The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan to ban "body shaming" adverts from London Transport

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TercioOfParma
You are a self righteous madam aren't you? I read your article, all it proved was that women feel bad about themselves, and then some unfounded conjecture.

So now you read the article? I'll give you some time to process it.
Original post by drogon
So now you read the article? I'll give you some time to process it.

Except I already read your article.
Reply 42
Original post by HanSoloLuck

It is also not unfair to note that he hails from a group renowned for being intolerant of ideas and imagery, that the majority of the people from his religious background would have him spending his time championing and expanding censorship powers of the state, exactly what he is doing with this act.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed because it suggests that if he wasn't muslim he wouldn't do this. Which is not the case of course. He's also a leftist and this conforms to leftist ideas.
Well, it doesn't really affect anyone, and the intention and action so far aren't really enough to warrant an extrapolation associated with his religion, we don't need to feel threatened by the stories we make up in our heads
if he started saying women can't show their skin or their hair on billboards or we should segregate public transport between men and women then we could do something about it
Fighting for lgbt rights, he doesn't really strike me as the type to go in those kinds of directions though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dandaman1
Can't have images of attractive people in advertisements now, can we? It might hurt someone's feefees.

Who does this clown think he is? The mayor should have no right.

Anyway, 'body shaming' ads probably boost the economy by encouraging insecure fatties to invest in either gym memberships or more icecream.

he was voted into power by the general public in London. I think that gives him the right. And if he doesn't do anything then we'd just complain about having a useless Mayor of London; be grateful, at least he didn't waste a whole chunk of tax payers money buying Boris Bikes.
Also the thing he is trying to achieve isn't about hurting someones "feefees", i personally think its wrong to put such high expectations on the "beach body" and he has nothing against attractive people, he isn't banning them. He just thinks it isn't right to label "beach body" to something most women can't achieve. Also they are selling weight loss pills. Because of that advert a whole load of girls are going to end up anorexic.
Absolutely shocking. We should be setting the bar high and encouraging health and fitness in advertising. What are we doing instead? Lowering the bar for humanity by legitimising that celebrating beauty is dreadful, simply because of the fear of offending an overweight feminist SJW.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by drogon
Oh cut the self righteous tone.

What a fancy way of saying "I'm prejudice towards Sadiq Khan".

As i said, there's plenty of non muslims who advocate these views anyway. So if he agrees with these views then i dont see how you can jump to the conclusion that it's religiously influenced.

Let's face it, i doubt an intelligent person would make such silly comments.

Remember that question ? It is often the very stupid that go around calling others stupid.

And while I can assure you that very intelligent people can make very silly comments, the far more likely scenario is that the posts themselves were not silly, and you simply didn't comprehend them. As you have failed to do repeatedly in our exchange.

Remember the question, stupid people often don't know they are stupid.

When faced with something they can't comprehend, something that challenges their position, they react emotionally rather than rationally, spouting insults and often mockery in their ignorance. Attacking the person or thing that delivered the message in some sort of archaic base response carried over from our evolutionary past.

Does this remind you of the actions of a certain someone ?
Original post by drogon
Your argument is fundamentally flawed because it suggests that if he wasn't muslim he wouldn't do this.

No it doesn't, and I was making an observation, not an argument.
what a retard London has truly fallen
Reply 49
Remember that question ? It is often the very stupid that go around calling others stupid.

And while I can assure you that very intelligent people can make very silly comments, the far more likely scenario is that the posts themselves were not silly, and you simply didn't comprehend them. As you have failed to do repeatedly in our exchange.

Remember the question, stupid people often don't know they are stupid.

When faced with something they can't comprehend, something that challenges their position, they react emotionally rather than rationally, spouting insults and often mockery in their ignorance. Attacking the person or thing that delivered the message in some sort of archaic base response carried over from our evolutionary past.

Does this remind you of the actions of a certain someone ?

Love how you have completely gone off the topic once you have realised how silly of you it was to make prejudiced comments. You seem very insecure, is your stupidity something you feel insecure about?
Original post by drogon
Love how you have completely gone off the topic once you have realised how silly of you it was to make prejudiced comments. You seem very insecure, is your stupidity something you feel insecure about?

Oh dear.
Reply 51
No it doesn't, and I was making an observation, not an argument.

Well your observation was prejudiced. It's not an observation because your original statement suggests he did it because of his religion.
We should have posters like that to motivate women to lose weight, not to satisfy men but to save their own lives from the miserableness of being overweight. What an idiot he is.
The point is not that he is Muslim, that has NOTHING to do with him banning the adverts. It's that adverts such as the 'beach body ready advert' are encouraging people to do drastic things (to take shop bought drugs!) to achieve a body type which is UNREALISTIC. the woman is clearly highly photoshopped, and whatever you may all say, it is certainly NOT healthy to have your ribs showing through your skin the way hers are. It also suggests that if you do not look like this, you somehow dont deserve to go to the beach dressed in a bikini, which is ridiculous because very few people look like that. adverts such as these can trigger body dysmorphia, and eating disorders, not only in "fat people" as you have described them, but also in people of a healthy size, because these are mental illnesses, they are not simply "fat people getting offended". so they're going to be banned, good for Kahn, deal with it.
Original post by drogon

I haven't went off topic, I'm addressing your posts which largely seem focused on insults relating to my intelligence, or lack there of. Point in fact, this current post of yours. It's all about me and intelligence, so my response will be all about myself and intelligence.

I stand by all my comments made, if you want to make a legitimate objection to my position or reasoning then you should, I've yet to hear one.

Also, as i said stupid people are more often than not blissfully unaware of the fact, not insecure in the slightest. Quite the opposite actually, they tend to be brazenly over confident, a confidence born of ignorance.Tending to the idea that everybody else has some sort of mental deficiency and/or personal bias to explain for the constant misunderstandings and failures to agree that plaque their interactions with others.

It's deliciously ironic.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Reply 56
I'm triggered by the Ramadan adds on the buses, can he ban them?
Reply 57
The company behind the ads, Protein World, were accused of “directly targeting individuals, aiming to make them feel physically inferior to the unrealistic body image of the bronzed model, in order to sell their product”.

Let's ban advertising then. I don't get how he is going to keep the fares down by rejecting money coming from ads.
Reply 58
I haven't went off topic, I'm addressing your posts which largely seem focused on insults relating to my intelligence, or lack there of. Point in fact, this current post of yours. It's all about me and intelligence, so my response will be all about myself and intelligence.

I stand by all my comments made, if you want to make a legitimate objection to my position or reasoning then you should, I've yet to hear one.

Also, as i said stupid people are more often than not blissfully unaware of the fact, not insecure in the slightest. Quite the opposite actually, they tend to be brazenly over confident, a confidence born of ignorance.Tending to the idea that everybody else has some sort of mental deficiency and/or personal bias to explain for the constant misunderstandings and failures to agree that plaque their interactions with others.

It's deliciously ironic.

Ironically you have continued to go off topic. funny that.
Reply 59
Original post by Josb
I'm triggered by the Ramadan adds on the buses, can he ban them?

You can go back to your own country then.

Quick Reply

Latest