The Student Room Group

Breaking news: ISIS leader Baghdadi killed in airstrike

No confirmation yet, multiple news agencies are reporting this but the substance of the reports are, as yet, pretty thin. Couldn't say for sure one way or the other

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3640726/ISIS-leader-Abu-Bakr-al-Baghdadi-killed-air-strike-Raqqa-according-pro-Islamic-State-news-agency.html

In the meantime, I'd encourage anyone interested in the subject to read Will McCants article about Baghdadi

http://www.brookings.edu/research/essays/2015/thebeliever

Or watch his talk on ISIS (starts at 3 minutes in). Very interesting and informative, McCants is probably the leading Western expert on the history of ISIS and Al-Qaeda in Iraq

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kur-qWNkzng
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

That's some swift strike back if true. It'll be quite a blow given the claims he makes about his ancestry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Safe to assume this isn't true, otherwise it would be plastered across every single British newspaper and news website, and not just the loose cannons like the Daily Mail / Mirror / Daily Express / Sun, etc.

YESSS!
Although, um, wouldn't this just cause more ISIS fighters to attack the US?
Reply 4
Incoming ****storm if this turns out to be true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even if true this won't stop the countless covert organizations from trying. They will do anything to ensure their shared vision becomes a reality.
Original post by nexttimeigetvpn
Safe to assume this isn't true, otherwise it would be plastered across every single British newspaper and news website, and not just the loose cannons like the Daily Mail / Mirror / Daily Express / Sun, etc.

Safe to assume you're not really well-informed enough about this subject to make that call.

First, the DM was the first English news source to report Shishani's death, which was true. This current news was reported in the Indian and Iranian press about 7 hours before being reported by the DM, and the original source is ISIS' own news agency Amaq. They would have little incentive to report it if it were not true.

Second, the DM article only went up about 30 minutes ago which means the news is still filtering through.
Original post by CorpusLuteum
YESSS!
Although, um, wouldn't this just cause more ISIS fighters to attack the US?

ISIS will attack the US whatever we do. Far better to take out their leadership, forcing less talented and experienced individuals to move up and take their place, and causing chaos and confusion in their ranks.
Original post by Thutmose-III
Safe to assume you're not really well-informed enough about this subject to make that call.

First, the DM was the first English news source to report Shishani's death, which was true. This current news was reported in the Indian and Iranian press about 7 hours before being reported by the DM, and the original source is ISIS' own news agency Amaq. They would have little incentive to report it if it were not true.

Second, the DM article only went up about 30 minutes ago which means the news is still filtering through.

You can nitpick individual cases when the Daily Mail was right, but even a broken clock is correct twice a day. There are thousands upon thousands of times these newspapers have purported outright lies and jumping the gun on unconfirmed rumours.

For the Islam haters on the student room, don't get too excited until you see it on some respected news sources.
Original post by Aj12
That's some swift strike back if true. It'll be quite a blow given the claims he makes about his ancestry.

It seems the claimed drone strike happened on Sunday morning in Iraq which would be around the same time the Orlando attack was occurring in Florida. As such I don't think there's a direct link between the two events (as much as it would be swift justice, though I've previously expressed my preference that Baghdadi be captured and paraded through the streets of Baghdad naked and locked in a cage, as he is taken to his execution).

The source for this is that ISIS' own Amaq news agency has reported it. If Amaq has done so, then I suspect it is probably real as ISIS stands to lose much more face from such a report than they would gain tactically if it were a ruse to spread confusion.

Also, Will McCants (probably the most knowledgeable Western academic on the subject of ISIS and its predecessor AQI) has tweeted about his death (not confirming it but certainly giving it credence)
You can nitpick individual cases when the Daily Mail was right, but even a broken clock is correct twice a day. There are thousands upon thousands of times these newspapers have purported outright lies and jumping the gun on unconfirmed rumours.

The original source is Amaq, ISIS own news agency. They would have little incentive to report it if it weren't true. Will McCants has also tweeted it which gives it huge credence given his standing and knowledge on the subject of ISIS

For the Islam haters on the student room, don't get too excited until you see it on some respected news sources.

So people who would be happy at the death of Baghdadi are "Islam haters"? What a fascinating statement for you to make; very revealing indeed.
The original source is Amaq, ISIS own news agency. They would have little incentive to report it if it weren't true. Will McCants has also tweeted it which gives it huge credence given his standing and knowledge on the subject of ISIS

So people who would be happy at the death of Baghdadi are "Islam haters"? What a fascinating statement for you to make; very revealing indeed.

Lol this is about the third time he has reportedly been 'killed' and probably the third time it will be refuted.
Lol this is about the third time he has reportedly been 'killed' and probably the third time it will be refuted.

You sound very hopeful that he remains alive.

Tell us more about how you think people who want Baghdadi liquidated are "Islam haters"; that was a fascinating admission from you.
You sound very hopeful that he remains alive.

Tell us more about how you think people who want Baghdadi liquidated are "Islam haters"; that was a fascinating admission from you.

I'm not hopeful, I'm just dismissive of baseless claims which have already been purported twice in the last year or so.
Good news.
Original post by shawn_o1
Even if true this won't stop the countless covert organizations from trying. They will do anything to ensure their shared vision becomes a reality.

If true it would be a significant propaganda blow to ISIS. The caliphate must have a caliph; the interregnum that would follow his death would lead to serious confusion amongst ISIS ranks. It would also cause serious loss of face.
I'm not hopeful, I'm just dismissive of baseless claims which have already been purported twice in the last year or so.

You call the claims baseless and yet you're not even aware of their source. It's quite possible this report is indeed false, but determining that occurs by investigating and assessing the sources, not just waving your hand dismissively and saying "pfft".

It is also clear you do have some kind of emotional abhorrence of Western actions against ISIS, and your characterisation of those who would support such an action as "Islam haters" was probably the most indicative in terms of demonstrating that your dismissal of this story has to do with some kind of psychological attachment to ISIS or hatred of the West than genuine discrimination as to source.
You call the claims baseless and yet you're not even aware of their source. It's quite possible this report is indeed false, but determining that occurs by investigating and assessing the sources, not just waving your hand dismissively and saying "pfft".

It is also clear you do have some kind of emotional abhorrence of Western actions against ISIS, and your characterisation of those who would support such an action as "Islam haters" was probably the most indicative in terms of demonstrating that your dismissal of this story has to do with some kind of psychological attachment to ISIS or hatred of the West than genuine discrimination as to source.

Lol I read this story about 5 hours ago, I'm well aware of their source.

And quit trying to paint me as some kind of ISIS-sympathiser just because I spoke out against your jump-the-gun news reporting.
Lol I read this story about 5 hours ago, I'm well aware of their source.

Of course you did. I believe you :wink:

And quit trying to paint me as some kind of ISIS-sympathiser just because I spoke out against your jump-the-gun news reporting.

What you did was label anyone inclined to be excited by, or supportive of, the prospect of his death as "Islam haters". The question of where your loyalties lie is very clear
Of course you did. I believe you :wink:

What you did was label anyone inclined to be excited by, or supportive of, the prospect of his death as "Islam haters". The question of where your loyalties lie is very clear

No, I just said its too early to jump the gun and celebrate his death when its unconfirmed and also the third time he has reportedly been 'killed' in the last 12 months.

Quick Reply

Latest