The Student Room Group

What do I choose for my A-Levels?

Hi guys, I'm in Year 11 at the moment and I need to make a decision about my A-Level choices and I keep changing my mind because I have too many options. It's really frustrating ugh.
I enjoy all of my current GCSE subjects, which doesn't make my decision any easier. I am torn between a sciences/maths path and the humanity/arts path - I like them both. Although I enjoy humanity subjects more, there are more prospects and opportunities with maths and science.
At the moment, I am thinking of doing Spanish, History, Maths, and Chemistry. Are those subjects too broad? From a university point of view, would I seem like a helpless person with no direction or clarity? Here are some other options that I have:

- Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish
- Maths, Biology, Chemistry, History
- Maths, Chemistry, Spanish, History
- Maths, Biology, Spanish, History
- Chemistry, Biology, Spanish, History
- Spanish, History, English, Maths

I am apprehensive to fully commit to a humanity path with English, History, Spanish and Maths because I don't know if there are many opportunities in that field where I can still be successful - hence why a lot of my options have sciences and maths in them. Can I still be successful if I choose not to go down the science path? (I am not interested in finance, IT, or physics)
I would really appreciate some advice. At the moment, the options I have told the school are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English but I just don't feel satisfied because part of me really wants to do subjects which are more humanity based. But I really don't know :/
Can anyone help me?

EDIT: Thank you guys I really want to go for Maths, Chemistry, Spanish and History because I love all those subjects and I have decided that a science career is not for me. I think I want to pursue history and languages. But I'm not committing to anything yet!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sanju.0802
Hi guys, I'm in Year 11 at the moment and I need to make a decision about my A-Level choices and I keep changing my mind because I have too many options. It's really frustrating ugh.
I enjoy all of my current GCSE subjects, which doesn't make my decision any easier. I am torn between a sciences/maths path and the humanity/arts path - I like them both. Although I enjoy humanity subjects slightly more, there are more prospects and opportunities with maths and science.
At the moment, I am thinking of doing Spanish, History, Maths, and Chemistry. Are those subjects too broad? From a university point of view, would I seem like a helpless person with no direction or clarity? Here are some other options that I have:

I am apprehensive to fully commit to a humanity path with English, History, Spanish and Maths because I don't know if there are many opportunities in that field where I can still be successful - hence why a lot of my options have sciences and maths in them. Can I still be successful if I choose not to go down the science path? (I am not interested in finance, IT, or physics)
I would really appreciate some advice. At the moment, the options I have told the school are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English but I just don't feel satisfied because part of me really wants to do subjects which are more humanity based. But I really don't know :/
Can anyone help me?

The penultimate decision is just about what you enjoy the most, but if you're looking to go to a top uni for sciences or maths i'd recommend maths+further maths (if further is an option) and chemistry/biology possible (with a 4th of your choice).
It's all about what you are happy to study and where the enthusiasm lies and i see that lies in the humanities for you so i'd incorporate that into your choices
(edited 7 years ago)
I enjoy all of my current GCSE subjects, which doesn't make my decision any easier. I am torn between a sciences/maths path and the humanity/arts path - I like them both. Although I enjoy humanity subjects slightly more, there are more prospects and opportunities with maths and science.

Can anyone help me?

Hello, i am just finishing off my A Levels and I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Computing and History, the latter of which I will study at university with Maths maybe joint. The key is to pick things you like and are good at. These may not be applicable to all your subjects but, realistically speaking, you obviously want to be doing something you can do well in if you put in the work, but also something you enjoy. If you do want to do the split humanity/arts route that is great as it shows you have a versatile skillset and that you can apply yourself to different broad areas. So 3 sciences and a humanity or half and half or whatever is good and healthy. But it is you who must make the final decision. Go with your heart, also make sure you know what the structure of each course is. So how many exams? What weighting are they? How kuch coursework each year, if any? Best of luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by ExamBuddy101
Hello, i am just finishing off my A Levels and I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Computing and History, the latter of which I will study at university with Maths maybe joint. The key is to pick things you like and are good at. These may not be applicable to all your subjects but, realistically speaking, you obviously want to be doing something you can do well in if you put in the work, but also something you enjoy. If you do want to do the split humanity/arts route that is great as it shows you have a versatile skillset and that you can apply yourself to different broad areas. So 3 sciences and a humanity or half and half or whatever is good and healthy. But it is you who must make the final decision. Go with your heart, also make sure you know what the structure of each course is. So how many exams? What weighting are they? How kuch coursework each year, if any? Best of luck!

so if I did one science, one maths, one extended writing, and one language it wouldn't be too random?
Reply 4
so if I did one science, one maths, one extended writing, and one language it wouldn't be too random?

Don't forget about EPQ (Extended Project Qualification) which you can do based on ANYTHING you wish wwhich you get a grade for and can use to boost your UNI application.

Of course not! Maths is one of the natural sciences anyway so if you done (say) Maths, Chemistry, English & Spanish then you're really doing 2 Sciences and 2 Arts/Humanities subjects. Aside from that, it is great to show that you have a diverse skills set. I think people who do all Science or all Arts/Humanities subjects restrict themselves more. Although you may not require a mix for your specific degree course, it is certainly not a disadvantage for you to have best of both worlds. Let us know what you decide in the end up!

Remember: the main thing is make sure you enjoy what you have chosen!
Reply 6
Thank you!! I've decided to do Maths, History, Spanish and Chemistry and I'm going to take Chemistry to AS and the rest to A2. I'm really looking forward to it. Thank you for all your help because it really helped to me to decide xx
Hi, I've also been unable to decide about my A levels. The options I'm thinking about are
- maths - business - economics - biology - psychology

I really want to take maths, I really enjoy it and am a grade A/A* at gcse but I'm not sure if I will be good enough or if I will enjoy the mechanics module?

I currently study business and economics at gcse and am a grade A*, I definitely want to take business at A level but not sure about economics? Also I've heard that it's not good to take both at A level?

Biology I'm a grade A at gcse and I do enjoy biology but I enjoy human biology much more than plants/environment, I'm not sure which is covered at A level? I want to take psychology as it seems really interesting to me but I'm not sure if it is a good subject to take from uni perspective? Also I've been told psychology is seen to be an easy a level?? But should I still take it??

I've been told it's best to take 2 facilitating subjects so that would be maths and biology but I don't know if I enjoy biology enough?
The options I'm thinking are either

-maths - business - biology -psychology
-maths business - psychology -economics
- maths - business - economics - biology

In the future I think I would like to study business e.g business magangement/business analyst or something to do with psychology e.g business psychologist

Any help would be great! Sorry for this being super long!
Original post by SabakuKyuu
Hello! A friend of mine is doing Psychology, she's just finished her AS, and begun her A2 yesterday. She told me that there's quite a lot of biology involved (especially nervous system, the brain, and parts of biochemistry that apply to psychology), so I think you could do that in place of biology, as biology AS involves quite a lot of botany. Also, psychology can be applied to many fields, including business. I would advice you to not take both business and economics - instead, take the one which you enjoy the most. Doing both is seen negatively by most unis. You could do another humanity if you wish; philosophy, history, politics, sociology, english (in any form; lang, lit or combined). I hope I helped :-) xx

That is a great help, thank you!! I think I will take psychology, business, maths and a humanity not biology 😊 Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do both Spanish and maths.

Spanish builds in GCSE and there is a lot more vocab. It can hit you hard at first, but stick with it. It is difficult to achieve top marks in an A level language, however it is very rewarding and satisfying. Plus practical.

Maths is good fun too. Again, challenging and rewarding.

Skips :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest