The Student Room Group

Busines Managemnet/Marketing Work Experience

I am currently coming to the end of my AS year (year 12). I am hoping to get a week or two weeks work experience in the summer related to business management/marketing so I can get a feel for what the industry is about. I live in East Sussex and have been unsuccessfully trying to find some work experience. Do you know how I might be able to get this?
Reply 1
Original post by Quamquam123
I am currently coming to the end of my AS year (year 12). I am hoping to get a week or two weeks work experience in the summer related to business management/marketing so I can get a feel for what the industry is about. I live in East Sussex and have been unsuccessfully trying to find some work experience. Do you know how I might be able to get this?

Usually the only way is through friends and family. Unless your school careers person can help.

It's actually pretty difficult to get "relevant" work experience these days and isn't required for most university courses. Except medicine/health courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Usually the only way is through friends and family. Unless your school careers person can help.

It's actually pretty difficult to get "relevant" work experience these days and isn't required for most university courses. Except medicine/health courses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately my friends and family have few contacts and my college doesn't seem to have a careers person. :frown: Do you know of any websites that might be useful?
Reply 3
Original post by Quamquam123
Unfortunately my friends and family have few contacts and my college doesn't seem to have a careers person. :frown: Do you know of any websites that might be useful?

Companies are very reluctant to take on unknown school children for a week. There are insurance issues and it also means they have to supervise you closely, and have DBS cleared staff.

Larger companies are more likely to be able to do it. Try some of these

https://successatschool.org/advicedetails/506/Work-Experience-Ideas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I think you will struggle getting 1-2 weeks experience. Most internships are 8-10 weeks.

You could maybe try:
- physically approaching local businesses and asking if they have any vacancies? a lot of small businesses put marketing to once side, so can always benefit from a tech savvy millennial to set up/manage social media accounts and other marketing activities
- starting your own business? You will learn a lot doing that :biggrin:- doing marketing work online as a micro freelancer? (fivesquid.com kinda thing)

Quick Reply

Latest