The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, just wanted to say that if anyone wanted a quick summary on everything you need to know for the course as a bit of last minute revision stuff then I made a thread. Don't know if it'll be useful but here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4159211

Anyway good luck, hope it goes well for you all. :woo:
Reply 521
the questions with excess OH- come up loads. you just use kw
Original post by Anon_98
Hey guys, just wanted to say that if anyone wanted a quick summary on everything you need to know for the course as a bit of last minute revision stuff then I made a thread. Don't know if it'll be useful but here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4159211

Anyway good luck, hope it goes well for you all. :woo:

legend, will you be doing the same for unit5?
You would use the base dissociation constant, Kb, if there was an excess of a weak base. If there is an excess of a strong base, you just use Kw, to find [H+]. However, we are not tested on questions using Kb, it's either an excess of weak acid or an excess of a strong base.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 524
Original post by Jpw1097
You would use the base dissociation constant, Kb, if there was an excess of a weak base. If there is an excess of a strong base, you just use Kw, to find [H+].

oh well if its weak base it wont come up as that isnt on the spec at all so i wouldn't worry about kb
Original post by Hadigy
Guys - look out for properties of fats/oil, m+4 peak, chromatography, converting sodium salts back to fatty acids, half equivalence, aspirin, dative covalent bonding amines, properties of amino acids as solids and liquids, disposing polymers, diprotic acids.

m+4 peak?
Reply 526
Original post by Hadigy
Guys - look out for properties of fats/oil, m+4 peak, chromatography, converting sodium salts back to fatty acids, half equivalence, aspirin, dative covalent bonding amines, properties of amino acids as solids and liquids, disposing polymers, diprotic acids.

why?
Original post by Kaya22
oh well if its weak base it wont come up as that isnt on the spec at all so i wouldn't worry about kb

Exactly.
Hey, sorry if it's already been mentioned I just skipped to the end. Does anyone know where I can find the WJEC CH4 and CH5 threads if there are some??
Original post by Hadigy

what's the M+4 peak??
Original post by Ultracrepidarian
legend, will you be doing the same for unit5?

Yes, planning to but I've got quite a few exams next week so I'm worried I won't be able to fit it in.
Original post by Ebaysass
what's the M+4 peak??

I found it in the cgp book, it is just when you have 2 x +2 isotopes such as 2 x br81 bonded to the same compound.
Original post by Hadigy
I found it in the cgp book, it is just when you have 2 x +2 isotopes such as 2 x br81 bonded to the same compound.

oh ok, what page was that??
Original post by Ebaysass
oh ok, what page was that??

Page 123
what is the general rule for the following reagents, as in when are suitable reagents?

1. Sn/HCl 2. LiAlH4 2. NaBH4
Original post by Anon_98
Yes, planning to but I've got quite a few exams next week so I'm worried I won't be able to fit it in.

i see, in any case good luck.
Reply 536
Original post by confusedkid1997
what is the general rule for the following reagents, as in when are suitable reagents?

h2/ni for everything pretty much (its easiest to remember)
Original post by confusedkid1997

Sn/HCl used for reducing nitrobenzene to aromatic amines
LiAlH4 used for reducing nitriles to amines
NaBH4 is only strong enough to reduce ketones and aldehydes to alcohols
Original post by Hadigy
Page 123

I get that the M+4 peak means there are 2 atoms of the halogen instead of one, but how does it change the ratio of the M and M+2 peak?? Do you thinkwe need to know that?
Original post by Ultracrepidarian
i see, in any case good luck.

Thank you v much, hopefully it'll work out- I'll tag you/something if I manage it. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending