The Student Room Group

Foundation Year at Uni?

Just wondering if other people have applied for a Foundation year at Uni, and if anyone in the past has had any experience of what happened on their course that would be really helpful. :biggrin:

Computing with foundation year by the way
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Numero Uno
Just wondering if other people have applied for a Foundation year at Uni, and if anyone in the past has had any experience of what happened on their course that would be really helpful. :biggrin:

There are many many different courses. You might need to be a bit more specific...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am sure it works out just fine for many plus they get on the course they might otherwise not be able to. Do it at the Uni you wnat to do your degree at.
Imo its an expensive option compared to the cost of resitting A levels.
Reply 3

Yes and it was honestly the best thing decision I've ever made! I'm such a massive, massive fan of foundation years!
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
There are many many different courses. You might need to be a bit more specific...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeh I thought that but i didnt think i would get many responses if i put computing with a foundation year :/
Reply 5
Original post by Deyesy
Yes and it was honestly the best thing decision I've ever made! I'm such a massive, massive fan of foundation years!

which course did you choose??
Reply 6
which course did you choose??

Psychology :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Deyesy
Psychology

Alrighty thanks for that :smile:
Reply 8
Alrighty thanks for that :smile:

Honestly they're amazing. I like got to learn the 'uni life' - so living independently; studying independently; learning study skills such as referencing, note taking effectively, how to use the library etc; experiencing the way things are taught at uni (so seminars, lectures, lab sessions) all without the added pressure of an actual degree. It put me in such a good place for the beginning of 1st year
They are good and you learn the basis of your first year helping you when you start the actual degree. Although don't do what I did and not bother to revise certain things during first year because you've already learned it in foundation year, study over it again because you will forget over the summer before first year even if the keywords ring a bell :tongue:
I just think they suit certain types of people and certain situations.

How much does a foundation year cost? is it the same as a normal year of uni ? i.e £9,000 plus maybe £6,000-£8,000 in living costs. Plus you use up your spare years funding.

Price of A level resits? less than £300?

Youd have to look at what the state of your studies are and whether resits were viable from an academic perspective. If you dont mind the debt then go ahead, but make good use of soemthing you are taking on extra debt for.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
How much does a foundation year cost? is it the same as a normal year of uni ? i.e £9,000 plus maybe £6,000-£8,000 in living costs. Plus you use up your spare years funding.

No, AFAIK, if the foundation year is integrated into the degree you will get student funding as normal (plus the gift year).

e.g.
Engineering http://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2017/00428/engineering-with-an-integrated-foundation-year-4-or-5-years/
CompSci http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/80044.html
CompSci http://www.swansea.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/science/computer-science/bsc-computer-science-with-foundation-year-g401/#tuition-fees=is-expanded
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No, AFAIK, if the foundation year is integrated into the degree you will get student funding as normal (plus the gift year).

PQ can tell us. Ive seen several times where students have complained its affected their funding. It may have to do whether its integrated or not.
Reply 13
PQ can tell us. Ive seen several times where students have complained its affected their funding. It may have to do whether its integrated or not.

It definitely does...

(I've added a couple of examples above)
I just think they suit certain types of people and certain situations.

Price of A level resits? less than £300?

You'd have to look at what the state of your studies are and whether resits were viable from an academic perspective. If you don't mind the debt then go ahead, but make good use of something you are taking on extra debt for.

Original post by jneill

It was £6000 in tuition fees for my foundation year, and when I phoned up student finance they said I would get funding for the entire length of my actual degree plus one extra year.
I think a reason people choose foundation years over A-Level resits is to get used to University life.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Eternalflames
It was £6000 in tuition fees for my foundation year, and when I phoned up student finance they said I would get funding for the entire length of my actual degree plus one year.
I think a reason people choose foundation years over A-Level resits is to get used to University life.

To be 100% clear - does that mean your degree included the foundation year (which is what I'd expect if it was an integrated course)? And you didn't use up your "gift" year?
Original post by jneill
To be 100% clear - does that mean your degree included the foundation year (which is what I'd expect if it was an integrated course)? And you didn't use up your "gift" year?

Yes, the entire degree length (including foundation year) is included and I didn't use up the gift year :smile:

EDIT: For anyone who comes across this thread, the foundation year does use up the additional 'gift' year. Student finance later told me this
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Eternalflames
Yes, the entire degree length (including foundation year) is included and I didn't use up the gift year :smile:

Reply 18
You arent listening to what im saying and cba with you this evening.
No problem with it being integrated and being included.

Eh what? I'm not having a pop at you. I'm saying if it's integrated it gets funded. idk about other circumstances.

Seems like we are agreeing not arguing ...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Eh what? I'm not having a pop at you. I'm saying if it's integrated it gets funded. idk about other circumstances.

Ive already written if its integrated thats fine, so we all agree.

Quick Reply

Latest