The Student Room Group

BREAKING: Hostage situation in Paris after man kills policeman

Scroll to see replies

The government should create a mandatory video for every single citizen to watch, explaining loud and clearly that Islam is not a race. I don't know how many times it is necessary to repeat it for people to get it into their thick skulls.
I think of it like this:

There are 500 people on a boat. One of them definitely has an extremely infectious and lethal disease which, if allowed to properly cultivate and spread, would kill everyone on the boat. They don't want to be quarantined, however. You know that this one person is out of 10 people who wear a hat (the hat covers up a visible symptom; an obvious bump). This is very hard to detect without knowing who has the head bump, thus the elimination becomes easier if you, at the very least, ask them to take off their hats.

I am not sure of ISIS' motives, nor how they link with other Muslims' beliefs, but I consider rationality to rule over ethics. There's probably a flaw in my scenario, so I'd like it if you could find it; I might become a bit more considerate =3=

I don't want to get into a debate here qwq
Funny how the media has completely ignored it

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is awful. Something has to be done about radical Islamic terrorism and attacks. And it has to be done quickly.

Note: 'radical' was used. This acknowledges that not all Muslims are the same.
Original post by ivybridge
This is awful. Something has to be done about radical Islamic terrorism and attacks. And it has to be done quickly.

Perhaps end drone campaigns in the Muslim world? That would probably be a great start.
Original post by AlifunArnab
Perhaps end drone campaigns in the Muslim world? That would probably be a great start.

No, perhaps you misread: I said "something" has to be done. Not "nothing".
Reply 66
Poor baby boy. It's always incredibly sad to know a child has lost its parents.And then to one day find out they were murdered for nothing.

Life is so sad.
Reply 67

"The Muslim world" :rolleyes:

You mean lawless areas in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

We need to get to the root cause of this problem and avoid these people getting radicalised. I would say more cooperation from the Muslim community to prevent youngsters being influenced by radicals. The issue is though, people radicalising them don't do it openly, making it harder to monitor.

Ill translate what you said: "Please stop killing the terrorists that live in the Muslim world, so that they can plan attacks to kill you more easily".

How about increasing the Muslim populations of Western nations, that will help right?
No, perhaps you misread: I said "something" has to be done. Not "nothing".

No, I read it right.

Original post by The_Opinion
Ill translate what you said: "Please stop killing the terrorists that live in the Muslim world, so that they can plan attacks to kill you more easily".

My words are pretty clear.

If you look at drone statistics you'll see that most of those killed were civilians.

'Between January 2012 and February 2013,” The Intercept reported, “U.S. special operations airstrikes killed more than 200 people. Of those, only 35 were the intended targets. During one five-month period of the operation, according to the documents, nearly 90 percent of the people killed in airstrikes were not the intended targets.” That’s one campaign of many in just one country where drone killings happen.'

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/the-obama-administrations-drone-strike-dissembling/473541/
No, I read it right.

My words are pretty clear.

If you look at drone statistics you'll see that most of those killed were civilians.

'Between January 2012 and February 2013,” The Intercept reported, “U.S. special operations airstrikes killed more than 200 people. Of those, only 35 were the intended targets. During one five-month period of the operation, according to the documents, nearly 90 percent of the people killed in airstrikes were not the intended targets.” That’s one campaign of many in just one country where drone killings happen.'

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/the-obama-administrations-drone-strike-dissembling/473541/

And them 35 would have gone on to kill a lot more than 165 others. Also, the definition of "innocent" is an issue here.
And them 35 would have gone on to kill a lot more than 165 others. Also, the definition of "innocent" is an issue here.

ISIS also say the same thing.
ISIS also say the same thing.

Your point being?
Your point being?

Figure it out.
Reply 76
Original post by ModernGoodGuy
Strawman.

Really stupid Strawman.

Islamic terrorism has been the most dangerous terrorism affecting the globe this century. It's reach has spread from Canada down to South America, the USA to the far east and everywhere in between. It's frequency is increasing at an alarming rate.

Now, the truth is that no other religion comes close to this. Not Christianity. Not Judaism. Not Hinduism. Not Buddhism.

Sure you can give an irrelevant response like "oh damn forget the thousands killed by Islamic terrorism in the last fifteen years, what bout does Crusades doe?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Strawman now is it? "Really stupid strawman"? (the fact that you had to include that twice as a basis of your argument indicates that you provide no rational argument at all). You have FAILED to address the issues with banning one religion. If you ban one religion, then why not ban all the others? That was my argument hence mentioning Christianity and Judaism. But again, you have read my point and you have refuse to do so because it's clear that you're an Islamophobe;

But...but Islamophobia doesn't exist™, see that sqwiggly line underneath the word? I am CRITICISING Islam is usually the response I get from many like yourself. The denial usually shows a lot about the poster. Let me educate you on Islamophobia before I continue; Islamophobia is generally prejudice against Muslims and dislike towards them. Now, wanting to eradicate Islam and Muslims' very existence is pointing towards Islamophobia.

Islamophobia is so serious that many news outlets and respectable individuals acknowledge the existence of an anti-Muslim trend (Islamophobia). It is no different from Anti-Semitism and Homophobia. It involved groups being discriminated for their beliefs, sexuality etc. etc.

Guardian
Over 3,000 US respondents were asked to rate members of religious groups using a “feeling thermometer” that ranged from 0 to 100: 0 indicated the coldest, most negative possible rating and 100 the warmest, most positive rating. Muslims scored just 40.

Now this statistic is worrying since Muslims only make up only 1% of the population. Despite this many people DENY the presence of Islamophobia. I dare you to say you deny homophobia and Anti-Semitism exist and there will be an outrage.

It's funny how you completely dismiss this though and automatically label it as strawman. So tell me; if you are willing to ban a religion, it's celebration and it's believers from a country then why isn't the same treatment used for other religions? Oh wait, again there is a bias in your answer.

You do not like the thought of Islam? Okay, cool. You have the freedom to voice these opinions but equally, others have the freedom to challenge and criticise your views as well as having the FREEDOM OF RELIGION AND EXPRESSION that the West "values". The very foundations of Democracy lie on individual liberty and freedom, spanning from the times of William III and the declaration of rights (later the Bill of Rights). Let me add that freedom of speech ends where hatred starts. As soon as speech turns to hatred it is no longer tolerated.

You also point out how Islam is the most dangerous type of terrorism that has existed in this century. Please give me a source (preferably unbiased since I want to be able to take you and your argument seriously).

Now the Global Research Organisation has very different conclusions than your baseless claims.

According to this data, there were more Jewish acts of terrorism within the United States than Islamic (7% vs 6%). These radical Jews committed acts of terrorism in the name of their religion. These were not terrorists who happened to be Jews; rather, they were extremist Jews who committed acts of terrorism based on their religious passions, just like Al-Qaeda and company.

This study was carried out in 2013. Your claim was that Islamic Terrorism is a threat that has been prominent THIS CENTURY. Not. The. Case.

You also say that, let me quote. "No other religion comes close to this". Not. The. Case. (Read Jewish acts of terrorism). Of course, that doesn't mean all Jewish people are a threat. I don't see you calling for the burning of synagogues and banning of Jews from the USA (or the UK)

We agree. And so do most Americans. Indeed as we’ve previously documented you’re more likely to die from brain-eating parasites, alcoholism, obesity, medical errors, risky sexual behavior or just about anything other than terrorism.

The GRO argues that parasites, alcoholism, obesity etc. are more of a THREAT than terrorism. The whole myth that you may get bombed by a terrorist all the time is a lie.

It has also been proven from a meta analysis from suicide attacks that motive is usually due to GEOPOLITICS and not necessarily Islam.

I have just broken down your argument bit by bit. You provide no evidence.

You have a prejudice against Muslims. The internet must give you a sense of safety and anonymity allowing you to spew hatred since you probably wouldn't be so anti-Muslim in real life.

Islam is in this world and it will be here to stay for many centuries as it has been before. Your three-year old tantrums aren't going to make Muslims magically disappear.

because islamic terrorism began with drones?

logic is ' defeat crime by removing the police service'
Original post by Chakede
because islamic terrorism began with drones?

logic is ' defeat crime by removing the police service'

If the police service was mostly killing and arresting innocent individuals, I'm sure most of us would consider either removing them or changing how they operate.
If the police service was mostly killing and arresting innocent individuals, I'm sure most of us would consider either removing them or changing how they operate.

im sure the criminals constantly ***** about the cops and wish they werent there.

strikes and drones have effectively knocked off scores of IS and previously Al ueda and taliban leadership - so they are a good thing. islamist home countries have never been able to get anywhere near those islamist leadership. If they had and muslim countries could remove their own islamist viruses- there would be no need for drones
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending