The Student Room Group

History paper 2 public health revision resource

Scroll to see replies

I'm not familiar with the 12 marks questions nor the structures to any others really. Any help? I wasn't taught this?
Original post by TheNerdxP
I'm not familiar with the 12 marks questions nor the structures to any others really. Any help? I wasn't taught this?

There will not be a twelve mark question but rather a sixteen mark question :biggrin:. All you have to do is explain the sources that agree with the statement and those that do not agree. Mention the reliability of one or two sources for top marks. The conclude your argument i.e. overall I think the sources agree with the statement because...
With regards to the other questions, the marks will vary from six marks to ten marks. Half of your answer will come from analyzing the source. As long as you have the knowledge you will be absolutely fine. I just realized this morning I have to know about the NHS which is not a good start but I reckon I'll be able to do that in half an hour or so.
Back to the point: ALWAYS mention reliability. Even if the question does not ask you to do this, just do it. Something that is even MORE IMPORTANT than reliability is cross referencing the sources. This is why you should NOT begin answering the first question right away. You should take fifteen minutes to read all the sources and note down sources that support each other or sources that contradict each other. This way even from the start of your essay you are cross-referencing which will earn you the top marks. Anyway, I am off to revise now. I hope my answer is of some use to you and good luck with your exam. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

Yeah I got given this by my history teacher, good luck in your exam today :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
There will not be a twelve mark question but rather a sixteen mark question :biggrin:. All you have to do is explain the sources that agree with the statement and those that do not agree. Mention the reliability of one or two sources for top marks. The conclude your argument i.e. overall I think the sources agree with the statement because...
With regards to the other questions, the marks will vary from six marks to ten marks. Half of your answer will come from analyzing the source. As long as you have the knowledge you will be absolutely fine. I just realized this morning I have to know about the NHS which is not a good start but I reckon I'll be able to do that in half an hour or so.
Back to the point: ALWAYS mention reliability. Even if the question does not ask you to do this, just do it. Something that is even MORE IMPORTANT than reliability is cross referencing the sources. This is why you should NOT begin answering the first question right away. You should take fifteen minutes to read all the sources and note down sources that support each other or sources that contradict each other. This way even from the start of your essay you are cross-referencing which will earn you the top marks. Anyway, I am off to revise now. I hope my answer is of some use to you and good luck with your exam. If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask.

If you're doing Public Health 1800-1914 I don't thinkk you need to know NHS because that's past 1914...I wasn't told to anyway! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by hettyshaw
If you're doing Public Health 1800-1914 I don't thinkk you need to know NHS because that's past 1914...I wasn't told to anyway! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yea, NHS is part of the welfare state in 1940s
Reply 6
And good luck for everyone today!!!!!!!
Original post by Jawsomesauce35
Yeah I got given this by my history teacher, good luck in your exam today :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you and likewise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do I know if I'm doing Public Health 1800-1914? I initially thought I didn't need to know about NHS etc but a friend told me otherwise this morning. I'm not sure now. I do OCR...
How do I know if I'm doing Public Health 1800-1914? I initially thought I didn't need to know about NHS etc but a friend told me otherwise this morning. I'm not sure now. I do OCR...

I said 'if': I don't know if you are sorry but that's what this discussion is so I assumed. I'm doing OCR and I don't know for definite but was just trying to save you the worry as my school said we don't need to know about it: if you are indeed for the 1800-1914 it wouldn't make sense for us to need to know it too as it's not in that period, but you may be doing the depth study or something, I'm just doing Paper 2 after Medicine Through Time and Germany. Good luck :smile: and also if you think you should learn NHS I don't want to get it wrong, so probably do if you've been told to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

*Sorry just realised I misread it! It should say specifically on your exam time table which period you're doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
*Sorry just realised I misread it! It should say specifically on your exam time table which period you're doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks very much for your help. I did some research and emailed a teacher and you are correct; I must only know about Public Health from 1800-1914.

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/140126-unit-a955-21-historical-source-investigation-a-study-in-british-history-public-health-in-britain-1800-1914-for-september-2013.pdf

Read the mark scheme. It's basically what you should do in your exam and you'll be guaranteed an A*.
Thanks very much for your help. I did some research and emailed a teacher and you are correct; I must only know about Public Health from 1800-1914.

Thank you for letting me know, I had worried about it too! :smile: good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
good luck everyone! hope you're doing better than i am, exam is in 2 hours and im curled up in bed watching disney and eating nutella out of the jar:biggrin:

Thankyou for your advice :smile: But sugar! I think I messed up on one of the questions. It said the 19th Century and I put the 1900's. Hopefully it would still be okay? I did what source D shows of the time but I also compared it to evidence of 1900's and said it shows how drastic the conditions are without the acts being placed yet?
What do you think? :s-smilie:
What are your thoughts on the paper? I thought the topic was really specific so there wasn't much to write about, I felt like I was repeating myself a couple of times as well. I thought it was okay 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are your thoughts on the paper? I thought the topic was really specific so there wasn't much to write about, I felt like I was repeating myself a couple of times as well. I thought it was okay 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile

The amount of times I said that they hadn't discovered germ theory was phenomenal xD
Thankyou for your advice :smile: But sugar! I think I messed up on one of the questions. It said the 19th Century and I put the 1900's. Hopefully it would still be okay? I did what source D shows of the time but I also compared it to evidence of 1900's and said it shows how drastic the conditions are without the acts being placed yet?
What do you think? :s-smilie:

In all honesty, I think the highest you might get on the question is perhaps if you're lucky eight marks. This is because you were unable to recognise that the time period was referring to the 1800s so you were not really including the things the examiners were looking for. Hopefully you've done brilliantly on all the other questions so you could get an overall A in the paper. This is just my opinion; it may be that really you'll get much higher or lower. I'm sorry about the mistake you made. I used to et confused on that too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought it was the easiest public health paper ever produced. I loved the source questions and the last question was alright! The paper was a hundred times better than paper one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending