The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 English Language LG4 exam timings?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LauraJoyx
For which section?

Section A and Section B! I know that we need to comment on spontaneous speech for spoken language and formality ect... but never know how to structure then answers.
Reply 21
Original post by amykyffin
Section A and Section B! I know that we need to comment on spontaneous speech for spoken language and formality ect... but never know how to structure then answers.

Section A- introduction: talk about the dates the purpose, the audience of both texts and what I expect to see..any differences or similarities?
1st paragraph - who controls, who speaks more etc
2nd paragraph - tenor, formality
3rd paragraph - non fluency features
4th paragraph - any theories that apply to the texts, eg Grice's Maxims or Lakoff politeness principle.

Section B- Introdutcion: what Tets A, B and C are examples of, I expect to see differences in language because of the different time periods.
Talk about text A - paragraph on tenor, language change and attitudes
Talk about text B - same paragraphs, and links to A
Talk about C - same paragraphs with links across all 3 texts
Conclusion
Section A- introduction: talk about the dates the purpose, the audience of both texts and what I expect to see..any differences or similarities?
1st paragraph - who controls, who speaks more etc
2nd paragraph - tenor, formality
3rd paragraph - non fluency features
4th paragraph - any theories that apply to the texts, eg Grice's Maxims or Lakoff politeness principle.

Section B- Introdutcion: what Tets A, B and C are examples of, I expect to see differences in language because of the different time periods.
Talk about text A - paragraph on tenor, language change and attitudes
Talk about text B - same paragraphs, and links to A
Talk about C - same paragraphs with links across all 3 texts
Conclusion

Thank you so much!! This has helped me loads! :smile:

So talk about tenor, language change and attitudes for Text A, B and C while making comparisons? :smile:

Thanks again! :smile: x
Reply 23
Hello, does anyone have some revision notes for section A? things like theorists, types of texts/transcripts (children's language).

Thanks.
Reply 24
Thank you so much!! This has helped me loads! :smile:

So talk about tenor, language change and attitudes for Text A, B and C while making comparisons? :smile:

Thanks again! :smile: x

Your welcome..well I write about one text's tenor, language change and attitudes, then another's and hen start comparing (that probably doesn't make sense)
I only make links when I talk about texts B and C
Your welcome..well I write about one text's tenor, language change and attitudes, then another's and hen start comparing (that probably doesn't make sense)
I only make links when I talk about texts B and C

No that does make sense! :smile:

How come you only make links between B and C? We're told to do all three x
Reply 26
[QUOTE="amykyffin;65765507"]No that does make sense! :smile:

How come you only make links between B and C? We're told to do all three x[/QUOTE

Yeah I make links between all three, but only when I write about text B. I can't explain it 😂 I write about text A on its own, then text B and make links with A. Then I talk about text C and make links with all texts.
Reply 27
Original post by Jaack97
Hello, does anyone have some revision notes for section A? things like theorists, types of texts/transcripts (children's language).

Thanks.

This is mine
[QUOTE="LauraJoyx;65766579"]
No that does make sense! :smile:

How come you only make links between B and C? We're told to do all three x[/QUOTE

Yeah I make links between all three, but only when I write about text B. I can't explain it 😂 I write about text A on its own, then text B and make links with A. Then I talk about text C and make links with all texts.

Oh yeah I understand what you mean :smile: Thank you for all your help!! Been a life saver haha! :smile: X
On section B, language change, how many points do i have to write in each text? And how many of those should be comparative points? i always struggle to fit all the points in in the time!
Reply 30
[QUOTE="amykyffin;65767649"]

Oh yeah I understand what you mean :smile: Thank you for all your help!! Been a life saver haha! :smile: X

Awh your welcome!! Haha :smile:x
Original post by Jaack97

Thanks.

Hello,

These are some that my teacher sent me :smile: hope they help x
Reply 32
Original post by Shellabear
On section B, language change, how many points do i have to write in each text? And how many of those should be comparative points? i always struggle to fit all the points in in the time!

I struggle with this so much too!! I honestly don't know, but just try to pick the most important ones, which you can talk about the context....eg. Spelling error because Samuel johnson's dictionary was not published yet (things like that)
Original post by Jaack97

Thanks.

Sorry the other files didnt attach because they were too big!

These are the only ones that will attach x
I struggle with this so much too!! I honestly don't know, but just try to pick the most important ones, which you can talk about the context....eg. Spelling error because Samuel johnson's dictionary was not published yet (things like that)

Yeah, i THINK its meant to be about 5 each text with terminology including the comparative points, but i struggle so much to do 5 for three texts! I always run out of time so im going to try and practice it under the timed conditions, is it 45 minutes for each? im so doomed for this exam haha!

Me too! Think everyone is in the same boat if I'm honest!!

These are mock responses my teacher has sent me for reference. They might help you and give you more of an idea of the structure !

The power point also helps as it gives you a way to structure the responses for both sections x
Reply 36
Yeah, i THINK its meant to be about 5 each text with terminology including the comparative points, but i struggle so much to do 5 for three texts! I always run out of time so im going to try and practice it under the timed conditions, is it 45 minutes for each? im so doomed for this exam haha!

I really don't know I've tried doing it in that time and I really struggle with it! Is this for section A or B? I think my teacher said to make about 7 points...but I stil struggle to do that and I think I write too much, so that's why I run out of time
'I would be very wary of trying to do a certain number of points per text as it doesn’t really work like that. To get an A, you need to be aiming to write about 1500 words (5+ sides) and you need to cover each text more or less evenly, using as much terminology as you can cram in there. You should try to make a third of your points comparative and ensure you write about some lang change features on each text – but the majority should address the bullet points in the question. Hope that helps'This is what my teacher just sent me, it helped me so i thought it must help somebody else, he also sent me a lot of sample answers if anyone wants to have a look!
'I would be very wary of trying to do a certain number of points per text as it doesn’t really work like that. To get an A, you need to be aiming to write about 1500 words (5+ sides) and you need to cover each text more or less evenly, using as much terminology as you can cram in there. You should try to make a third of your points comparative and ensure you write about some lang change features on each text – but the majority should address the bullet points in the question.

Ah thats helpful !! The sample answers sound good!? x
Ah thats helpful !! The sample answers sound good!? x

i think ive attached them?

Quick Reply