The Student Room Group

Compulsory consent classes for guys at York uni from next year.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ElspethC
I don't know about York having a particular problem or anything, but regarding the photo I thought it was probably just a picture of a different talk/seminar? It said the classes only apply from this next year onwards, so I thought it probably wouldn't be that specific class since they wouldn't have held one yet.

Good point. Perhaps they have non compulsory versions? Its normal where they use a stock photo that they should say so.
If it is compulsory for all students, then I see much less of a problem.

Even then id just go and get it over with. They could balance it out with stuff on contraception, stds drugs etc. It all depends how they deliver it.
Original post by Underscore__
I'd just change my gender for the day to get out of going

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's sad is that you can probably actually do this and no one would dare complain.
Original post by 999tigger
I did say id have less fo an issue if it was for both sexes.
TBF the picture they used looks like it's all male. Assuming it was a pucture of the lecture.
Does York have a particular problem?

Why shouldnt everyone have to undergo it including 2nd and 3rd years?
It seems even more uneven that postgrads have to do it.

It's from a student newspaper. Lets not overanalyse the picture they used and just be grateful they didn't show one of a girl being dragged into some bushes.

I imagine there are a lot of practical reasons for just setting it as compulsory for all new students entering rather than rolling it out to existing students. Means they can set up a format for a relatively fixed number of students to occur on an annual basis, rather than having to do the whole university the first time.

Likewise it's easier to sell as "just part of our entry procedure" rather than dealing with the arguments over it being patronising to those who may have been there 6-7 years (or even 1-2) with no issues. I imagine they'll face enough resistance as it is just doing it to new entries.
Original post by Elivercury
It's from a student newspaper. Lets not overanalyse the picture they used and just be grateful they didn't show one of a girl being dragged into some bushes.

I imagine there are a lot of practical reasons for just setting it as compulsory for all new students entering rather than rolling it out to existing students. Means they can set up a format for a relatively fixed number of students to occur on an annual basis, rather than having to do the whole university the first time.

Likewise it's easier to sell as "just part of our entry procedure" rather than dealing with the arguments over it being patronising to those who may have been there 6-7 years (or even 1-2) with no issues. I imagine they'll face enough resistance as it is just doing it to new entries.

Thanks, but I think im free to view the information in front of me as presented and question it.
Easier to sell isnt a good excuse if it is just as relevant to existing students.
Thanks, but I think im free to view the information in front of me as presented and question it.
Easier to sell isnt a good excuse if it is just as relevant to existing students.

Question away, but question the article, not the policy. What you read was a piece written for a student newspaper and by no means an official announcement from the university. The fact the author has assumed it is targeted at men and used stock photography which supports this view does not necessarily have any reflection on what the new policy is about.

Perhaps the university feels that existing students will have already learnt via other methods that this is not acceptable. It is clear that this is an extension of an ongoing campaign rather than something completely new and out of the blue.

Ultimately it could be just as simple as they picked somewhere to draw a line in the sand and are sticking with it. They don't really need to give any more reason than that.
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
Consent classes can't be a bad thing, and education at least makes people think about these issues. However it seems to me illogical to limit them to men- it should be open to all genders, as it was at my Uni.

Yeah, like we've said, the OP seems to be twisting things a bit - the article never said it was just for men, it said it was for the freshers. I reckon it's probably for everyone and OP was just trying to stir **** up.
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
Consent classes can't be a bad thing, and education at least makes people think about these issues. However it seems to me illogical to limit them to men- it should be open to all genders, as it was at my Uni.

It wasn't stated anywhere in the article that it is for men only.
Question away, but question the article, not the policy. What you read was a piece written for a student newspaper and by no means an official announcement from the university. The fact the author has assumed it is targeted at men and used stock photography which supports this view does not necessarily have any reflection on what the new policy is about.

Perhaps the university feels that existing students will have already learnt via other methods that this is not acceptable. It is clear that this is an extension of an ongoing campaign rather than something completely new and out of the blue.

Ultimately it could be just as simple as they picked somewhere to draw a line in the sand and are sticking with it. They don't really need to give any more reason than that.

Thanks again for your advice. I dont believe I need your pemrission to question both. Your post is just as much conjecture as the person who wrote the article.
Original post by Dez
It looks more like one of the SU meetings, that room definitely isn't a lecture theatre.

I'm not sure how you would give such a talk would it be in a full lecture or small groups? Could well be just a stock photo, guess you'd have to have more idea of how that Uni works. I accepted elspethc's take on it though who made a good point.
Thanks again for your advice. I dont believe I need your pemrission to question both. Your post is just as much conjecture as the person who wrote the article.

Of course you don't, I was simply observing that it is a student piece and it would be rather ignorant to attribute biases from a student to the institution behind the policy.

Regarding my thoughts/conjecture, they are just that, my own musings and I haven't claimed otherwise. You are the one that asked the question I responded to and if you want a formal answer from the university, this probably isn't the place to ask it. :smile:
Reply 50
I don't understand consent,
"She's too drunk, she can't consent"
But then neither could he?
Original post by Josb
It says that "A third of female students in Britain have endured a sexual assault or unwanted advances at university". I find it disturbing that they mix sexual assault and "advances"...
I also faced "unwelcome sexual advances" at uni. I wouldn't call it sexual assault.

"around one in 20 had experienced more intimate but unwelcome advances or been pressurised into sexual activity." This seems to be a more correct number.

Stop bringing facts into the argument. This is about shock tactics, not the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It wasn't stated anywhere in the article that it is for men only.

Ah, sorry, just assumed from thread title. Should have read the article.
I have nothing against the classes but making the compulsory is just going to make people think it's stupid and probably not fully engage in what is being discussed.
Original post by ElspethC
Yeah, like we've said, the OP seems to be twisting things a bit - the article never said it was just for men, it said it was for the freshers. I reckon it's probably for everyone and OP was just trying to stir **** up.

Oops, I should have read the article. In which case, can't see any problem with this!
How is this gonna solve anything?
Original post by Imperion
How is this gonna solve anything?

It isn't. But it will make the SU feel like they really made a difference

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by Josb
It says that "A third of female students in Britain have endured a sexual assault or unwanted advances at university". I find it disturbing that they mix sexual assault and "advances"...
I also faced "unwelcome sexual advances" at uni. I wouldn't call it sexual assault.

"around one in 20 had experienced more intimate but unwelcome advances or been pressurised into sexual activity." This seems to be a more correct number.

Sorry I misread it - the article says that a third of the 1000 women had been a victim of inappropriate touching or groping. I'll edit my first post.
Reply 58
Original post by KRin
Do you have a source for to actual survey itself and not the article? I'm just curious about what they classified as 'sexual assault' since the article seemed to make a distinction between that and eg. inappropriate groping.

no I don't sorry.
For any of you still interested in this story. Firther info from source.

The description by the article of classes is inaccurate.
It is a single 20 minute talk.
Both genders attend the talk, which is given at the same time freshers are introduced to basics like the fire/ evactuation procedures.
The presentation will be posted to their website.

Think that clarifies things and looks far less onerous or controversial.

Quick Reply