The Student Room Group

Friends say things to me but I take it to heart

Hey!

It seems like everyday, one of my mates say something to me. I guess they're only joking but how can I stop letting it get to me?

I've never been a very confident person... Never had a girlfriend... still can't drive! :frown: and I just worry way too much. I don't think much of myself either.

But each day, they'll say something to me like "you're a melt" or things along those lines. The other day I got called "salad". Didn't have a clue what it meant but apparently it means if I was at a steakhouse, i'd have a salad rather than a steak. I wouldn't!

I got a bit down recently because I just worry i'll be single forever. I've never had a girlfriend and it upsets me. I was opening up about it to a best mate and he just started laughing at me with the things I was saying.

I just feel like i'm an idiot who no one seems to want to be around. How can I have more of a yolo/couldn't give a crap attitude because it's making me down? thanks.
Reply 1
Well mate just lighten up. Don't be upset about not having a gf. Join.the gym, get some delf esteem, confidence.

Start a theory test online. At least you'll be on the road to driving.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 2scotty
Hey!

It seems like everyday, one of my mates say something to me. I guess they're only joking but how can I stop letting it get to me?

I've never been a very confident person... Never had a girlfriend... still can't drive! :frown: and I just worry way too much. I don't think much of myself either.

But each day, they'll say something to me like "you're a melt" or things along those lines. The other day I got called "salad". Didn't have a clue what it meant but apparently it means if I was at a steakhouse, i'd have a salad rather than a steak. I wouldn't!

I got a bit down recently because I just worry i'll be single forever. I've never had a girlfriend and it upsets me. I was opening up about it to a best mate and he just started laughing at me with the things I was saying.

I just feel like i'm an idiot who no one seems to want to be around. How can I have more of a yolo/couldn't give a crap attitude because it's making me down? thanks.

My friend is exacty like that. She says the most hurtful things and when i text her about it sometimes she apologises and sometimes she just says we have different opinions and that the good thing about being friends is that we can agree to disagree about things. So i just try to understand that she doesnt mean to be cruel. But it still makes me angry every time she does it. I guess i have to accept some people like saying mean things and they dont always mean to be nasty.
It was cruel of your friend to laugh but i dont think he meant to be cruel when he did it. Maybe he just didnt know how to respond to what you told him.
Im not sure how to help you in gaining confidence but all i can tell you is that everybody feels the same way you do including your friends but they might not admit it. Even beautiful people and supermodels hate themselves sometimes and dont like the way they look.

Put an advert in your local newspaper looking for a girlfrind or answer other womens adverts and try internet dating. It might not work but better than doing nothing. I told one bloke on this forum who had the same problem as you to try dating women who are actually blind or visually impaired. So you just type on google dating agencies for blind people. I told my 2 friends to do this too as they have no confidence but i dont think they will but thats how people end up staying single for ever or a long time because they wont try any thing new or too scared or too lazy to try new things to help themselves.

I used to put my own adverts in the personal section of newspapers 10 years ago and i met some i actually dated. One man i just spoke to on the phone but i never met him as i knew he wasnt my type from his discription so i told him about another friend but she was too scared to meet him alone so i had to go with her on the date and they both liked each other and theyve been together for 10 years now and engaged so sometimes it can work. So if she had not tried it or i had not gone with her as she would never have gone alone she would always be single because she never used to go out much so she was never going to meet anyone just sitting at home and refusing to try meeting through dating adverts or dating agencies.
Nobody is perfect or confident all the time. Just count yourself lucky that you do have friends because most people have none and are very lonely.
Id rather have good friends if im not in a relationship but i dont class my friends as good friends because they never want to go out we just communicate by text but thats better than nothing.

If your 18 or over click on this link for a way to meet new people
www.Citysocializer.com

If you try nothing you will achieve nothing
Original post by 2scotty
Hey!

I just remembered a great way for anyone to meet someone is to just aporoach someone you like on the street, supermarket, cinema, etc etc
Be brave. If you like the look of someone just go up to them and ask for the time, directions then ask them out if their single.
When i was 21 men would ask me out on the street all the time i never even needed to go to nightcubs much. I still get men aporoaching me on the street today but nowadays men have turned into right pigs who dont know how to ask a woman on a date properly. They just think you should go round to their house and not take you on an actual date or they say i dont want a relationship just fun so i dont touch those men with a bargepole as i dont allow any man to use me. Thats just nasty and insulting. I want to meet a man that shows some respect.

I used to go cinema on my own all the time and one time as i was leaving a man approached me and asked me out and i went on one date but i decided he wasnt my type even though he was really good looking. A lot of men go to cinema alone and sometimes i just wish the ones i like tbe look of would ask me out but as a woman im not going to approach them so maybe a lot of women feel that way thats why men should always try this way to meet women if their single.
Sometimes i just wish more men had the balls to just approach me and ask me out on the street or supermarket because i dont want to go up to other men. Its a man's job to aporoach the woman.

I think you should just try that even if you get rejected a lot keep trying because sometimes women are just as lonely and probably dream of men approaching them. You dont always have to meet someone the conventional way in clubs, bars, or at work. Its easier just to approach someone on the street.

Another friend of mine who i dont see anymore got approached walking down the street, he was driving and he stopped to ask her out and after 1 year they got engaged and last month i was coming out of sainsburys and a meixcan man approached me on the street. I think he was in sainsburys too but i didnt notice him but i had met him 1 year before in the library. He sat next to me and asked me a question. I cant remember what it was. But when he came up to me on the street he said he wanted to ask me out a year ago in the library but he was too scared to
Anyway because im not sure if he is really my type i told him im not sure if i want to go out with him but i told him to give me his number incase i changed my mind but he said he doesnt do numbers. He said he doesnt give his number or take other people's which i thought as strange so that put me off him. But he did ask me if i want to come to his flat for chicken soup obviously i said No.

I dont go to strangers homes the first time i meet them, he couldve been a serial killer. He said he hopes he sees me on the street again but thats probably not going to happen so its his stupidity to not want to give me his number because i might have changed my mind and go on a date and i didnt want to give my number because men have a bad habit of ringing me too often or after 12 midnight. I would always give a man my number if i was sure i liked him but i wont give it if im not sure.

Men are always approaching me on the street but their not my type and i dont think im really good looking. I think i look like **** but if i do meet a man i am attracted to and he approaches me on the street then im glad they had the balls to talk to me first. It can be a great way to meet someone. So for anyone who's single male or female should try approaching someone you like the look of yourself as it does actually work.
I know its scary but you could potentially meet your soulmate this way and it hurts to be rejected but for every woman who says no there are women who will say yes.

If any one tries it and it works for them they should let everyone else on this forum know by starting a new thread all about it. That would be really interesting to read about
How old r u

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending