The Student Room Group

Should I get STD tested?

I slept with 2 guys last term at uni:
The first one we were seeing each other and weren't using protection as I'm on the pill and he was tested before sleeping with me so he's okay.
The second one we used a condom for sex but not oral (and he didn't *** in me) so I guess there's a very low chance I could catch anything from that but I'm still worried. This guy is from the north and has sleep with a lot of girls, the last time he was tested he was clean but he has slept with others before me since then.

I have absolutely no symptoms at all, I feel healthy and normal. I just am very catious about these things as I'm not normally one to sleep around and my last boyfriend had only ever slept with me. So it's not really something I've ever had to think about until now.

Should you get tested after every person you sleep with?
Do people only get tested if sex was unprotected?
Do people only get tested if they have symptoms?

You should get tested between partners/before sleeping with someone new. You should make sure that they've been tested too.

No, condoms sometimes break or aren't used properly, so you should get tested regardless.

No - especially in women, many STIs don't have any noticeable symptoms.The only way to know is get tested.

It sounds like you are worried about this so for your own piece of mind, go get a test. :smile: It doesn't take long, you just have to answer a few questions and it's a quick swab that you do yourself. You'll feel better having peace of mind. :h:

If you're sleeping with people outside of being in a relationship it's a good idea to always use condoms as you don't know who else they're sleeping with.

It depends. If you're going from one long-term relationship to another, then testing in between means you know your personal status. If you're having multiple casual partners, then you're going to end up with a lot of holes in your arm and it probably makes more sense to test every few months rather than literally after every partner. Many people are somewhere in the middle of those two.

It also depends on the sex you're having. If it has no risk of transmitting / catching anything, then testing is less of an issue. Of course, it's rarely 'no' risk, so the question becomes how much risk is acceptable.

No, although that can obviously increase the chances of catching something.

No. Several things don't have any symptoms.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
You should make sure that they've been tested too.

The problem with this, especially outside a long-term relationship, is that there are people who will say that they've been tested recently enough for the results to be valid when they haven't. Or when they suspect (or know) that they have something.

So relying on this alone is a risk.

it's a quick swab that you do yourself.

For the bacterial infections, usually yes. It's hard to do oral swabs yourself if one of your main risks has been giving oral without a barrier and syphilis and the viral ones usually need a blood sample.

If you're sleeping with people outside of being in a relationship it's a good idea to always use condoms as you don't know who else they're sleeping with.

Yep.
Original post by unprinted
The problem with this, especially outside a long-term relationship, is that there are people who will say that they've been tested recently enough for the results to be valid when they haven't. Or when they suspect (or know) that they have something.

So relying on this alone is a risk.

Yes, you can never be 100% sure.

For the bacterial infections, usually yes. It's hard to do oral swabs yourself if one of your main risks has been giving oral without a barrier and syphilis and the viral ones usually need a blood sample.

I forgot about the blood test :yep: That's not too bad either though.

Quick Reply

Latest