The Student Room Group

A2 - Edexcel Psychology June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sall1997
does anyone know if it would be fine to talk about qualitative/quantitative data as opposed to primary/secondary data on that question on clinical for 6 marks, which asked for different types of data researchers used and to evaluate it

I thought the question explicitly stated primary and secondary data?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 821
Describe social norms, evaluate social norms, describe 2 symptoms of schizophrenia which would fit this definition, evaluate an explanation for your chosen disorder, data question and evaluate, describe a study you have learnt about and evaluate the main RM.the 12 marker was d+e either TEP or SD, comparing with a psychodynamic treatment.

I+D - describe a contribution, evaluate it in terms of its usefulness, plan a content analysis, choose two reasons why psych is a science, explain the bio and social scientific status, arguing if bio is more scientific, and then the 18 marker :smile:
Original post by Rsprcy
Describe social norms definition (4)
Evaluate social norms definition (5)
Describe 2 symptoms of schizophrenia that may be considered abnormal under this definition (4)

Evaluate the use of primary and secondary source data (5)
Evaluate one explanation for unipolar depression and compare with another explanation using research evidence (6)

Describe the procedure of a study from clinical (4)
Evaluate the research method used by the study (5)

Describe and Evaluate TEP to treat mental disorders. In your evaluation compare it with a treatment from the psychodynamic approach (12)

Discuss one contribution from Unit 3 (2)
Evaluate the contribution in terms of usefulness, using research evidence(4)

Outline 2 features that make psychology scientific (2)
Using research evidence, Explain how the biological approach can be considered more scientific than the social approach (6)
Evaluate 2 studies which used different research methods and discuss how they are scientific (4)

Plan a content analysis (9)

Ethnocentrism or something about soldiers/officers using concepts idk (18)

Thanks so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Julieplec
I thought the question explicitly stated primary and secondary data?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i can't remember exactly what it said, but i didn't read it properly as usual =/. I asked most of my classmates and some point primary/secondary data but some did qualitative/quantitative
Reply 824
I believe the primary and secondary data one was out of 6, other than that, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

it was something like that anyway- tbh i don't even think they all add up to 90 it's just rough
I'm just relieved ethnocentrism came up, though I don't think I wrote enough for 18marks due to timing :s-smilie:
Original post by Jgermaney97
Deffo got 100% on both papers add this to my 100% last year I will have 400 UMS

?? You never know until you got the real marks.
Hey guys

Just a quick question. I know u have to get 90% in your a2 units to get an A* but does anyone know if this still stands with an 85% in one unit and a 95% in another?

Thank you!
Yep and include research evidence

I did SLT
Supported by gorresz, meta analysis of 25 studies found body ideal in western culture portrayed as slim, contradicted by Mumford and white house who found no difference on bsq scores between Asian girls and white British girls
Supported by fearne in Fiji who found western television increased incidence of anorexia
Strong face validity - explains why many western women have difficulties with dieting and exercising obsessively
Underplays cognitive aspect - faulty perception of body image, brain distorts image
Cognitive explanation explains why behaviour continues despite behaviour not being reinforced whereas SLT does not
Cognitive approach focuses on nature, SLT focuses on nurture

I hope I get at least 4/6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think i coild get some credit if i wrote about Holland?
Original post by darkskies
Hey guys

Just a quick question. I know u have to get 90% in your a2 units to get an A* but does anyone know if this still stands with an 85% in one unit and a 95% in another?

Thank you!

If the 95% is in the unit that is worth more (e.g. psychology unit 4 is worth 60% and unit 3 is worth 40%) it should be okay? But don't take my word for it!! :smile:
Original post by Rsprcy
Describe social norms definition (4)
Evaluate social norms definition (5)
Describe 2 symptoms of schizophrenia that may be considered abnormal under this definition (4)

Evaluate the use of primary and secondary source data (5)
Evaluate one explanation for unipolar depression and compare with another explanation using research evidence (6)

Describe the procedure of a study from clinical (4)
Evaluate the research method used by the study (5)

Describe and Evaluate TEP to treat mental disorders. In your evaluation compare it with a treatment from the psychodynamic approach (12)

Discuss one contribution from Unit 3 (2)
Evaluate the contribution in terms of usefulness, using research evidence(4)

Outline 2 features that make psychology scientific (2)
Using research evidence, Explain how the biological approach can be considered more scientific than the social approach (6)
Evaluate 2 studies which used different research methods and discuss how they are scientific (4)

Plan a content analysis (9)

Ethnocentrism or something about soldiers/officers using concepts idk (18)

Do you have a mark scheme?
Reply 831
Original post by thelizzister
I'm just relieved ethnocentrism came up, though I don't think I wrote enough for 18marks due to timing :s-smilie:

If you wrote enough for a 12 marker then you should be fine, the extra 6 marks are for structure and grammar
Original post by Lillah
If you wrote enough for a 12 marker then you should be fine, the extra 6 marks are for structure and grammar

No longer sure if its even 12 mark worthy, it was 3 big points and a definition of ethnocentrism, do you think that would be enough ?
Reply 833
Original post by nusrat_r
Do you have a mark scheme?

nah, that's just from my memory sorry mate
Original post by keyadeb
Thank you, you clarified everything :smile:
Also, do you think that examiners would reward marks even if i didn't outline the disorder on the evaluation qs?
i did not see a blank space for disorder

I think they might, especially if it's obvious which disorder.
For 9b - is saying the programmes should include SLT and how they can have a role model who does similar behaviours and not get punished or receive a reward and then evaluate this with Bandura's study showing we copy those we can relate to but then evaluate this piece of evidence further saying the study was only on 3-6yr olds so not generalisable to soldiers correct?
Also is using SIT correct? How we can be split into groups and set tasks that involve competing against each other meaning we become competitive and want to beat the other group making soldiers better. Then evaluating this with how Sherif found we work together when there's a subordinate goal and against each other when in competition. Evaluate this further with how they were all boys but there were girls in the army who may not behave similarly?
Reply 836
Original post by thelizzister
No longer sure if its even 12 mark worthy, it was 3 big points and a definition of ethnocentrism, do you think that would be enough ?

It really depends on what you managed to write in those three points
For the question regarding the description of a procedure of a study used in clinical, i did becker et al (2002). But for the following question which asked to evaluate the research method used, i chose interview method. Anyone knows if this is correct? Although it is predominantly a natural experiment, but I was also pretty certain that becker et al did use semi-structured interview to gather data about self attitude towards body imagery.
Original post by Sall1997
i can't remember exactly what it said, but i didn't read it properly as usual =/. I asked most of my classmates and some point primary/secondary data but some did qualitative/quantitative

yeah it didnt explicitly say. The question said the psychologists use hospital records. Explain the different types of data psychologists use and evaluate. Something like that. I'm really unsure about whether you'll get the marks for that because that was the clinical section and in the spec, it's primary and secondary data we learnt about. It's not the synoptic section so you know
That was dreadful for me :frown: I reckon I got ~60, gona get a B overall I can see it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending