The Student Room Group

64% of TSR want to remain in the EU... share your vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Because it's a simple case of "these things that do not require EU membership will be lost if we don't have EU membership"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually our links to other universities and other leading science research facilities within in EU would be lost if we left, we would no longer be leaders in scientific research. Other countries want to be part of the EU to BOLSTER their science research. being part of the EU is a privilege for science, and for millions of people involved in science her in the UK.
Original post by 713Wave
Actually our links to other universities and other leading science research facilities within in EU would be lost if we left, we would no longer be leaders in scientific research. Other countries want to be part of the EU to BOLSTER their science research. being part of the EU is a privilege for science, and for millions of people involved in science her in the UK.

You have just demonstrated this whole "we need to be in the EU to do things we don't need to be in the EU for." Why exactly must we be in the EU to have ties with EU institutions? The Americans, for instance, manage just fine working with EU institutions:

1465664023997.jpg

And anyway, I always thought science claimed to be apolitical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by macromicro
It's scary how close this referendum is going to be due to short-sighted simpletons who wear Union Jack underwear and think we need to close the borders.

Remain: focus on long term
Leave: focus on short term

The problem is that not even in the short term is leaving a good option for us!!
Original post by Everglow
The remain campaign is built on scaremongering whilst the leave campaign is fronted by racists who misrepresent the true value of leaving.

You are making excuses for Leave but never for Remain. The truth is Remain are not scaremongering. We are presenting facts. And those facts are so freaking scary.

We're not lying, and we have the world's leading economists, historians, and politicians on our side.

You have Boris Johnson and UKIP. Well done.
Original post by ib_hopeful
Remain: focus on long term
Leave: focus on short term

The problem is that not even in the short term is leaving a good option for us!!

You'll find it's the other way around, leave talks of the long term and remain says "damn being better off in the long term, you don't want to lose a fiver tomorrow, do you?"

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are making excuses for Leave but never for Remain. The truth is Remain are not scaremongering. We are presenting facts. And those facts are so freaking scary.

We're not lying, and we have the world's leading economists, historians, and politicians on our side.

You have Boris Johnson and UKIP. Well done.

"Facts"

Posted from TSR Mobile
I find it frustrating that the younger generation will be most affected by the decision but they are not allowed to vote. No one knows what will happen so no one can say "This WILL" because nobody knows. I want to stay in the EU but all of the information being provided by the government is extremely biased and someone neutral should be in charge of delivering important information that could change our country for the better or worse.
Original post by TercioOfParma
It's far from collapsing as it is, we produce huge amounts of high quality research. Nothing to stop the government either changing its heart or the next one changing attitudes towards it.

I am not gonna deny the EU gives some perks to research, but it will hardly end your career if we leave.

The a

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's far from collapsing as it is, we produce huge amounts of high quality research. Nothing to stop the government either changing its heart or the next one changing attitudes towards it.

I am not gonna deny the EU gives some perks to research, but it will hardly end your career if we leave.

The only one that I can get the best regards and waiting to see you then you will have a wonderful time with the saw the article on Huffington post a question QQ to waaa to be able and interested aaaaaand and all attachments is strictly forbidden and I am also available on Monday away was automatically by a way that I A and all was www wwwaaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

The only one that I can get the best regards and waiting to see you then you will have a wonderful time with the saw the article on Huffington post a question QQ to waaa to be able and interested aaaaaand and all attachments is strictly forbidden and I am also available on Monday away was automatically by a way that I A and all was www wearables to weak we was the aaaaaand to be away AAA AAA wastewater Warsaw where I AAA batteries are not as was w

Posted from TSR Mobile

ondering to watch it Warsaw where a was awareness and waaa to We a waaa Swansea's wqaawaaawaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaae wastages was theawaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawqwaaaaaaaaaqaaaaaawawwaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwaaaaaaaqaaaaaaaaaaawaaeawaaawaqaawaaaaaaaqaaaaaaaaaaaaqaawawawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaqas a aaaaaand aaaaaaaeaaawaaaaaaaaand aaaaaand qaaaaawawq
The only one that I can get the best regards and waiting to see you then you will have a wonderful time with the saw the article on Huffington post a question QQ to waaa to be able and interested aaaaaand and all attachments is strictly forbidden and I am also available on Monday away was automatically by a way that I A and all was www wearables to weak we was the aaaaaand to be away AAA AAA wastewater Warsaw where I AAA batteries are not as was w

Posted from TSR Mobile

ondering to watch it Warsaw where a was awareness and waaa to We a waaa Swansea's wqaawaaawaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaaaaae wastages was theawaaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawqwaaaaaaaaaqaaaaaawawwaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwaaaaaaaqaaaaaaaaaaawaaeawaaawaqaawaaaaaaaqaaaaaaaaaaaaqaawawawaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawaawaaaaaaaaaaaaaqas a aaaaaand aaaaaaaeaaawaaaaaaaaand aaaaaand qaaaaawawq

Can I have what you're smoking?
Can I have what you're smoking?

The joys of the tablet accidentally unlocking in one's pocket

Posted from TSR Mobile
a lot of people on TSR aren't even going to vote, or they aren't even old enough to vote
besides, younger people (like those on TSR) don't have as much knowledge as older people so it's not like this means much legitimacy for the remain side
I'm obviously an exception because I study politics at uni and it's basically my job to know about things like the EU, the IMF, the WTO with precision.
also, youngsters haven't ever known anything other than the EU so they will obviously associate whatever goodness of the UK's current position with the EU.
that's in contrast with thos that are old enough to know the difference, and those who've overseen the evolution of the EEC into the EU and soon the united states of europe
(edited 7 years ago)
You'll find it's the other way around, leave talks of the long term and remain says "damn being better off in the long term, you don't want to lose a fiver tomorrow, do you?"

Posted from TSR Mobile

It baffles me how you can reduce staying in the European Union to "we don't want to lose a fiver".

It's like you're emulating the rhetoric of Blundering Boris
It baffles me how you can reduce staying in the European Union to "we don't want to lose a fiver".

It's like you're emulating the rhetoric of Blundering Boris

Given that the only real argument to remaining is "you'll be a bit poorer tomorrow, forget about next week" it's not hard to reduce it like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not only is that fairly accurate, it's also largely the Remain campaign's own framing of the matter.

It seems to be standard for conservative Remainers to list a load of serious problems with the EU, and then say, 'but the City financiers would really rather like it if you stayed, and some remote, elite think tank or international bureaucracy that is full of people you hate say it might shave a few pence off your pay packet through to 2030 if we leave'.

To be fair, left wing Remainers do note the added boon that the EU is able to defeat the will of the elected Conservative government, whilst at once claiming that we already have control as an 'independent country, like Germany'.

Of course, we've also been seeing increasing threats of war, famine, and pestilence on the Remain side, but mostly it comes back to monetary differences that even on the Treasury's own figures would be marginal.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Not only is that fairly accurate, it's also largely the Remain campaign's own framing of the matter.

It seems to be standard for conservative Remainers to list a load of serious problems with the EU, and then say, 'but the City financiers would really rather like it if you stayed, and some remote, elite think tank or international bureaucracy that is full of people you hate say it might shave a few pence off your pay packet through to 2030 if we leave'.

To be fair, left wing Remainers do note the added boon that the EU is able to defeat the will of the elected Conservative government, whilst at once claiming that we already have control as an 'independent country, like Germany'.

Of course, we've also been seeing increasing threats of war, famine, and pestilence on the Remain side, but mostly it comes back to monetary differences that even on the Treasury's own figures would be marginal.

Although the best part of the left wing argument is that it basically says "labour, nor any left of centre right party, will every win an election again (and that's a bad thing because even though the populace would clearly want it we don't)"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Although the best part of the left wing argument is that it basically says "labour, nor any left of centre right party, will every win an election again (and that's a bad thing because even though the populace would clearly want it we don't)"

Posted from TSR Mobile

They really do tie themselves in knots over this. Sturgeon, Eagle, and Rudd contradicted each other over and over on stage the other evening. I think it was Andrea Leadsom who answered, entirely accurately, that the argument about keeping the Tories out of government just means that they want to use the EU to get their own way regardless of what the British electorate thinks.
Original post by LydiaIbbi
So I'm particularly interested in animal treatment and these are just a few realities of what the EU allows. EU funds farmers who breed bulls for bullfighting. They allow live animals to be transported across Europe in trucks - we have to go along with that. They allowed a dog cull in Romania, where thousands of dogs were starved and beaten to death. They allowed boats used for killing whales into British waters which we can't refuse.

Our farmers go by rules which are typically more humane than many other countries in the EU, whilst other countries can source cheap meat mostly due to their weak standards.

I can supply links for these events if anybody wants them.

The EU also has many protections laws for animals and the environment. I am so passionate about climate change and the protection of our environment and the EU has done the most to combat the harsh reality of our modern life's consequences. If we go independent we will see less environmental action
Original post by EmmaRoseJones
The EU also has many protections laws for animals and the environment. I am so passionate about climate change and the protection of our environment and the EU has done the most to combat the harsh reality of our modern life's consequences. If we go independent we will see less environmental action

The EU is not fixed in stone! What are you going to do if the EU swings to the far Right? Current EU policies just demonstrate that the EU has sovereignty in certain areas. After Stage 2 of Eurozone Union it will have sovereignty over almost everything, the UK will lose self government entirely and have <10% of the vote in Council and Parliament.

This referendum is about self government for future generations, please don't get side-tracked by bribes and promises.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending