The Student Room Group

Aqa chem 4/ chem 5 june 2016 thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JK11
wasnt one a haloalkane and the other an acyl chloride???

It had 2 functional groups within one compound so I'm guessing both would be correct
Reply 961
What was everyones equation for the fragmentation question? I put 35 next to the cl in the fragment ion and 37 next to the cl radical is that right?
Could you use gas liquid chromatography to separate the alcohol?
Original post by mickel_w
gonna need them to be a bit lower than that son :^)

Yehh second that
Original post by Adami97
No amount of luck could help anyone in that exam! I actually want to cry 😰

This became very clear to me while struggling to complete the worst paper in existence....which explains my post after the exam.. :wink:

Spoiler

Original post by Boundless_x
That went well....

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Matt0Schaffer
No because that is a tertiary alcohol which won't turn Acidified Potassium Dichromate green.

Yeah i realised as i posted it but thought no one would notice aha >_< then i have no idea because that was the only thing that checked with the data they gave us >_<
Original post by 6548412
Guys for distinguishing between the acyl chloride and haloalkane put ethanol and white misty fumes for acyl chloride is this right

I think it was AgNO3 and a white ppt of AgCl formed with the acyl chloride
Original post by Anam
What was everyones equation for the fragmentation question? I put 35 next to the cl in the fragment ion and 37 next to the cl radical is that right?

I just drew an arrow to each Cl and then put Cl-35 on one and Cl-37 on the other.
Original post by SirRaza97
No I don't think so, feelsbadman

i think acyl chloride form ppt while haloalkane doesn't..?
Original post by clarkey500
1) I think I got that; I think!
2) Your name is H Clarke - so is mine! :ahee:

Hahahahaha xD I'd laugh if we both get exactly the same amount of marks on that paper as well
Original post by Anam
Did anyone put an answer as nucleophillic addition and for another answer nucleophilic addition elimination and also did anyone put 1-chloroethanoylchloride for an answer? Worst exam ever

I remember getting all 3 of these
112 molecular ion
Cocl 37 +16 ~+12= 65 as asked
Could the last question be CH3-O-CH2-C(CH3)2-CH2OH???
Original post by Anam

no next to the carbon it come from
Original post by emma_1111
Could you use gas liquid chromatography to separate the alcohol?

I put column :frown:
Original post by FireBLue97
Hydrogen bonding between O and N????????? NH OH etc.

Yup.

Original post by Anam

You need to know that from [RCOR']+* the most stable fragment is [RCO]+

This can then be applied to the question with acid (acyl) chlorides because they contain C=O

So I did [ClCH2COCl]+* -> [COCl]+ (this added to 65, can't remember is 35/37 Cl) + [ClCH2]*

Where * is a radical
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DexterMabel

same
Original post by DexterMabel

Nucleophilic substitution CL replaced by NHR . 1 mark
Original post by Hclarke9
Hahahahaha xD I'd laugh if we both get exactly the same amount of marks on that paper as well

I'll follow you so I can keep in touch!
Your name isn't Harry is it?
The polyester polymer was stronger due to permanent dipole-dipole being a stronger IMF between chains than the polypropene's VDW forces - which is why it is better for stitches.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending