The Student Room Group

More lessons or just go for test?.

Hey, I've only had 7 hours driving lessons and decided to go for test, I failed. Just wanted to see what it was like, I got 3 minors and 2 serious.

Minors were at the end of the test,

1st Serious -

Roundabout - apparently my front wheel went into the other lane - resulting in another driver slowing down.

2nd Serious - Seen the school 20sign, said it to the examiner, turned onto a new road 'had no idea I had to wait till I seen the 30sign again, so automatically sped up and got the second serious'.

I'm now insured on a car which I drive sometimes, I don't think I need anymore lessons and my test is on the 20th, whats your thoughts?.
I'd perhaps talk to your driving instructor and ask to do a 'practise test' with him. Assuming that your instructor knows you're doing your tests, as the recommended amount of lessons before doing a test is 10.

So I would say do at least 10 lessons before going for another test, and practise inbetween them aswell.

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Lucarious30
I'd perhaps talk to your driving instructor and ask to do a 'practise test' with him. Assuming that your instructor knows you're doing your tests, as the recommended amount of lessons before doing a test is 10.

So I would say do at least 10 lessons before going for another test, and practise inbetween them aswell.

Hope this helps!

I no longer have an instructor, he did offer me his car, but I've practiced more in the other, so I decided to go with that one for the test, 10hours seems a bit much, I was rather unlucky in the test. I'll just go for it on the 20th, wish the test was more 'fair' though, seems a bit silly.
Reply 3
Original post by damien911
I was rather unlucky in the test.
You weren't unlucky, you just weren't prepared for it. After only 7 hours of training, I'm not surprised. You even admitted yourself that you had no idea you had to wait fora further sign. This proves your lack of knowledge.

wish the test was more 'fair' though, seems a bit silly.
It is perfectly fair. Those who don't wander into other drivers' lanes on roundabouts or exceed speed limits will pass. Those who do, don't.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Advisor
You weren't unlucky, you just weren't prepared for it. After only 7 hours of training, I'm not surprised. You even admitted yourself that you had no idea you had to wait fora further sign. This proves your lack of knowledge.

It is perfectly fair. Those who don't wander into other drivers' lanes on roundabouts or exceed speed limits will pass. Those who do, don't.

Well my stepdad failed his test because he avoided an accident, a friend of mine failed a test because he went through one set of lights and didn't commit to turning because it was red so he wasted 100pounds just to learn about a traffic light that you must commit if you pass the first set, other than that his driving was fine - I'm sure there is plenty of other dumb reasons why people are failed.

The chances of me learning that with more practice is pretty slim, unless I done a lesson in school hours, so unlucky? yes.
Well my stepdad failed his test because he avoided an accident, a friend of mine failed a test because he went through one set of lights and didn't commit to turning because it was red so he wasted 100pounds just to learn about a traffic light that you must commit if you pass the first set, other than that his driving was fine - I'm sure there is plenty of other dumb reasons why people are failed.

The chances of me learning that with more practice is pretty slim, unless I done a lesson in school hours, so unlucky? yes.

I agree that the reasons some people fail can appear particuarly silly. Although, they are there for a reason and if they keepletting mistakes slide then we’ll have bad drivers all over the place. Keep inmind the test is based and judged on your drive in the hour or two they arewith you.

Saying that, if you get the same instructor and he fails you, flip the car and say and say you fart in his general direction :colonhash:
Reply 6
I can't believe that you could possibly learn everything in 7 hours! I had 45 hours driving and was still nervous for my test!! If you rush your way into a test it's bound to end badly. Get your instructor back and learn properly with someone who knows what will be included in your test. The mistakes you made should and would not be made by a more experienced learner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by CeeDixon
I can't believe that you could possibly learn everything in 7 hours! I had 45 hours driving and was still nervous for my test!! If you rush your way into a test it's bound to end badly. Get your instructor back and learn properly with someone who knows what will be included in your test. The mistakes you made should and would not be made by a more experienced learner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Experienced learner - well you've done 45 hours, I've done 7. You're much more experienced so you should pass with ease if you want to put it like that.

I've been doing more driving in my own car since, well hopefully I'll give good news on the 20th, decided just to go for it, not much else one can fail for, just need to stick to my own lane and not let a wheel go on a rampage
Reply 8
Original post by Lucarious30
I agree that the reasons some people fail can appear particuarly silly. Although, they are there for a reason and if they keepletting mistakes slide then we’ll have bad drivers all over the place. Keep inmind the test is based and judged on your drive in the hour or two they arewith you.

Saying that, if you get the same instructor and he fails you, flip the car and say and say you fart in his general direction :colonhash:

I agree to most of what you say, but failing for not knowing about a traffic light is just stupid, or because you avoided an accident... lol. like robots ticking paper and not focused on your actual driving :frown:.
I agree to most of what you say, but failing for not knowing about a traffic light is just stupid, or because you avoided an accident... lol. like robots ticking paper and not focused on your actual driving :frown:.

I started trying to reason with you and ended up being on your side.. Touché sir :wink2:
Reply 10
a friend of mine failed a test because he went through one set of lights and didn't commit to turning because it was red so he wasted 100pounds just to learn about a traffic light that you must commit if you pass the first set, other than that his driving was fine
That proves my point perfectly. His driving instructor (assuming he had one) didn't train him how to respond to changing traffic lights mid turn, so had to rely on a driving examiner on test to tell him that he didn't know what to do in that situation. That's one hell of an expensive lesson. It's ludicrous to spend £62 on a driving test umpteen times over just to keep retaking and retaking it so an examiner can "teach" you driving over the course of multiple failure debriefs over months and years. (Yes, this actually happens with some 'private' entries)

Get trained properly by a good instructor, put in the hours, learn how to cope with all the "hypothetical" situations you can't quite practise and you'll pass first time.

failing for not knowing about a traffic light is just stupid
**NEWSFLASH** To pass a basic test of competence to drive, one has to demonstrate 'knowing about a traffic light'. :rolleyes:

Would you prefer to share the road with people who obviously don't have a clue about them? Good job you're not making decisions about who gets driving licences. I think I prefer letting the qualified driving experts decide.

The chances of me learning that with more practice is pretty slim, unless I done a lesson in school hours,
To hold a licence, you must demonstrate the ability to drive in ALL road and traffic situations in ANY conditions. In other words, you should have done lessons in busy times as well as quiet times. You should know in theory how to deal with changing situations, even if you live in a quiet remote area, but want to hold a licence to drive in the busiest cities in the UK. Ideally you should have had experience in all weathers, but if not actually possible, your instructor should have drilled you thoroughly in how to use the controls in bad weather, such as wipers, windscreen washers, demisters, headlights etc. If you can't find and operate these correctly and prompty (even on the move) when it rains / gets dark / fogs up , then not only are you not ready to be unleashed onto the roads, but your instructor hasn't done his/her job properly.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Advisor
That proves my point perfectly. His driving instructor (assuming he had one) didn't train him how to respond to changing traffic lights mid turn, so had to rely on a driving examiner on test to tell him that he didn't know what to do in that situation. That's one hell of an expensive lesson. It's ludicrous to spend £62 on a driving test umpteen times over just to keep retaking and retaking it so an examiner can "teach" you driving over the course of multiple failure debriefs over months and years. (Yes, this actually happens with some 'private' entries)

Get trained properly by a good instructor, put in the hours, learn how to cope with all the "hypothetical" situations you can't quite practise and you'll pass first time.

**NEWSFLASH** To pass a basic test of competence to drive, one has to demonstrate 'knowing about a traffic light'. :rolleyes:

Would you prefer to share the road with people who obviously don't have a clue about them? Good job you're not making decisions about who gets driving licences. I think I prefer letting the qualified driving experts decide.

To hold a licence, you must demonstrate the ability to drive in ALL road and traffic situations in ANY conditions. In other words, you should have done lessons in busy times as well as quiet times. You should know in theory how to deal with changing situations, even if you live in a quiet remote area, but want to hold a licence to drive in the busiest cities in the UK. Ideally you should have had experience in all weathers, but if not actually possible, your instructor should have drilled you thoroughly in how to use the controls in bad weather, such as wipers, windscreen washers, demisters, headlights etc. If you can't find and operate these correctly and prompty (even on the move) when it rains / gets dark / fogs up , then not only are you not ready to be unleashed onto the roads, but your instructor hasn't done his/her job properly.

If you say so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending