The Student Room Group

Can I apply/get into uni with 1 A-level and 4 AS-levels?

I've just finished repeating year 12 and have an A and B grade in AS from last year's results. When I changed sixth forms for personal reasons, I continued by study of my B graded subject into A2 (and am sitting the exam soon), but had to leave the subject I'd got an A in as the school uses a different exam board.

I also picked up three other AS subjects. I am predicted A-C grades in all of my subjects, and after looking at UCAS point tariff tables/calculators it looks like it would be possible for me to reach around 280ish UCAS points. By this results day, I should hopefully have grades in an A-level and 4 AS levels. The uni courses I am interested in all require 280+ UCAS points- if I meet this amount will it be possible for me to apply/be accepted into uni (I have LJMU and Manchester Met etc in mind- which both require points alone for my favoured courses) with 1 A-level and 4 other AS grades?

Any responses would be much appreciated!! :smile:
Original post by mmnkeir
I've just finished repeating year 12 and have an A and B grade in AS from last year's results. When I changed sixth forms for personal reasons, I continued by study of my B graded subject into A2 (and am sitting the exam soon), but had to leave the subject I'd got an A in as the school uses a different exam board.

I also picked up three other AS subjects. I am predicted A-C grades in all of my subjects, and after looking at UCAS point tariff tables/calculators it looks like it would be possible for me to reach around 280ish UCAS points. By this results day, I should hopefully have grades in an A-level and 4 AS levels. The uni courses I am interested in all require 280+ UCAS points- if I meet this amount will it be possible for me to apply/be accepted into uni (I have LJMU and Manchester Met etc in mind- which both require points alone for my favoured courses) with 1 A-level and 4 other AS grades?

It's unlikely to be honest - most universities will require at least 2 full A levels for entry onto a degree course.

But ring the universities you're interested in and ask directly - they won't lie about your chances.
Perhaps for a Foundation year?
Reply 3
I know that the University of Leicester do accept two AS-levels in place of one A-level.
One guy i knew got an off er for Liverpool with 1 if he got an A (He got a B and the got it remarked 3 times and ended up with an E. I loled).
Reply 5
I cant find anything about amounts/types of qualifications on either site- just UCAS point entry requirements! I'll definitely contact them though.
Original post by mmnkeir
I cant find anything about amounts/types of qualifications on either site- just UCAS point entry requirements! I'll definitely contact them though.

"Candidates are also expected toachieve a minimum entry requirement for admission to an undergraduate degreeprogramme of a pass in two GCE A level subjects (in some cases specific subjects)or in an equivalent QCF level 3 (EQF level 4) qualification." https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/~/media/sample-sharepoint-libraries/policy-documents/8.pdf?la=en page 7

"The minimum academic entry requirement for a first degree programme is usually 2passes at GCE A level or equivalent, or 1 pass at GCE A level or equivalent inrespect of HNDs and Foundation degrees." http://www.mmu.ac.uk/academic/casqe/regulations/docs/admissions_policy.pdf page 10
Reply 7
Original post by mmnkeir

Original post by amg96
I know that the University of Leicester do accept two AS-levels in place of one A-level.

Which course OP? The comment about Leicester is true - do they offer your course?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
"Candidates are also expected toachieve a minimum entry requirement for admission to an undergraduate degreeprogramme of a pass in two GCE A level subjects (in some cases specific subjects)or in an equivalent QCF level 3 (EQF level 4) qualification." https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/~/media/sample-sharepoint-libraries/policy-documents/8.pdf?la=en page 7

"The minimum academic entry requirement for a first degree programme is usually 2passes at GCE A level or equivalent, or 1 pass at GCE A level or equivalent inrespect of HNDs and Foundation degrees." http://www.mmu.ac.uk/academic/casqe/regulations/docs/admissions_policy.pdf page 10

Ahh okay, thanks for your help. Would you still recommend contacting them anyway?
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Which course OP? The comment about Leicester is true - do they offer your course?

They do- I'm interested in film courses. I've never considered Leicester uni before but I'll do more research

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending