The Student Room Group

Which martial art?

I have been doing Aikido for 5 months but I don't feel like it is for me I want to do a martial art where I feel like it is a workout and I could get all the bad energy out and anger.While I find aikido too calm and not much of an exercise also the school I go to only offers 1 1 hour session per week and I want something more demanding and that requires more energy and I could release my bad energy and feel sweat pouring down my face.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Taekwondo is the way to go - it's honestly so much fun and you get to blow off steam! I've been doing taekwondo for over a year now and its honestly so much fun but you have to prepared to work as it is a LOT of exercise x

http://www.worldtaekwondo.com/benefits.htm
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous1502
I have been doing Aikido for 5 months

I know this is a bit unrelated to the point, but I've been an Aikidoka for about 2 years now and was wondering where you train and also what type of aikido? :biggrin:

But if you want a martial arts which is more aggressive and demanding in terms of fitness then i'd agree with taekwondo, I have an aikido defected friend who has moved to taekwondo and really enjoys it, and finds it reasonably demanding!

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Cascadess
I know this is a bit unrelated to the point, but I've been an Aikidoka for about 2 years now and was wondering where you train and also what type of aikido? :biggrin:

But if you want a martial arts which is more aggressive and demanding in terms of fitness then i'd agree with taekwondo, I have an aikido defected friend who has moved to taekwondo and really enjoys it, and finds it reasonably demanding!

Hope that helps :smile:

I go to an Aikido school I am not sure what type I do I did not know there were types of aikido thank you so much for your advice.
I want to start learning Krav Maga. Looks epic!
Reply 5
As a Chinese I can only recommend Wu shu (Kung fu in the West)
I have been doing Aikido for 5 months but I don't feel like it is for me I want to do a martial art where I feel like it is a workout and I could get all the bad energy out and anger.While I find aikido too calm and not much of an exercise also the school I go to only offers 1 1 hour session per week and I want something more demanding and that requires more energy and I could release my bad energy and feel sweat pouring down my face.

Krav Maga? I hear it's quite intense
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
In taekwondo you obviously develop and use a lot of power so you can let out anger into the pads, but I feel like muay thai is the better option, it is extremely high intensity (much higher than taekwondo In my opinion) and the result is becoming stronger while also being drained afterwards - so I would have to assume your anger and bad energy will be taken out during it. I did karate when I was little and became a black belt. Now I'm a swimmer, I tried taekwondo but it wasn't very high intensity and I found I couldn't tire myself easily so if you're used to high energy exercise I wouldn't recommend taekwondo. My brother did muay thai for a short while and I am looking to start doing it (he is looking at doing it again), I went to watch him and grown, athletic men were exhausted by the end of it. It is a martial art which also focuses on the athletic side of you and I feel like this could help you release your bad energy and anger.
Original post by Rumit123
In taekwondo you obviously develop and use a lot of power so you can let out anger into the pads, but I feel like muay thai is the better option, it is extremely high intensity (much higher than taekwondo In my opinion) and the result is becoming stronger while also being drained afterwards - so I would have to assume your anger and bad energy will be taken out during it. I did karate when I was little and became a black belt. Now I'm a swimmer, I tried taekwondo but it wasn't very high intensity and I found I couldn't tire myself easily so if you're used to high energy exercise I wouldn't recommend taekwondo. My brother did muay thai for a short while and I am looking to start doing it (he is looking at doing it again), I went to watch him and grown, athletic men were exhausted by the end of it. It is a martial art which also focuses on the athletic side of you and I feel like this could help you release your bad energy and anger.

Taekwondo vs kung fu vs Muay thai vs karate ?
My preferred choice..

Thai Boxing, without a doubt. Taikwando is passive compared to Thai Boxing - I've done both, but focussed on Thai Boxing.

Thai Boxing is fast and aggressive and you use your entire body to attack.
Krav Maga

Both intense and highly functional!

Focus on things that have been proven to be effective. Brazilian Juijitsu, wrestling, sambo, muay thai. All are fun all keep you fit, kill 4 birds with one stone and more go study MMA its all of the arts that were proven to be effective in one style free to interpret.
Reply 14
I do TKD so obviously would recommend it too but I think the club matters more than which art if you've not already committed to one. Like within TKD I've tried out clubs that are badly taught, unwelcoming and/or a bit lazy. I've also found clubs that are way over the top on strictness and discipline which takes the fun out of it and clubs where the instructor is just a bit of an arse. Not to mention the ones that are all about making money and nothing else. It's the same with any martial art.

I think the thing to do is find what's on offer within reasonable distance for you and rule out any you just don't find interesting then give the rest a try. They usually let you do a session or two for free and it'll let you find what is really the best option for you instead of us guessing or just telling you what we like
Reply 15

I myself do MMA (Mixed Martial Arts), which entails all forms so one week we may focus on forms, whilst others may be street defence and fitness. If you want to develop yourself as a whole and release anger this may help.
Otherwise perhaps try Muay thai, as that has a focus on power and technique

Hope this helps

:smile:
Reply 16
With aikido it all comes down to where you train. In a lot of clubs, in order to appeal to a wider group of people, the intensity is often dialled down. Because of aikido's emphasis on not using physical strength to compensate for technique, it tends to get away with it. However, right now I'm training aikido in Japan and it's quite intense there.

If you're looking for a martial art with an emphasis on physical conditioning, you might want to look at some styles of karate or a combat sport like MMA or boxing.
Original post by ForestShadow
My preferred choice..

*prsom*

Try Keysi! It's fu*king epic and probably the most applicable...
try MMA or krav maga :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest