The Student Room Group

Has anyone experienced prejudice whilst dating another race?

I distinctly remember going out for a meal with my male black flatmate whilst I was still at university and some of the looks you got from black women were horrendous. Ditto with all the ribbing and abuse from young white lads. We weren't even holding hands or kissing or anything overt, why do people still have problems with interracial dating in 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've never dated any girl, let alone a girl from another race
Original post by UWS
I've never dated any girl, let alone a girl from another race

Your time will come one day :smile:
Yeah I'm a mixed race (black and white) woman and I get it all the time. If I'm out with a white guy I get questioning looks, looks of scorn and disapproval mainly from white women and black men. When I'm out with a black guy I get the same from black women, though white men don't seem to be fussed about it they actually stare more when I'm with another white man. So I can't win no matter who I date someone has something to say. And I'm not even dating or being affectionate with these guys I was just out and about with them as friends.

Being mixed race and part of a mixed race family I am used to it though it's been like that all my life as my family and I get stared at sometimes when we are out in public. I'm used to things like: 'Is that really your daughter?' directed at my parents right in front of me and such. I grew up in an area that was over 95% white so I'm used to being the odd one too.

To me it's all silly and I don't understand. We don't own nor are we entitled to members of the same ethnic group people can date who they want.
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I'm a mixed race (black and white) woman and I get it all the time. If I'm out with a white guy I get questioning looks, looks of scorn and disapproval mainly from white women and black men. When I'm out with a black guy I get the same from black women, though white men don't seem to be fussed about it they actually stare more when I'm with another white man. So I can't win no matter who I date someone has something to say. And I'm not even dating or being affectionate with these guys I was just out and about with them as friends.

Being mixed race and part of a mixed race family I am used to it though it's been like that all my life as my family and I get stared at sometimes when we are out in public. I'm used to things like: 'Is that really your daughter?' directed at my parents right in front of me and such. I grew up in an area that was over 95% white so I'm used to being the odd one too.

To me it's all silly and I don't understand. We don't own nor are we entitled to members of the same ethnic group people can date who they want.

Urgh, I'm sorry you've had to go through all that trouble, I don't understand why people feel the need to act weirdly when it happens. It isn't any of their business, the year is 2016, not 1956, interracial dating and relationships happen, deal with it
Yes, mostly from my parents but I remember occasionally when I was out (at gigs mostly) with my ex, we'd get "looks", mostly from white guys.
I don't really care about anyone else's thoughts on any of my relationships though, so whatever
Reply 6
Yes a few times, I dated a white guy at uni and people would stare and some would have the nerve how it works out culturally. Rude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quite surprised people would care , i couldn't give one single fck
those black women were probably jealous still very common some of it is just natural fear of the unknown a lot of it s latent racism
Sort of taboo and unusual to some I think sadly.
I get it all the time because I'm dating a white guy. I mostly get it from other Asians who think I'm Indian or something.
Reply 11
Original post by godivaontherocks
I get it all the time because I'm dating a white guy. I mostly get it from other Asians who think I'm Indian or something.

I just wish they'd leave us alone.
Original post by RobML
I just wish they'd leave us alone.

Nice try. NOT you. :biggrin:
Original post by cbreef
Sort of taboo and unusual to some I think sadly.

I guess some people need to be dragged into the 21st century kicking and screaming; looks like we'll have to do it
::laugh:
I think it comes from their upbringing to be honest. I must admit I was somewhat guilty of it myself at one point. I feel that a lot of people are put off doing it because of the prejudice that exists towards it. By the time our kids come around it shouldn't be an issue hopefully
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm from a sikh background but this probs applies to most Asians who will look at a Asian girl with a white guy. firstly they probs don't want women to be liberal. its only usually the girls that get judged though. my family is proper western so it don't happen in mine and my mindset is more like a Englishman than a indian. probs cuz I have been raised in a town with proper English lads and don't speak anything but basic Punjabi. after all this is England why would I want to speak other languages on these green and pleasant shores/lands.
Reply 17
in my dreams people see me and get jealous of my big cock as i walk pass them with my exotic lady.

dunno whether that's relevant though
Yes, when I was going out with this alien, we would go out in the street and people would call her big eyes and long feelers and all these things and I would have to just knock them out on the spot.

Someone even called me green fingers lmao. So I blasted him with my phaser lmaoooooooooooo.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by King Scorchy
Yes, when I was going out with this alien, we would go out in the street and people would call her big eyes and long feelers and all these things and I would have to just knock them out on the spot.

Someone even called me green fingers lmao. So I blasted him with my phaser lmaoooooooooooo.

At first I thought you meant 'alien' in the archaic sense lmao

Quick Reply