The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sani Ej
Please can you explain q4a Jan -12 I really don't know where the answer came from

When you dilute an acid, use the formula Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 23.25.50.png.
Same would apply for bases, replacing [H+] with [OH-]. (Click on the image to make it bigger btw.)
Original post by cutelady
But sometimes both species are present in two different reactions , so how would I know?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the rate determining step look for whats in the rate equation and the number of mols of the speceis in the rate equation and if its the same as the rds.

Original post by Azzer11
Does anyone know why vdw forces act between terylene molecules instead of hydrogen bonding?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats a polyester right? I think for H-bonds, the electronegative atom has to be attached to a hydrogen. I remember reading something to that effect as to why carboxylic acids form H-bonds between themselves but ketones and aldehydes don't.

EDIT: Oops, didn't notice how many pages had passed since these questions were asked. Sorry if these questions have already been answered!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hopingmedicinae
This is great but I lose it when is comes to 1/2 X moles of H+ neutralise 1/2x moles of OH-

would you be able to substitute some made up random simple numbers in it and exemplify?

Thankyou, sorry to be a pain!

Alkenes react with aqueous bromine, alkanes don't.

CnH2n is either an alkene or cycloalkane. :smile:
Original post by Parallex
Alkenes react with aqueous bromine, alkanes don't.

CnH2n is either an alkene or cycloalkane. :smile:

Do you mind quickly explaining the use of chromotography? and what q7b is on about?
What do we have to know about it?
Original post by Super199

Do you mind quickly explaining the use of chromotography? and what q7b is on about?
What do we have to know about it?

Chromatography is a method of seperating similar compounds.

Alcohols are more polar than ketones due to the O-H bond being much more polar than the C=O bond. In column chromatography there is a stationary phase (silica) and the mixture of compounds is carried by the mobile phase which is a solvent. Each compound has a different affinity for the stationary phase. A greater affinity means it will take longer to reach the bottom of the column because there is a stronger attraction to the stationary phase. Propanol has the greater affinity for the stationary phase because it is more polar and hence a greater retention time, meaning propanone is the first to leave the column.
what effects retention time?
what does solubility and polarity have to do with chromotography. Cheers :smile:

Alcohols are more polar than ketones due to the O-H bond being much more polar than the C=O bond. In column chromatography there is a stationary phase (silica) and the mixture of compounds is carried by the mobile phase which is a solvent. Each compound has a different affinity for the stationary phase. A greater affinity means it will take longer to reach the bottom of the column because there is a stronger attraction to the stationary phase. Propanol has the greater affinity for the stationary phase because it is more polar and hence a greater retention time, meaning propanone is the first to leave the column.

Do you mind listing the type of chromotography's and the stationary/liquid phases:

Is GLC: Stationary - liquid
mobile - inert gas

IDk what other types there are?

Edit: what does affinity mean sorry lol

Even though I didn't ask the question you definitely cleared up any confusion I had with chromatography so THANK YOU :hugs:you explained this a lot better than my teacher :smile:
Do you mind listing the type of chromotography's and the stationary/liquid phases:

Is GLC: Stationary - liquid
mobile - inert gas

IDk what other types there are?

Edit: what does affinity mean sorry lol

Column:
Stationary - Silica gel.
Mobile - Solvent

GLC:
Stationary - powder coated with oil.
Mobile - unreactive gas (i.e. Nitrogen/Helium)

They're the only 2 we need to know I think.

Affinity in this case means the attraction to the stationary phase. Think of it like a magnet, the different compounds have a different affinity - or in this analogy - stronger and weaker attractions to the magnet. This leads to the compounds leaving the column at different times.
Column:
Stationary - Silica gel.
Mobile - Solvent

GLC:
Stationary - powder coated with oil.
Mobile - unreactive gas (i.e. Nitrogen/Helium)

They're the only 2 we need to know I think.

Affinity in this case means the attraction to the stationary phase. Think of it like a magnet, the different compounds have a different affinity - or in this analogy - stronger and weaker attractions to the magnet. This leads to the compounds leaving the column at different times.

What sort of qs do you normally get asked?
What sort of qs do you normally get asked?

It's usually just why one leaves the column first from the papers that I've done.
For every 2mol of SO3 that breaks down, 2mol of SO2 and 1 mol of O2 are formed. We're not saying that some SO3 breaks down to form SO2 and some breaks down to O2, it's that each mole of SO3 that breaks down forms one mole of SO2 AND half a mole of O2.

Thank you so much, sorry I was having a very stupid moment
The 2015 paper was a joke
It's usually just why one leaves the column first from the papers that I've done.

Which is just the solubility or what?
Original post by jessyoung
The 2015 paper was a joke

Yeaa can see this years being weird too :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I AM GOING TO FAIL!!
Basically I am good with everything apart from when they ask you to deduce a structure of an isomer with the molecular formula "C6H12O2" i take too long on the questions, and I always end up getting them wrong! Does anyone have a quick method of working these out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone explain to me why in q3bii we halve the values, when volume is doubled?
I know how to work out the answer but in terms of theory can someone explain it?
Thanks
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM4-QP-JUN14.PDF
Would someone mind listing the advtanges and diadvanted of incineration and different methods of diposal of polymers? All the one ive seen are somewhat wishy washy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending