The Student Room Group

Official Thread: OCR MEI S2/M1

Whos looking forward to these....

Resources:

Formulae Booklet
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/pdf/formula_book_mf2.pdf

S2 90/100 UMS Grade Boundries from 2005-15 - v v small margin of error :/
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h2Nt6g7kCZRGUmpcSVk3UdnqC4l21BhoyG6ROxhlSwQ/edit?usp=sharing

90/100 UMS Grade Boundries for all other Modules (Including M1)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jK6CCFIjvKKsKv3-Vxucc0B5XX9sSgQWBEnxg-Wlzfk/edit?usp=sharing

Good luck guys!

...if anyone has any extra resources could they comment and ill link em on here!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Got 55/72 on last year's paper, 60 UMS! Really not good grade boundaries, however I didn't do well in my other two further exams so if I worked harder my S2 may have been 60+
Not looking forward to these
Do we use ns^2/n-1 to estimate the population variance where s^2 is the sample variance or do we just use the sample variance as an estimate for the population variance?

(assuming the sample is large)
Reply 4
When using the normal distribuion do we take the value to 3dp or 4dp by interpolation. Im so confused any help would be appreciated. Like I saw on the 2009 Jan paper that they used something to 4dp like P(0.2345) instead of P(0.235). How??? Our tables only accurately go up to 3dp surely
Reply 5
Looking forward to these! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by Quido
Looking forward to these! :biggrin:

What dp do you quote in the normal distribution cos our tables only go to 3dp
Reply 7
Original post by 11234
What dp do you quote in the normal distribution cos our tables only go to 3dp

You go to 3 dp most of the time. I think there are some exceptions but you probably wont get marked down. For example, if I get a z value of 0.2945, I would do the mean of 4 and 5 in the 'add' column. So it would be 0.6141 + (0.0015+0.0019)/2. The final answer would be 0.6158.
Reply 8
Original post by Quido
You go to 3 dp most of the time. I think there are some exceptions but you probably wont get marked down. For example, if I get a z value of 0.2945, I would do the mean of 4 and 5 in the 'add' column. So it would be 0.6141 + (0.0015+0.0019)/2. The final answer would be 0.6158.

Would they accept phi(0.295)
is there a general rule on how many significant figures / decimal places to go to? In the examiner's reports they talk about people over-specifying answers but I can't see any pattern in how many significant figures they use in mark schemes.
Reply 10
Original post by 11234

I'm guessing they would because the tables only go to 3 dp so the number you put it should be the same, that makes logical sense to me.
Reply 11
Could someone explain how to do a question which asks to find a and b in:
P (a < X < b)=0.9 for example?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by 11234

They accept 3dp, and say if 3dp was .214 and youve put 0.2145 to 4sf, they would accept. I noticed this in the June 10 paper I think, so you shouldnt worry about that. In terms of poission or normal distrib, i would out answer to 4dp to be safe, as ive not been told its wrong while sometimes using less could be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by zirak46

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah could someone explain this please
Original post by zirak46

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by G2S
Yeah could someone explain this please

There are many approaches, but here's how I do these:

Since we need to find a range (a<x<b) such that 90% (p=0.9) of the data points fit within that range, I like to go for a symmetrical range.

Therefore the range from p=0.05 to p=0.95
In this range, 90% of the data is here.

Therefore, we have two things to solve:
1) P( x < a) = 0.05 (we want to find the value of a for which only 5% of the data is under it)
Solving this is pretty simple, simply being:
P( z < [a-mean]/s.d) = 0.05
And therefore [a-mean]/s.d = inverse-phi(0.05)
= -inverse-phi(0.95)
= -1.645
Then you can just solve a, since you would've been given the mean and the standard deviation in the question

2) P(x > b) = 0.05 (we want to find the value of b for which only 5% of the data is over it)
Solve the same as normal.

This will give two values (a and b) such that they collectively contain 90% (0.9) of the data. So say for example we get a = 135 and b=165
It would be true that P(135 < x < 165) = 0.9
Therefore 90% of the data is between 135 and 165

Hope this helped!
Original post by klosovic
is there a general rule on how many significant figures / decimal places to go to? In the examiner's reports they talk about people over-specifying answers but I can't see any pattern in how many significant figures they use in mark schemes.

Do probabilities to 4.d.p and other values to 3 or 4 significant figures depending on the value.

For example 0.487548375384 should be 0.4875
125.3258 should be 125.3
83.2142352 should be 83.2 or 83.21 depending on which you prefer, both get the marks.

Just never go beyond 4 s.f for solutions. However remember to never use rounded values in your calculations.
Original post by klosovic
Do we use ns^2/n-1 to estimate the population variance where s^2 is the sample variance or do we just use the sample variance as an estimate for the population variance?

(assuming the sample is large)

Use the sample variance as an estimate for the population variance unless given extra info or instructions otherwise.
Reply 17
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Use the sample variance as an estimate for the population variance unless given extra info or instructions otherwise.

Whats this for and is it in s2
Original post by 11234
Whats this for and is it in s2

Yes, it's for when you use sample data to test on a population. Just go through past papers and search for "population varience" and you'll find some examples :smile:
Reply 19
When using the normal tables with a z value to 4+ significant figures do you guys take an average from the 'add' column since my values always seem to be 1 out in the 4th decimal place but we were never taught to take an average.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending