The Student Room Group

Latest You Gov poll shows 7% majority for Leave

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
So....then how can you expect Nissan or any other company to stay if their products are subject to tariffs?

Well, again, there isn't any evidence of the EU breaking up. The core countries will most likely increase their ties in any case to prevent another disaster like Brexit.

You are literally hoping that complete disaster happens on the continent, so that companies won't leave.

1. Because their CEO said that they would remain in UK regardless out outcome. They would probably just take a hit is less profits.

2. EU breaking up look at unfavourables: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/euroscepticism-on-the-rise-across-europe-as-analysis-finds-increasing-opposition-to-the-eu-in-france-a7069766.html
Reply 201
Original post by DorianGrayism
So....then how can you expect Nissan or any other company to stay if their products are subject to tariffs?

Well, again, there isn't any evidence of the EU breaking up. The core countries will most likely increase their ties in any case to prevent another disaster like Brexit.

You are literally hoping that complete disaster happens on the continent, so that companies won't leave.

Don't bother with the EU breaking up point he makes. It's totally absurd to think that a total EU breakup wouldn't have a massive impact on the UK's finances and the entire European economy. If it ever reaches that stage, whether or not businesses want to stay in the UK would probably be the least of our worries.
Original post by Axion
Don't bother with the EU breaking up point he makes. It's totally absurd to think that a total EU breakup wouldn't have a massive impact on the UK's finances and the entire European economy. If it ever reaches that stage, whether or not businesses want to stay in the UK would probably be the least of our worries.

I said the risk of EU breaking up will halt plans for firms relocating to Europe immediately. Not that it would have no impact on UK.
Original post by Sun_Bear
1. Because their CEO said that they would remain in UK regardless out outcome. They would probably just take a hit is less profits.

2. EU breaking up look at unfavourables: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/euroscepticism-on-the-rise-across-europe-as-analysis-finds-increasing-opposition-to-the-eu-in-france-a7069766.html

1. Wait...so you believe a CEO when he says that they will stay but not when they say they will leave?

The Nissan executive didn't commit to anything.

“If anything has to change, we [would] need to reconsider our strategy and our investments for the future,”

Meaningless Corp speak.

2. I already know people are more euroscpetic. That doesn't mean that Politicians on the continent are going to be as stupid as Cameron and grant a referendum.
Reply 204
Original post by Sun_Bear
I said the risk of EU breaking up will halt plans for firms relocating to Europe immediately. Not that it would have no impact on UK.

Yes but the underlying impact is about the end result for the UK. An EU breakup would be damaging then, on potentially 2 fronts. 'A' if they move out, and 'B' if the EU breaks up.

Not to mention the risk of credit rating downgrades that Moody's and other ratings agencies have mentioned, pushing up the cost of credit for major domestic companies.
Original post by XcitingStuart
we are the biggest export market for goods for the rest of the EU.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well that is false. The French and the Germans import more within the EU.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/tgm/refreshTableAction.do?tab=table&plugin=1&pcode=tet00039&language=en

All of a sudden running account deficits leave countries in a position of power. Someone better tell the Germans and the Chinese.
(edited 7 years ago)
The bookies have been narrowing the Brexit odds significantly. Still in favour of Remain but the trend looks bad for them.

1465920432472.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Axion
Yes but the underlying impact is about the end result for the UK. An EU breakup would be damaging then, on potentially 2 fronts. 'A' if they move out, and 'B' if the EU breaks up.

Not to mention the risk of credit rating downgrades that Moody's and other ratings agencies have mentioned, pushing up the cost of credit for major domestic companies.

Tbh i think the best situation would be that the EU kicks out all the countries which are fuelled with subsidies and just focused on a core elite ie France,UK, Germany etc. I think it has got too big and is over extending the purpose it was built for. Although is a bit late to change that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Is the result of this referendum legally binding and what kind of a time frame would a Brexit have?
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Lmao the biggest reach I have ever seen

Ha ha ha!

I got carried away, maybe. The prospect of Brexit is so wonderful and exciting.

To use another historical analogy it makes me feel like we, the Brexit sans culottes, are preparing to storm the EU Bastille. :h:

Taking Cameron and Osborne out and sticking swords through them as they cower in fear. Watching Merkel and Juncker running out of the back of the prison, shedding their warder's uniforms in fear.

Is not the prospect delicious? :colone:

What did Wordsworth say about the French Revolution?

"Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,
But to be young was very heaven!--Oh! times,
In which the meagre, stale, forbidding ways
Of custom, law, and statute, took at once
The attraction of a country in romance!"
Original post by dozyrosie
Is the result of this referendum legally binding and what kind of a time frame would a Brexit have?

Nope, members of parliament can still block it.

It will be 2 years until we break away because of negotiations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by generallee
Ha ha ha!

I got carried away, maybe. The prospect of Brexit is so wonderful and exciting.

To use another historical analogy it makes me feel like we, the Brexit sans culottes, are preparing to storm the EU Bastille. :h:

Taking Cameron and Osborne out and sticking swords through them as they cower in fear. Watching Merkel and Juncker running out of the back of the prison, shedding their warder's uniforms in fear.

Is not the prospect delicious? :colone:

What did Wordsworth say about the French Revolution?

"Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive,
But to be young was very heaven!--Oh! times,
In which the meagre, stale, forbidding ways
Of custom, law, and statute, took at once
The attraction of a country in romance!"

I feel like both analogies you've used involve wildly different circumstances to that of the EU
Original post by dozyrosie

I don't know about legally binding, it is morally binding.

When we invoke Article 50 we have two years till we exit. But we don't have to immediately invoke it. Since the situation will be chaotic now doubt there will be a delay. Perhaps quite a significant one.

Cameron needs to be deposed first. :smile:
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I feel like both analogies you've used involve wildly different circumstances to that of the EU

Surely not?
Reply 214
I cant take this seriously . Still think we will remain
Reply 215
Original post by CLGC98
I cant take this seriously . Still think we will remain

I 100% agree with you
Surely not?

Post 1066 involved feudalism and ruling by birthright and such, which is entirely incomparable to whatever the hell the EU is.

The circumstances causing the French Revolution are also pretty different to the circumstances causing this referendum...
Original post by jneill
The bookies have been narrowing the Brexit odds significantly. Still in favour of Remain but the trend looks bad for them.

1465920432472.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldn't be happening to a nicer bunch of lying scaremongers.

Their campaign has been pathetic. They had no answer to the truth that immigration is uncontrolled for as long as you are a member of the European Union. Non negotiable. And immigration is a radioactive political topic now.

Radioactive.

I see that some panic stricken Labour MP's are suggesting we try and modify Free Movement of Labour when we assume the EU Presidency next year if we Remain.

Ain't going to happen guys! Free movement of Labour is a fundamental principle of the European Union. And you are for In.

Unlike almost all of your so called voters.
Couldn't be happening to a nicer bunch of lying scaremongers.

The scaremongering is absolutely on both sides.

But I'll give you that the Remain campaign has been pathetic.

And aside from immigration, I also think a lot of people are fed up with the "Establishment" which they see as parroting an elitist Remain party line.

I would just say, be VERY careful what you wish for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just don't get brexit reasons for leaving, they're so nonsensical and fantastical.

"Take back control" - idk why but whenever I hear this I die inside, it sounds so ridiculous compared to logical economic arguments.

I just don't understand how so many people can replace logical arguments backed up by experts for obsessive ideological cringeworthy patriotic reasons. And anyway surely ruining your economy is not patriotic? Idk about you but I care about the economy which is what we depend on for literally everything rather than being able to... Well I don't really think brexit know what they want.

Oh and it amazes me how so many people trust Ian Duncan Smith and Bojo to actually deliver on their promises. IDS has been constantly trying to lower benefits and pensions so why would you believe the campaign when they say they'll put money into the NHS? - you really think Bojo would do that? A very important thing to remember is that every promise that the leave campaign makes regarding what they'll do if we leave, it's always a 'can' not a 'will'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending