The Student Room Group

Difference between intermolecular and intramolecular bonds?

Can someone highlight the differences between these and give examples of each please? My teacher said that covalent bonds are the same as intermolecular bonds. Also, what's electrostatic forces of attraction? Thanks
Original post by Perfection Ace
Can someone highlight the differences between these and give examples of each please? My teacher said that covalent bonds are the same as intermolecular bonds. Also, what's electrostatic forces of attraction? Thanks

covalent bonds= intra
intermolecular bonds exist between molecules.
Electrostatic force of a ttraction is the attrreaction between any positively charged particle or ion and a negatively charged particle or ion.
Ahh, thanks bro.
Original post by 1jonam16
covalent bonds= intra
intermolecular bonds exist between molecules.
Electrostatic force of a ttraction is the attrreaction between any positively charged particle or ion and a negatively charged particle or ion.

you realise that intermolecular forces are also electrostatic forces of attraction...
Intermolecular forces consiset of van der Waals' forces, permenant dipole-dipole forces, and H-bonding. Intramolecular forces consist of covalent, ionic, metallic and dative covalent bonding.
Original post by Perfection Ace
Ahh, thanks bro.

No worries
Original post by FutureDietitian
you realise that intermolecular forces are also electrostatic forces of attraction...
Intermolecular forces consiset of van der Waals' forces, permenant dipole-dipole forces, and H-bonding. Intramolecular forces consist of covalent, ionic, metallic and dative covalent bonding.

Yes I do, hence why I said they can exist between particles (intramolecular forces) e.g. electrons and protons, but also between ions or partial ions, e.g. between molecules. (y) And for gcse, we don't need to no about Van der Waal's, nor am i going to confuse him by explaining it.
Yes I do, hence why I said they can exist between particles (intramolecular forces) e.g. electrons and protons, but also between ions or partial ions, e.g. between molecules. (y) And for gcse, we don't need to no about Van der Waal's, nor am i going to confuse him by explaining it.

fair enough. I just hate how oversimplified GCSE science is to the point where it just becomes wrong.
Original post by FutureDietitian
fair enough. I just hate how oversimplified GCSE science is to the point where it just becomes wrong.

Fairs, but realise that if it was complicated many people would fail. I can't wait till we get taught that electrons aren't real, nor are they in single shells!
Fairs, but realise that if it was complicated many people would fail. I can't wait till we get taught that electrons aren't real, nor are they in single shells!

Exactly! The 2,8,8,8,8... thing has got to be most annoying thing though

Quick Reply

Latest