The Student Room Group

Titrations! :)

Hi!

Could someone explain to me how you know whether to put the alkali or acid in the burette? :tongue: + Go through why we titrate things? :redface:

Thanks! :h:
Original post by karmacrunch
Hi!

Could someone explain to me how you know whether to put the alkali or acid in the burette? :tongue: + Go through why we titrate things? :redface:

We titrate to find out the concentration of an unknown solution using a solution of konwn concentration.

It does not really matter which you put in the burette, but alkalis tend to be corrosive to glassware particularly if not rinsed out well. The burette tap can get gunged up by residual alkali, so we try to put acids in rather than bases.
Hi!

We titrate to find out the concentration of an unknown solution using a solution of known concentration.

It does not really matter which you put in the burette, but alkalis tend to be corrosive to glassware particularly if not rinsed out well. The burette tap can get gunged up by residual alkali, so we try to put acids in rather than bases.
Original post by charco
We titrate to find out the concentration of an unknown solution using a solution of konwn concentration.

Thank you! + Is the substance with unknown concentration usually in the conical flask or burette? Or does that not matter either? (:
Thank you! + Is the substance with unknown concentration usually in the conical flask or burette? Or does that not matter either? (:

It does not matter - it rather depends on operational issues, such as ease of observation of colour change etc.

Quick Reply

Latest