The Student Room Group

The finance sector is sexist!!!! Attention

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quiton
Please read carefully, I am suggesting some females are not willing to pursue jobs in certain sectors as they feel they are disadvantaged and not treated equally. THE WOMAN HERSELF FEELS THAT, NOT ME! AND PLEASE READ AGAIN, I WROTE CERTAIN PORTIONS, NOT ALL FEMALES. It is just as simple as for example, when your girlfriend dumped you , you feel discouraged to pursue a new relationship and you feel sad (it may not be the reality as you might have done something that cause the break up,according to you), others have no rights to say the reason she dumped you is because you are weak/timid/coward/any other adjectives and hence you deserve to be dumped? I am saying we should respect everyone for how they feel towards jobs seeking, instead of labelling them as weak. I will never generalise people are weak when they are unemployed because they may be millionaires retiring at age of 30 and have no ways to spend their wealth!

PS: your assumptions are quite dramatic, and I did not mention any economic aspect of employing woman, please stop putting words in my arguments. And I said SOME females, CERTAIN PORTIONS, check oxford dictionary:
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/some_1?q=SOME
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/certain_1?
http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/portion_1?q=PORTIONq=CERTAIN

You really dont understand how to argue
Original post by Quiton
Fair comment. We never know the real intentions of those companies but overall it is a positive thing isn't it! If the company is hosting 'anti-male in business' then it is immoral and sexist!

thats true! I think it is good to have things set up to encourage females, but not to put down males or vice versa!
Reply 42
Original post by J-SP
Because women are not applying! They are put off by either perceptions that they won't fit in to the culture of a finance organisation (because they are dominated by white, privately educated, men), or by the reality that they don't want to work for an organisation that isn't very inclusive for women.

I really wish programmes like this, as well as those for social mobility, ethnicity and disability didn't have to exist. But from my experience they are a vital way to attract and inform potential future talent, so they will apply in the future.

People are ultimately drawn to people who are like them, and if you have a skew in your demographics already (like an over-representation of white, privately educated men), then you are more likely to just continue the over-represented group. That over-represented group will be over-represented at university campus events, they will over-represent the number of referrals/recommendations to the company, meaning they will get more applications from people like them. It becomes a bit of a vicious circle.

I think this is my main problem with this side of the argument. I've never understood the concept of not doing something because your under-represented in that area. It seems to me that if your so easilly put off then you need to seriously reconsider how you do things.
Reply 43
I don't understand what da*** you are saying 'a gender stop you.' You got dump by your girlfriend not because you are a male, same in here! Female feels upset with working environment due to past experience/dilemma/social stigma, not because they are females. LOL are you a sexist.

Original post by KnightCode
yeah, but some people are saying females would feel unmotivated and uncomfortable to work in a male majority job....

but then again. if you were REALLY were passionate about the job, why would u let a gender stop you?

get a stronger mentality.
yeah, but some people are saying females would feel unmotivated and uncomfortable to work in a male majority job....

but then again. if you were REALLY were passionate about the job, why would u let a gender stop you?

get a stronger mentality.

get a stronger mentality? lol
Im a female and like i said above, i do think it is good to have things set up to encourage females (or males!) to go into fields where there aren't many females (or males). Of course, if someone is passionate about something, lets say finance in this situation, then it would be silly for them not to do it. However, i think we're past that stage of 'thats not socially acceptable, i will choose a different job' (with exceptions), and i think companies setting up programmes to encourage females dont have the goal of making females more comfortable (that too of course) but generally getting more females in the finance sector. This isn't discriminating men. This is merely creating more options, so i might see an advert etc one day and be like 'Oh, i would never usually consider finance. But I like the sound of it' and thus increase my interest. THIS IS MY OPINION.
Original post by J-SP
Say it isn't a case of being put off, say it is a case of actually you are just not aware that you could be an exceptional employee and success in that industry, because no one has ever really encouraged you to think about it in the first place. Then you might understand why these initiatives exist.

If you are a fortunate person to have worked out what you want to do early on, and/or have had the support from others to encourage you to pursue a career, then you won't be put off easily. But for the vast majority of potential untapped talent out there, they haven't been that fortunate and therefore need the encouragement to consider the career in the first place.

that is exactly my point too :smile:))
Reply 46
Because such incidents never happened to you or your relatives/friends, you won't feel uncomfortable enough to consider that. If something makes you feel uncomfortable, uneasy enough to stop you from pursuing, think about how serious and severe the incidents are about?

Original post by KRin
I think this is my main problem with this side of the argument. I've never understood the concept of not doing something because your under-represented in that area. It seems to me that if your so easilly put off then you need to seriously reconsider how you do things.
Perhaps the entire business exists to counteract the apparent discrimination in the hiring process of men/women?

Can't discriminate the women out if it's only women. Likewise for minorities (although you could argue about choosing the "least objectionable" minority).
Reply 48
According to you, People don't seek jobs are considered weak, people like you who think wage discrimination does not exist is too naive and narrow-minded.

Original post by banterboy
You really dont understand how to argue
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by Quiton
Because such incidents never happened to you or your relatives/friends, you won't feel uncomfortable enough to consider that. If something makes you feel uncomfortable, uneasy enough to stop you from pursuing, think about how serious and severe the incidents are about?

For example,
If you like to keep your windows open while on the newspaper showing windows left opened let thieves have a chance to rob/rape/sabotage etc the houses/ people in the house, I am sure according to your mentality, you will not be put off to leave your windows open. Until your house actually get sabotaged and robbed.

Do you have an example that actually relates to the subject at hand? Of course I would close my windows, because there's an increased chance of being robbed. Last I checked, working in a male dominated industry didn't have such potentially dangerous outcomes.
Original post by Rainbowcorn
get a stronger mentality? lol
Im a female and like i said above, i do think it is good to have things set up to encourage females (or males!) to go into fields where there aren't many females (or males). Of course, if someone is passionate about something, lets say finance in this situation, then it would be silly for them not to do it. However, i think we're past that stage of 'thats not socially acceptable, i will choose a different job' (with exceptions), and i think companies setting up programmes to encourage females dont have the goal of making females more comfortable (that too of course) but generally getting more females in the finance sector. This isn't discriminating men. This is merely creating more options, so i might see an advert etc one day and be like 'Oh, i would never usually consider finance. But I like the sound of it' and thus increase my interest. THIS IS MY OPINION.

I agree with you but it isn't fair to provide more opportunity to one gender than the other. Like i said previously there was two opportunity in sixth form to get some experience with computing but that's only for females.I'm not against it but it does affect men. For example, i could had a great experience, place it in my CV that i worked for this big computer company, land myself a university place and make even a job.

I already have to compete with other males for a job but a female can't compete? and has more of a chance.
It is stupid to recruit a female just to fill up ur gender quota for the year. Just recruit skilled people and that's all.

I'm pretty sure you would be angry if the job your passionate about got taken by a Gay Mexican cause their a minority and we need to hire more LGBT to increase diversity and seem like a better company, even though that person may be stupider or on the same level as you. The fact their a minority gives them a job.
Reply 51
Failure stops people from pursuing things at some point, both females and males. Males tend not to admit their weaknesses and failures, they like to hide it, but that does not mean they don't feel discouraged at the same time for applying certain things?

Original post by J-SP
It doesn't have to be anything "severe".

It could just be the fact that someone you respect or trust has told you that you are not well suited, or worse not good enough, to pursue that career.

Or it could be that someone, whose judgement or opinion you trust, has told you the wrong information and that has stopped you from pursuing something.
I agree with you but it isn't fair to provide more opportunity to one gender than the other. Like i said previously there was two opportunity in sixth form to get some experience with computing but that's only for females.I'm not against it but it does affect men. For example, i could had a great experience, place it in my CV that i worked for this big computer company, land myself a university place and make even a job.

I already have to compete with other males for a job but a female can't compete? and has more of a chance.
It is stupid to recruit a female just to fill up ur gender quota for the year. Just recruit skilled people and that's all.

I'm pretty sure you would be angry if the job your passionate about got taken by a Gay Mexican cause their a minority and we need to hire more LGBT to increase diversity and seem like a better company, even though that person may be stupider or on the same level as you. The fact their a minority gives them a job.

You are of course assuming that the competition isn't rigged in favour of men in the first place. If that were the case I would agree this is unreasonable, but as it isn't, I have no issue with it.
Reply 53
Those prestigious company only allows candidate to apply for ONE internship/job per year/term. The difference between normal schemes and woman in business is, female can choose to work in an environment with both males and females, OR with female leaders. If A (female) applied for Normal, she cannot apply for woman in business. Equal opportunities, and do some research.

(edited 7 years ago)
You just have to get used to it, feminism has made the world replace logic with gullibility and emotion.

We have to just accept it.

You only have to compare University admission statistics to see the issue.

A much higher percentage of female applicants get a place than the percentage of male applicants that get accepted.

It's frankly disgusting that filling a quota is more important than picking candidates based purely on credentials.

i completely understand you, i think if it happens one way it should happen the other way, however in the finance sector, it is a fact that there are more men, thus men don't NEED more encouragement, but women DO. however, in languages for example, or subjects/careers which are already more female driven, there should be encouragement to help men to get into that field, and vice versa
Original post by Quiton
People don't seek jobs are considered weak, people like you who think wage discrimination does not exist is too naive and narrow-minded.

Ahahaha please tell me you don't think the wage gap is real? :lol:

I'm going to enjoy this one
Original post by Elivercury
You are of course assuming that the competition isn't rigged in favour of men in the first place. If that were the case I would agree this is unreasonable, but as it isn't, I have no issue with it.

Enlighten me how it is rigged for men?
i completely understand you, i think if it happens one way it should happen the other way, however in the finance sector, it is a fact that there are more men, thus men don't NEED more encouragement, but women DO. however, in languages for example, or subjects/careers which are already more female driven, there should be encouragement to help men to get into that field, and vice versa

I still disagree.

Why are we encouraging people to work in a different field? Why cannot people just work in this field they want to?

I remember going to my sixth form open day, and we were faced with 2 huge posters, saying (and I quote as I have a pic of it xD)
1) "Are you female? You may wish to consider these subjects: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing, Biology, Further Maths"
2) "Are you male? You may wish to consider these subjects: Art, Sociology, Media Studies, Fashion Textiles, English, History, Classics"

Why is there a campaign? That is clearly not the common interest. There was constantly teachers from the girl-dominated classes coming over to us guys and offering their course.

Sorry but we should not be forcing people to study somewhere, it should be equal opportunity for all. Simple as.

Thanks for being understand! , yep. I'm up for encouragement, just not gender quota that is demanded xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending