The Student Room Group

Maths and Science at A-Level

I was wondering if it be a good idea for me to take;

Maths (Mechanics)
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry

I have nearly completed all of my GCSE exams, and was wondering if I should take these subjects being predicted an A in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

In our school you require an A* to do Further Mathematics, so if I did get an A* in Maths, do you think I should take it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I take the same subjects at the moment for A level. If you enjoy maths, then you will enjoy A-Level maths, some of the concepts are quite difficult but like all A-Level subjects you really ought to enjoy the subject to take it, this is why i presume they want the A*. Further Maths isn't harder in the content, the issue is mainly the fact that it deals with entirely new concepts like imaginary numbers. The real question at the end of the day is which you enjoy most- when you have to spend so much time studying it you really must enjoy the subject.
You may want to look into the optional modules you would take with the Further Maths. Some schools take FP1,2 and 3 where others only take FP1&2, so this edits the number of optionals you would take on top. Dependant on the schools you may take different modules, we had no choice due to the fact there is only 6 in our Further Maths, so we are taking D1, S1&2, M1-3 as our optionals with C1-4 and FP1&2, but someone i know wants to quit as they really do not want to take M1-3. It's all up to personal preference but i would definitely suggest following subjects you enjoy, it will make the next 2 years dramatically easier.
Only take further maths if you want to do maths at uni or engineering at a very high university. You need to look at what you are going to do after uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Vikingninja
Only take further maths if you want to do maths at uni or engineering at a very high university. You need to look at what you are going to do after uni.

And physics too at top universities
Original post by lyamlim97
And physics too at top universities

I was only saying FM because I was saying only in those cases and not others.
Reply 5
Original post by Vikingninja
I was only saying FM because I was saying only in those cases and not others.

What i meant was to take FM if said person wants to do Physics at a top university.

Quick Reply

Latest