The Student Room Group

Orlando Shootings: Vigils Across England

Are any of you attending one of the vigils being held across the country for the Orlando Shootings?

If so, why? What does it mean to you?

Myself and a friend are attending one tomorrow in Cambridge. We're both LGBTQIA and have found the news pretty distressing. We were shocked at the impact it seemed to have on us and our LGBTQIA friends because we weren't there or knew anybody affected. However, this event has a much bigger impact and is a wake up call, I think, to the West.

We also want to attend to show our solidarity and love.

image.jpeg

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ivybridge
Are any of you attending one of the vigils being held across the country for the Orlando Shootings?

Myself and a friend are attending one tomorrow in Cambridge. We're both LGBTQIA and have found the news pretty distressing. We were shocked at the impact it seemed to have on us and our LGBTQIA friends because we weren't there or knew anybody affected. However, this event has a much bigger impact and is a wake up call, I think, to the West.

image.jpeg

its still a fairly fresh attrocity on peoples minds. after paris and belgium i think there were tributes to remember those victims too. however when there were attacks in frances jewish schools, bali, pakistan, mumbai, bangkok etc- i dont remember there being tributes to this level over here - essentially all were attacks by islamists on what they regard as non-islamic targets. unfotunatly love will not stop these people - everyone should remember it takes unity of the world to fight against islamist groups accross the globe and their political agendas
Reply 2
No I'm not going.

It's so so unfortunate that 50 people died in the past few days because of an ignorant, selfish, vile and homophobic man who does not deserve to be even given attention to.

The sad fact is that not only does this show that homophobia is still a problem, it's increasing and aggravating Xenophobia and Islamophobia. There are some groups that are capitalising on the shooting to promote their own racist and offensive causes, for example we have Steven Crowder, an American Christian with a known history of being anti-gay as well as many other senators using these events to act like they really care when in fact these groups have done nothing but alienate the LGBT community.

I wish this world will be less ignorant and open it's eyes.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Chakede
its still a fairly fresh attrocity on peoples minds. after paris and belgium i think there were tributes to remember those victims too. however when there were attacks in frances jewish schools, bali, pakistan, mumbai, bangkok etc- i dont remember there being tributes to this level over here - essentially all were attacks by islamists on what they regard as non-islamic targets. unfotunatly love will not stop these people - everyone should remember it takes unity of the world to fight against islamist groups accross the globe and their political agendas

So... are you going to one or not?

/thread
Reply 4
Original post by Chakede

It's true. Although all lives are equal, there tends to be less attention to ones in countries such as Pakistan, Palestine, Bangkok etc. etc.

Sometimes it seems that the hundreds of people who die daily in those countries have lives that do not matter.
Reply 5
Original post by Lujubi
It's true. Although all lives are equal, there tends to be less attention to ones in countries such as Pakistan, Palestine, Bangkok etc. etc.

Sometimes it seems that the hundreds of people who die daily in those countries have lives that do not matter.

right now theres still 90 or so hostages held by islamist group Abu saif in phillipines, one canadian i think is presumed dead - very little coverage of these people.

the nigerian school girls taken by islamists have gone off the media radar

unfortuantly little is being done in any collective global effort to tackle these repeated attrocities and the roots of the problem, all the vigils and peace songs in all western cities will do nothing to arrrest this problem
Reply 6
So... are you going to one or not?

/thread

i dont see the point honestly - in same why there was no point going to a synagogue vigil for the french school victims or a writers vigil after charlie hebdo. all the vigils in the wrold will not change these people agendas agaisnt these groups, against gays, apostates, school girls, western values, or non islamic values in general. i genuinally think attention should not be directed away from the need for concerted action globally to address islamsit extremism wherever it raises its head
No.

What is LGBTQIA?
Reply 8
Original post by Chakede
i dont see the point honestly - in same why there was no point going to a synagogue vigil for the french school victims or a writers vigil after charlie hebdo. all the vigils in the wrold will not change these people agendas agaisnt these groups, against gays, apostates, school girls, western values, or non islamic values in general. i genuinally think attention should not be directed away from the need for concerted action globally to address islamsit extremism wherever it raises its head

Vigils, in my opinion, pack a powerful punch in many ways. Just because they don't bear arms and fight ISIS, doesn't mean they are worthless. It is about showing respect for 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, whatever.
Reply 9
Original post by Wilfred Little
No.

What is LGBTQIA?

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex and Asexual.
Vigils, in my opinion, pack a powerful punch in many ways. Just because they don't bear arms and fight ISIS, doesn't mean they are worthless. It is about showing respect for 10 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, whatever.

there has been vigils i believe all over the place. ppl can feel bad for an attrocity without going to one, as i said there were no public vigils here for bali or bangkok - and yet the perpetrators were the same sort of islamist . having a sing song vigil may well make lgbt ppl feel better personally about this ( which i suppose has them some value) it doesnt really pack any sort of punch toward islamist groups. the only thing that stops islamists is taking them out

- i would hope the reaction of lgbt community is to join armed and intelligence services to do something about this
(edited 7 years ago)

image.jpeg

I probably won't be able to but I will observe ten minutes silence for the victims during when the vigil is being held if I can
It's more commonly ueed in the LGBTQIA community for people questioning who they are.

i see ok.

i was of course only offerring my opinion cos you asked. while i of course stand in aside anyone that sufferred at hands of islamists, i dont see the endless vigils of songs and rainbow flags is tackling any part of the problem - thats just imo.
otherwise we need to have vigils for every single societal group that is affected by islamists to be consistent- which would be a lengthy excercise, ultimatey we are all just ppl that have to unite to tackle a stark problem
I would actually love to but it's right in the middle of my exams. :frown:

I saw the Old Compton one and it was amazing to see all the support.

image.jpeg

Judging by the responses to this, i dont see any evidence the west waking up. I see the usual deflection and excuses from the same people and media that happens every time. Perhaps it is YOU and some of the LGBT community friends that have woken up a little and if it is, i am happy you have though sad that it took something so close to you for your empathy and brain to kick in

A mass public vigil will only entail an image for the media to use.
You have your right to mourn and reflect, but doing it unanimously in front of cameras just seems forced and scripted.
The only power you're giving is to the media
A vigil will not relive tensions that can cause more attacks and division.
Sucked it happened but wont be attending any event.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Blue_Mason
A mass public vigil will only entail an image for the media to use.
You have your right to mourn and reflect, but doing it unanimously in front of cameras just seems forced and scripted.
The only power you're giving is to the media
A vigil will not relive tensions that can cause more attacks and division.

Original post by Newsout
That isn't what I'm saying, I'm saying what is the point of pointing out whether the gays are left wing or right wing. That is quite irrelevant right now.

Plus conservatives are the people who keep warning about problems, yet always get silenced.

We warned the LGBT Community about the violence of islam but we are labelled as racist bigots, and now looks whats happened.

Guys, can you please make your own thread and take this elsewhere? I didn't invite this and this is not what the thread was about.

I appreciate your opinions but express them in another thread, please.

Original post by AsapRocky
Sucked it happened but wont be attending any event.

Okay :smile:
image.jpg

Guess who else is in Cambridge this evening
Maybe I will see you @ivybridge hehe
Reply 19
Original post by TelAviv
image.jpg

Guess who else is in Cambridge this evening
Maybe I will see you @ivybridge hehe

I was there! I'm back in boarding now, though.

Quick Reply

Latest