The Student Room Group

3C and 4C Government and Politics 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EmilyPlatypus
Broken branch would be amazing :crossedf::daydreaming:
For 45 predictions I have written down: Broken branch, imperial presidency and something about the constitution preventing effective government - all of these predictions are from this thread from various people :smile:

If imperial presidency came up I would cry of happiness
Original post by MelissaaC
If imperial presidency came up I would cry of happiness

What would points be for that? (I've been avoiding it and focusing on congress and constitution :smile: )
Broken branch would be amazing :crossedf::daydreaming:
For 45 predictions I have written down: Broken branch, imperial presidency and something about the constitution preventing effective government - all of these predictions are from this thread from various people :smile:

What do you mean by broken broken? And how would you answer the constitution one on effective government - is that checks and balances?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would points be for that? (I've been avoiding it and focusing on congress and constitution :smile: )

Imperial presidency (term coined by Arthur Schlesinger)

- Foreign policy powers e.g commander in chief (Libya airstrikes 2011) and executive agreements (NAFTA and Reagan used over 2,800) also the WPA is fairly ineffective and can use Libya again as an example as there was a lack of congressional approval
- Can circumvent domestic policy control e.g executive orders (stem cell research and Obama's federal cut to funding on abortion in March 2010) , recess appointments, signing statements (which can also go under fp and Bush did this a lot, used over 435 and one when talking about rebels in Columbia and as commander in chief he was the only one able to make this decision)
- Power of the veto (Obama has used the veto 9 times e.g Keystone pipeline and in 2016 vetoed repealing Obamacare again) and can normally rely on party support e.g with the passage of the fiscal stimulus and repayment of Don't ask don't tell which had the support of all Democrats

imperilled presidency:

- Congress have checks on foreign policy through WPA, power to declare war, ratifying treaties (ratified new START recently) and power of the purse threatened to stop funding Iraq
- Congress has domestic checks e.g confirming nominations (they have only confirmed 76% of obamas nominees e.g they rejected Debo Addible as head of the civil rights department) and impeachment (Clinton)
- Congress can override the Veto (overrode four of Bush's including the Farm Bill) and recently the president has not been able to rely on the support from his own party e.g when 34 Democrats voted against Obamacare
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 344
I just said that it literally restricted them from voting (gave examples of laws in Texas as a result of shelby vs holder) which swayed them towards the Democrats as they condemn these and then gave stats for them supporting democrats recently

well then, you made your point, gave a good example and made an overall judgement, a good valid point, shows you've done your research, just have to hope the examiner sees it the way I do!
Reply 345
Why Caucus is better than Primary (15)

- Caucuses help build community cohesion and debate, something which is very democratic and what primaries lack.
- In caucuses where voters can move from non-viable groups, they reduce thenumber of wasted votes

On the other hand...
- Primaries are better as they don't alienate voters like Caucuses do, Caucuses have been seen to discriminate against people who work as they won't get time to participate
- Primaries have generally a higher turnout and quick to carry out
Original post by nta786
well then, you made your point, gave a good example and made an overall judgement, a good valid point, shows you've done your research, just have to hope the examiner sees it the way I do!

Thank you! Good luck with the next one and hope your exam went well!
Reply 347
President 45 marker:
I'm so certain it's going to be on presidential power:

'TO WHAT EXTENT IS THE MODERN PRESIDENCY, AN IMPERIAL PRESIDENCY' (June 12) > Perhaps more targeted towards Obama this time?

'‘Presidential careers can never live up toexpectations.’ (Jan 12) > We may get a reworded version of this?
Original post by Pato1
President 45 marker:
I'm so certain it's going to be on presidential power:

'TO WHAT EXTENT IS THE MODERN PRESIDENCY, AN IMPERIAL PRESIDENCY' (June 12) > Perhaps more targeted towards Obama this time?

'‘Presidential careers can never live up toexpectations.’ (Jan 12) > We may get a reworded version of this?

Could it be to what extent is Obama an imperial president? or do you think it would be modern in general?? I really hope it is not the second one am not a fan of that question
Imperial presidency (term coined by Arthur Schlesinger)

- Foreign policy powers e.g commander in chief (Libya airstrikes 2011) and executive agreements (NAFTA and Reagan used over 2,800) also the WPA is fairly ineffective and can use Libya again as an example as there was a lack of congressional approval
- Can circumvent domestic policy control e.g executive orders (stem cell research and Obama's federal cut to funding on abortion in March 2010) , recess appointments, signing statements (which can also go under fp and Bush did this a lot, used over 435 and one when talking about rebels in Columbia and as commander in chief he was the only one able to make this decision)
- Power of the veto (Obama has used the veto 9 times e.g Keystone pipeline and in 2016 vetoed repealing Obamacare again) and can normally rely on party support e.g with the passage of the fiscal stimulus and repayment of Don't ask don't tell which had the support of all Democrats

imperilled presidency:

- Congress have checks on foreign policy through WPA, power to declare war, ratifying treaties (ratified new START recently) and power of the purse threatened to stop funding Iraq
- Congress has domestic checks e.g confirming nominations (they have only confirmed 76% of obamas nominees e.g they rejected Debo Addible as head of the civil rights department) and impeachment (Clinton)
- Congress can override the Veto (overrode four of Bush's including the Farm Bill) and recently the president has not been able to rely on the support from his own party e.g when 34 Democrats voted against Obamacare

I cannot rep you because I've repped you too many times lately but thank you! I'll make sure I plan that one in detail :biggrin:
I cannot rep you because I've repped you too many times lately but thank you! I'll make sure I plan that one in detail :biggrin:

hahah dw it won't let me rep you either as I've done the same, hope this is useful!!
Reply 351
Out of all presidents Obama's one of few who's used the least amount of Veto. Also 0 pocket vetoes
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 352
Obama can also be seen as an imperilled president:
- Failed to get immigration reform done, DREAM got filibustered and won't get voted on. DACA is getting voted on in the SCOTUS.
- Can't get a SCOTUS Judge even voted by Senate
- Failure in bombing Assad
Original post by Anonymous_18
What do you mean by broken broken? And how would you answer the constitution one on effective government - is that checks and balances?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't have my notes with me at the moment but it would include things such as:

For broken branch:
Increase in party votes
Frequent use of filibusters
disappearance of moderate members
Hearing (or not) judicial nominations and judging them on personality (Merrick would be a good example here)

Not broken:
Healthcare eventually did pass
Congressmen vote for district over party most of the time
Bills with huge public support will pass

Can't remember another point for not, but I'd check the mark scheme for it :smile: I think it either came up 2013 or possibly 2012
what are the chances of broken congress coming up? didnt it come up in 2014?
Any 15 mark predictions?
I'm so glad this unit 3 paper was nice because I'm going to flop unit 4 😩😩😩

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone think federalism is likely to come up as a 45 marker e.g "to what extent / how has the federal gov acquired power at the expense of the states in USA" or something along those lines?
Reply 358
How Obama is imperial:

- Unwilling to work with Congress on things such as immigration so he uses executive order to get his way (DAPA)
- Imperial with foreign policy, went to negotiate with Iran and Cuba (2015 & 2016) using executive agreements. Angered Republicans (http://time.com/4265768/president-obama-cuba-trip-republicans/)
(http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/09/11/iran_deal_and_executive_power_a_dangerous_precedent.html)
- Obama has been notorious for using signing statements (https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/obama-circumvents-laws-with-signing-statements-a-tool-he-promised-to-use-lightly/2014/06/02/9d76d46a-ea73-11e3-9f5c-9075d5508f0a_story.html) Obama actually called Bush's use of signing statements as a 'abuse of executive power'
Hey quick question about today's exam guys. I did a decent 45 marker (EC reform) and 1 good 15 marker (pressure group). The paper was a dream and I guess we couldn't have asked for better, but for 2 of the 15 markers I ran out of time and was only able to get 2 points down for both :frown: One of them I mentioned a 3rd point but ran out of time so all I did was mention it and give an example. It sucks to choke in an exam and I feel like I screwed up big time. How detrimental is it to the grade for only mentioning 2 points for the 15 markers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending