The Student Room Group

The finance sector is sexist!!!! Attention

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I am responding to your comment about failures, sir. not well suited (not fully equipped, failed to achieve at that stage),not good enough (clearly you are incapable?)

Your wrote' It could just be the fact that someone you respect or trust has told you that you are not well suited, or worse not good enough, to pursue that career.
'
Or it could be that someone, whose judgement or opinion you trust, has told you the wrong information and that has stopped you from pursuing something.

Original post by J-SP
This isn't even about failure though. This is about being informed and supported enough to know whether the opportunity is out there for you in the first place.

Sure failure will also stop people applying, and probably the organisations who are recruiting people will be quite happy to let those people have that attitude (whether male or female) because to put it frankly, they won't want someone who gives up easily on their graduate programme.
Original post by KnightCode
Enlighten me how it is rigged for men?

Studies have been carried out submitting CV's to UK top 100 companies that are identical with the exception of the name at the top. Apparently putting a female name results in you being significantly less likely to be invited to interview and if successful at interview you will on average be offered £5000 less than men for the same role. I believe similar studies have been carried out for minorities, but that isn't the topic at hand.

I fail to believe this is a coincidence.

I'd also note that these schemes probably make up a couple of % of the hiring policy for these companies at most.
Thanks for all the replies guys! this was only a joke. Just wanted to troll. Of course i know there the male to female ratio in the finance industry is unbalanced. Hope you dont hate me now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Original post by J-SP
Yes the problem of crappy careers advice and people discouraging people from considering careers is still a huge problem.

Clearly you are very fortunate to have not experienced it.

HUH? that both genders.

My family forced me to study biology and chemistry and to become a doctor, but i disagreed with them, having a massive argument and doing computing now . It not like my friends didn't tell me i couldn't get an A or study computer science.

DO you JUST like neglect the fact that both genders are given "crappy career advice" and are discouraged.
Reply 64
Read the previous comments by that user. He wrote if wage gap exists, all companies will employ only females since they have 'market advantage', retain more profits. He was saying wage gap does not exist, and I find his argument super dramatic and unrealistic.

Original post by ComputerMaths97
Ahahaha please tell me you don't think the wage gap is real? :lol:

I'm going to enjoy this one
Original post by J-SP
A major contributor to women being over represented in universities is that they out perform their male counterparts in terms of academic achievement.

But like the initiatives we are discussing, universities need to do more to ensure they recruit a diverse range of students and I agree that a lot of work needs to be done to improve that. Gender is just the tip of the iceberg though, ethnicity and social mobility are much bigger issues that universities need to tackle first (and that includes recruiting low SEB while males).

Nothing needs to be changed.

This is what people need to understand. It's never going to be equal, forcing it to be equal would be doing whatever you can to make it unequal. It should be left to the natural numbers. The best, and only the best, candidate should be chosen. A company should not be forced to pick a particular person due to a quota, they should be able to pick who they want. This problem with quotas is that the slightly out of favour academically that are part of a majority (i.e white) find it much harder to achieve.

I find it no coincidence that in my local grammar school, only 1 person got an Oxbridge offer. This was a black female, who came 15th in her year in the course she applied for (maths and further maths). All of the 14 above her where white males and asian males. Try persuading me she was the best.

Original post by Elivercury
Studies have been carried out submitting CV's to UK top 100 companies that are identical with the exception of the name at the top. Apparently putting a female name results in you being significantly less likely to be invited to interview and if successful at interview you will on average be offered £5000 less than men for the same role. I believe similar studies have been carried out for minorities, but that isn't the topic at hand.

I'd also note that these schemes probably make up a couple of % of the hiring policy for these companies at most.

Okay 1) Show me the proof.

2) Show me the proof.

3) Show me the proof.

You have just made up 3 ridiculous statements, that imply companies are breaking the law. So if you are able to prove it then you better notify an authority otherwise you're withholding evidence. (Which is also against the law).

So you're either a liar or a criminal, your decision :smile:
Reply 66
Then you should not use 'trusted person told you for not being suitable, not good enough.' if you meant they have never started?

Honestly, if you have NEVER started, how does that trusted person know you are 'incapable'? If I heard such comment from a 'trusted' person, it will not even affect me at all because it is not convincing...

Your point about support is very true though,explaining why woman in business schemes are launched.

Original post by J-SP
I meant that someone hasn't necessarily had to fail though - they might have never have started in the first place if they haven't had the right support/opportunity/encouragement to even try.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Elivercury

Do you thing the answer to not being invited or getting a job (because the employee is sexist) is to force company to hire females?
I do believe that is it changing now, companies want more diversity and would hire female but we shouldn't force them
There is another study on how "being an attractive male would hinder your career"
there is also a study on how having a foreign name will decrease your chances.

So what do we learn? Employees can be dicks and tend to stereotype gender or race. What we can do to prove wrong? Probably you prove them wrong.
Reply 68
The company wants to pick females in the schemes and you cannot control either...so why bother?

This is what people need to understand. It's never going to be equal, forcing it to be equal would be doing whatever you can to make it unequal. It should be left to the natural numbers. The best, and only the best, candidate should be chosen. A company should not be forced to pick a particular person due to a quota, they should be able to pick who they want. This problem with quotas is that the slightly out of favour academically that are part of a majority (i.e white) find it much harder to achieve.

I find it no coincidence that in my local grammar school, only 1 person got an Oxbridge offer. This was a black female, who came 15th in her year in the course she applied for (maths and further maths). All of the 14 above her where white males and asian males. Try persuading me she was the best.

2) Show me the proof.

3) Show me the proof.

You have just made up 3 ridiculous statements, that imply companies are breaking the law. So if you are able to prove it then you better notify an authority otherwise you're withholding evidence. (Which is also against the law).

Reply 69
dicks= f__k boys ?

Do you thing the answer to not being invited or getting a job (because the employee is sexist) is to force company to hire females?
I do believe that is it changing now, companies want more diversity and would hire female but we shouldn't force them
There is another study on how "being an attractive male would hinder your career"

So what do we learn? Employees can be dicks and tend to stereotype gender or race. What we can do to prove wrong? Probably you prove them wrong.

2) Show me the proof.

3) Show me the proof.

I hate to break it to you, but I didn't perform these studies, I simply had them presented to me at an equality lecture as part of my professional development (slotted among other technical lectures I might add). No doubt the study is in the public domain, so I suggest you try googling it.
Original post by KRin
Why is under-representation a problem?

Srs?

Can you not step back for a momento and think about maybe just a 'few' reasons why?

Especially in client facing organisations..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quiton
Read the previous comments by that user. He wrote if wage gap exists, all companies will employ only females since they have 'market advantage', retain more profits. He was saying wage gap does not exist, and I find his argument super dramatic and unrealistic.

Think about it logically.

Imagine you had to employ someone. You have a £50,000 budget. That money not used on a persons salary, you get as profit.

Would you a) Employ a male at £50,000 p/a or b) Employ a female (with the EXACT SAME credentials for the sake of the argument) at less than £40,000 p/a?

Exactly. The theory and calculations that imply a wage gap ignore the current things:
1) The amount of hours worked (yes, it just takes an annual figure. Ignores hours worked completely)
2) Holidays taken (similar to hours worked, but this also considers maternity leave which is much larger for females)
3) Qualifications (If two people have applied for the same job, it ignores how qualified they are, just how much they're paid. Which is evidently a factor in considering wages)
4) It's an average of ALL JOBS. And if you think that there isn't a disparity between the jobs that men and women do then you cannot be helped.

It's just a total salary of all women/men, divided by how many women/men are in work. It ignores so much that it's actually less accurate than saying all women are murderers because the vast majority of children murders in first world countries are done by women.

How is the company being "forced" to employ women? The company wants to employ the best people available. If the best people are not getting through due to discrimination then surely having a path that is free of aforementioned discrimination is a sound way of addressing the issue?

You can look at it in several different ways.

The ideal of course is that no discrimination would happen in the first place, but that isn't where we are, so we have things like this.

As I said before, it's not like they recruit the majority of their workforce this way, so it really should make little to no difference to you as a man.
Reply 74
Well, there is a difference between telling you 'you SHOULD NOT' and 'you ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH'.

Original post by J-SP
A trusted person could be a parent or teacher. If you are in your early teens with little insight into the world, and that trusted person tells you not to consider or pursue something, there is a decent chance you are going to listen to them. Parents and teachers are sometimes not the best placed person to inform people of their future career prospects - they sometimes have their own agenda or they are ill-informed.
Original post by starwarsjedi123
Hi
i'm a male and feel quite offended. I have been browsing sites of many of the major finance companies, such as JP Morgan or PwC , and have seen a recurring trend. I am truly disgusted. I have seen many 'women in business' schemes which allow women to apply for less competitive internships, as males are unable to attend. I will not stop campaigning for equality in the workspace until i see some 'male in business schemes'

Honestly, i feel its quite despicable, that in the 21st century, i have been discriminated against. As a male i should be able to attend a 'male in business' internship.

rant over!

GG women blown the **** out
Reply 76
I dont understand, whats the issue? Most people who go into finance are men, there's no harm in wanting greater diversity. Finance is still largely meritocratic and as long as you're a good candidate you're not going to lose out.
Reply 77
The things you listed are applicable to men too,period.

Think about it logically.

Imagine you had to employ someone. You have a £50,000 budget. That money not used on a persons salary, you get as profit.

Would you a) Employ a male at £50,000 p/a or b) Employ a female (with the EXACT SAME credentials for the sake of the argument) at less than £40,000 p/a?

Exactly. The theory and calculations that imply a wage gap ignore the current things:
1) The amount of hours worked (yes, it just takes an annual figure. Ignores hours worked completely)
2) Holidays taken (similar to hours worked, but this also considers maternity leave which is much larger for females)
3) Qualifications (If two people have applied for the same job, it ignores how qualified they are, just how much they're paid. Which is evidently a factor in considering wages)
4) It's an average of ALL JOBS. And if you think that there isn't a disparity between the jobs that men and women do then you cannot be helped.

It's just a total salary of all women/men, divided by how many women/men are in work. It ignores so much that it's actually less accurate than saying all women are murderers because the vast majority of children murders in first world countries are done by women.
Reply 79
People assume all females are weak when they don't apply for jobs.... and then they insist wage gap never exist, they never read any newspapers, I believe.

Original post by drogon
I dont understand, whats the issue? Most people who go into finance are men, there's no harm in wanting greater diversity. Finance is still largely meritocratic and as long as you're a good candidate you're not going to lose out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending