The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Chemistry P2

Tips?
Prediction?
Lets get 60./60 together in that paper :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think this paper 2 will be relatively hard compared to the quite easy paper 1.
I think the industrial processes will come up as none of them did in paper 1.

Haber process
contact process
electrolysis
crude oil
faraday calculations
bond energy calculations.

How prepared are you feeling for tomorrow?
Original post by the*man
I think this paper 2 will be relatively hard compared to the quite easy paper 1.
I think the industrial processes will come up as none of them did in paper 1.

Haber process
contact process
electrolysis
crude oil
faraday calculations
bond energy calculations.

How prepared are you feeling for tomorrow?

Gonna practice every june pastpaper from 2013 and onwards (as i did 2011 and 2012 :biggrin:) Hopefull this will boost my confidence.
Feeling quite ready! I agree that the first paper was relatively easy - but I don't think I did that well on it :frown: I prefer hard and straightforward papers as opposed to superficially easy but full of experimental 'suggest' questions! Hopefully this will go a bit better :smile:

How are you guys feeling about Physics on Friday?
Original post by metellaest
Feeling quite ready! I agree that the first paper was relatively easy - but I don't think I did that well on it :frown: I prefer hard and straightforward papers as opposed to superficially easy but full of experimental 'suggest' questions! Hopefully this will go a bit better :smile:

How are you guys feeling about Physics on Friday?

Apart from thinking I might need high 80s or above to salvage the A* grade (and even then it might be impossible) just fantastic :smile: (sarcasm)
Original post by petrus123
Apart from thinking I might need high 80s or above to salvage the A* grade (and even then it might be impossible) just fantastic :smile: (sarcasm)

You mean high 80s on Paper 1? Isn't Paper 2 only out of 60?

I'm sure you did okay - I find the Physics is marked most generously of the three sciences in my opinion :smile: let me know if you're stuck on any topics - I can try and explain anything :smile:

Good luck :smile:
You mean high 80s on Paper 1? Isn't Paper 2 only out of 60?

I'm sure you did okay - I find the Physics is marked most generously of the three sciences in my opinion :smile: let me know if you're stuck on any topics - I can try and explain anything :smile:

Good luck :smile:

I meant %, sorry. The Physics is fine; it's mainly careless mistakes and exam techniques. I'm getting there, but there's not much wriggle-room when you're aiming for 90%+ on a 60-mark paper :frown:

How are you feeling about it?
I meant %, sorry. The Physics is fine; it's mainly careless mistakes and exam techniques. I'm getting there, but there's not much wriggle-room when you're aiming for 90%+ on a 60-mark paper :frown:

How are you feeling about it?

Good on the dual topics - but haven't even begun to look at momentum etc...I also struggle quite a lot with the electromagnetism/electricity stuff :angry:

But I feel okay about Chemistry :smile: I've done enough past papers, so now I'm just going over colours and industrial processes and the things you need to memorise straight out :smile:

High 80s% is definitely clear in the A*! It's normally around 75% right?
Good on the dual topics - but haven't even begun to look at momentum etc...I also struggle quite a lot with the electromagnetism/electricity stuff :angry:

But I feel okay about Chemistry :smile: I've done enough past papers, so now I'm just going over colours and industrial processes and the things you need to memorise straight out :smile:

High 80s% is definitely clear in the A*! It's normally around 75% right?

It's been between 71% and 81%. I'm just scared it will be high and I will have narrowly missed it in 1P, so I need to go above the boundary.

For electromagnetism, if you don't get it, just learn the mark schemes. They ask the same questions again and again. It sounds awful, but it's three days from the exam, so curiosity is not the number 1 priority.

Electromagnetism (2P) Questions:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/6c-magnetism___electromagnetism-electromagnetism.pdf

Electromagnetism (2P) Mark Scheme:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/2p-6c_-_magnetism___electromagnetism_-_electromagnetism.pdf

Electromagnetic Induction (2P) Questions:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/6d-magnetism___electromagnetism-electromagnetic_induction.pdf

Electromagnetic Induction (2P) Mark Scheme:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/2p-6d_-_magnetism___electromagnetism_-_electromagnetic_induction.pdf
It's been between 71% and 81%. I'm just scared it will be high and I will have narrowly missed it in 1P, so I need to go above the boundary.

For electromagnetism, if you don't get it, just learn the mark schemes. They ask the same questions again and again. It sounds awful, but it's three days from the exam, so curiosity is not the number 1 priority.

Electromagnetism (2P) Questions:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/6c-magnetism___electromagnetism-electromagnetism.pdf

Electromagnetism (2P) Mark Scheme:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/2p-6c_-_magnetism___electromagnetism_-_electromagnetism.pdf

Electromagnetic Induction (2P) Questions:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/6d-magnetism___electromagnetism-electromagnetic_induction.pdf

Electromagnetic Induction (2P) Mark Scheme:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/uploads/5/0/8/7/50878855/2p-6d_-_magnetism___electromagnetism_-_electromagnetic_induction.pdf

Thank you so much for the links! That's brilliant :smile: I expect the boundary's likely to be nearer 75% - maybe 77% ish? I'd be surprised if it was as high as 81% - 1P was definitely one of the harder ones compared to most past papers!
Thank you so much for the links! That's brilliant :smile: I expect the boundary's likely to be nearer 75% - maybe 77% ish? I'd be surprised if it was as high as 81% - 1P was definitely one of the harder ones compared to most past papers!

I hope so too. I doubt it will be over 140, but who knows? I have a friend who knows some people who are scholars at Westminster; some of them struggled with the polar bear question. I think I got 3/12 on it - I was rushing it as well... :frown: But hopefully I did OK overall and can get a really high mark in 1P.
I hope so too. I doubt it will be over 140, but who knows? I have a friend who knows some people who are scholars at Westminster; some of them struggled with the polar bear question. I think I got 3/12 on it - I was rushing it as well... :frown: But hopefully I did OK overall and can get a really high mark in 1P.

Hahahaha the polar question :bawling::bricks::bawling: I found it terrible! I reckon, excluding that question, I got high 80s% to mid 90s% on the paper, but probably only 2 or something on it so that's gonna bring my score down... Oh well... All the calculations went well though I think, which is a relief!
Hahahaha the polar question :bawling::bricks::bawling: I found it terrible! I reckon, excluding that question, I got high 80s% to mid 90s% on the paper, but probably only 2 or something on it so that's gonna bring my score down... Oh well... All the calculations went well though I think, which is a relief!

Yeah, although I think I lost some marks for not stating the obvious, for some details I'd forgotten (I never remember learning what the brush did...) and for the *calliper question* :frown:

I tracked around 19 marks (worst case scenario) I lost out of a load of questions. Obviously I probably lost *way* more - those are just the ones I know I lost haha

Also, I went really slowly because normally I finish it in <90 minutes and I didn't want to make stupid mistakes. Then had 30 minutes for a load of subquestions, and 2 or 3 questions... including the polar bear! That was a bad idea...

Anyway, good luck tomorrow.
Reply 13
I think ethanol is going to make an appearance! Always seems to on paper 2 :p:(
Yeah, although I think I lost some marks for not stating the obvious, for some details I'd forgotten (I never remember learning what the brush did...) and for the *calliper question* :frown:

I tracked around 19 marks (worst case scenario) I lost out of a load of questions. Obviously I probably lost *way* more - those are just the ones I know I lost haha

Also, I went really slowly because normally I finish it in <90 minutes and I didn't want to make stupid mistakes. Then had 30 minutes for a load of subquestions, and 2 or 3 questions... including the polar bear! That was a bad idea...

Anyway, good luck tomorrow.

I found the timing harder than normal as well :frown:

Best of luck with the Chemistry!
Original post by fuzz13
I think ethanol is going to make an appearance! Always seems to on paper 2 :p:(

Quite likely - I agree.

And crude oil I expect :smile:

And electrolysis calculations using Faradays.

And moles, surely?
I found the timing harder than normal as well :frown:

Best of luck with the Chemistry!

Thanks - you too :smile:

Although hopefully we're both ready for chem. It's Phys where we should end it with a (metaphorical) bang!
Reply 17
Quite likely - I agree.

And crude oil I expect :smile:

And electrolysis calculations using Faradays.

And moles, surely?

Omg if Faradays come up then I'm screwed :s-smilie: Yeah moles and all that good stuff! I hope it's not too bad though! Good luck with it!
Thanks - you too :smile:

Although hopefully we're both ready for chem. It's Phys where we should end it with a (metaphorical) bang!

Haha hopefully :smile: I'm glad there's a whole day in between to revise it! (Unless you have DT)

Best of luck :h:
Original post by fuzz13
Omg if Faradays come up then I'm screwed :s-smilie: Yeah moles and all that good stuff! I hope it's not too bad though! Good luck with it!

Faradays are just terrible. Sigh. Normally I overcomplicate it and it ends up being quite simple though...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending