The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ukrainian Doctor
It is KCN with some acid because you need H+ ions. I do not know where people are getting the idea that it is in ethanolic solution.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You dont need H+ Ions you puppet you arent making a hydroxy nitrile
So I resat this paper (3rd year of A-Levels) and it's safe to say it's been a pointless 3 years considering I won't even get into university now :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by student277
Are there gonna be a2 resit papers ?

lol i think that u cud have to do the new spec
everyone getting 0 or 1 for D and I am sitting here with 1.33
Reply 904
Did anyone put an answer as nucleophillic addition and for another answer nucleophilic addition elimination and also did anyone put 1-chloroethanoylchloride for an answer? Worst exam ever
For the structure i got CH (CH3)2OCH2Ch2Ch2Oh most likely wrong though
Did anybody put for the acyl chloride test the reagent as sodium carbonate and the acyl chloride would produce effervescence of co2??
The orders were 1 and 2 because E increased by 2.25 (1.5^2) and D increased by 1.5.
Reply 908
Original post by Suits101
P was a ketone, so it has no visible change.

Q would also have no visible change with Tollens' so it cannot distinguish them.

wasnt one a haloalkane and the other an acyl chloride???
Original post by thomaarrss
i said to make the ester into sodium ethanoate, you had to add water and h+ catalyst to break it up then naoh, then chromatograpy

I just said NaOH (Aqeuous), I said reflux and heat the mixture, the alc will boil off as it has a lower BP than the salt.
benzene carcinogenic
Original post by Anam
Did anyone put an answer as nucleophillic addition and for another answer nucleophilic addition elimination and also did anyone put 1-chloroethanoylchloride for an answer? Worst exam ever

Yes, i put nucleophilic addition and also got the same name as you.
Original post by lukesta23
You dont need H+ Ions you puppet you arent making a hydroxy nitrile

Edit: oops, misread your comment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by FireBLue97
100% its 0 cant be 1

Nah mate its 1
Original post by student277
Are there gonna be a2 resit papers ?

Yeah
Original post by Suits101
P was a ketone, so it has no visible change.

Q would also have no visible change with Tollens' so it cannot distinguish them.

Dammit, well at least I know now I guess!
Original post by Anam

It would be 2-chloroethanoylchloride.
For the first two equations did you guys use an equilibrium sign?!?!?!?!?!?!!??
Original post by j.ethers
Ok so for the last question we know it has to be a primary/secondary alcohol because of the dichromate reaction, but the O-H nmr peak was a singlet, suggesting the adjacent carbon to the alcohol group is itself bonded to no hydrogens. Therefore how can it be a primary or secondary alcohol??

O-H peaks are always singlet as it counts protons attached to the O not the nearest C :smile:
Original post by SirRaza97
everyone getting 0 or 1 for D and I am sitting here with 1.33

My friend did!

But it says on spec that orders are 0,1,2 only.

Original post by Anam

Yes for all except last one.

C=O takes priority so you count from this carbon, hence it should be (I think) 2-chloroethanoyl chloride

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending