- you'll find something worth spending it on there
Reply 15
Original post by splashywill
lucky escape in my eyes! just get a summer job and save some extra cash for uni- you'll find something worth spending it on there

well im only in yr 11 going to yr 12. Yh, would much rather work. I might try and tell my parents idk but they'll get mad as hell
Reply 16
i think volunteer and community work and job experience looks a lot better on CV's than NCS.

And ive been told NCS is ****...
I did NCS nearly 2 summers ago. On one of the first nights of week one, we went camping, and it was the worst experience of my life. It was freezing cold, raining, my tentmate was snoring, and we'd put our tent up in a rocky ditch. I was contemplating setting myself alight with the trangia. But apart from that, I found NCS to be a (mostly) fun experience - it had it's boring/arduous parts, but I made good friends and it filled up time I would have otherwise spent at home watching TV.

If you feel like you'd be better off using your summer finding work then by all means do - I have friends who didn't do NCS and it hasn't affected their university applications at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending